Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 Tweaks

Options
  • 28-03-2000 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

This is an incredibly mindnumbingly stupid question...

BUT!

...Is there any way you can LIMIT your ping in Quake 3? Let's say you're a LPB, and your clan is playing a match in a mixed 2lpb/2hpb league. you've got 3 lpb's and one hpb. Is it possible to limit your ping so that you can play as the second hpb? If not, I reckon that functionality would come in very useful. Sounds like it's defeating the purpose of a real time, online game, but realistically, this could be used all the time by the quake community.

anyway, what's the lpb/hpb limit? over 100 makes a hpb? what if a lpb gets a really bad conn? etc. does it have to go on Modem/ISDN connections? someone define this for me please?

ta

Lucutus of Borg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good Questions there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I dunno if they exist for Q3A, but proxies did it for QuakeWorld (Cheapo, Quizmo etc.)

It's worth a look I s'pose...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

In my opinion your not a true hpb unless your playing on an anologe connection.

Lets just say you were on ISDN and you limited your ping somehow to about 101. By your stanards you are a hpb however in reality you are not. Your ping will STAY at 101 no matter what, it wont spike during battles etc. like a modem ping does.

You also wont get near as much packet lose and you are garunteed that your connect wont go ****ed up for a second right at that CRITICAL moment.

So in my opinion antyway, ping limiting on an lpb connect does not make you a hpb.

Although this is just my opinion and if the admin of this therotical league of yours (lets just call him Yoda) says differently then thats the way it will be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

using qizmo to simulate a modem connect in quakeworld(if you do it properly.. limit bandwidth to 33600 and add 3-5% packet loss), it is as bad as a modem, except for the 999 pings caused by having a **** isp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Yes it can be done be done with Qizmo, but it isn't acceptable for leagues, basically because all of the changes are made client side, and if you don't limit your bandwidth and simulate a bad line you will have a steady connect

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

raise ur cl_maxpckets to 60 and it raises ur ping by another 50

Some Q3 Network settings - by Sujoy
    3 Comments 04:29

I've been fiddling around with the network settings in Quake 3 to get the best pings on the Internet. It turns out that the settings that were best in q3test were doing more harm than good in the final version of the game! In particular make sure you do not use my setting of cl_maxpackets 60 since this seems to artificially raise your ping to around 50ms no matter how good your connection is. The default of 30 appears to be best.
    If you've used the cl_maxpackets command which was in my config, you should change this back to 30.

now he has spoken cool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ahhh that makes sense, I had it set wrong a while ago and ended up removing and re-installing q3.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Methinx in the IQ3CL an LPB is defined as someone playing on a digital connection, regardless of ping. So if uv got a member playing from the US on an ISDN but has 300ms ping, he's still a LPB.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

OK, here's a question to stir things up.

Using a TA to connect to SNL (could be anyone), I have plugged a 56K flex modem into the analogue at the back. This gives me an analogue connect (through an analogue modem) of 56K, with a ping of about 110, with very little packet loss. You know it's not ISDN when ure playing on it (it has that modem latency feel to it), but it's the best modem connect you'll ever see.

Using this line, am I LPB or HPB?

I've thought about this alot, and I have to come to the conclusion that it's HPB. The reason for this is clear when you think about it.

The connect is through an analogue modem. Just because the line is digital up until then, has no bearing on the matter. Most exchanges in Dublin, for example, are digital, but the one I am routed through at home is analogue. Using a TA to dial up, simply brings the digital connect futher along the line toward you. An advantage that people in Dublin already have, albeit, not to the same extent. smile.gif All the TA connect allows me to do is connect at the full analogue rate. People here claim to get modems to connect at 50K, whereas I have never got above 38K, even with a flex modem.
    Is someone in Dublin getting 50K connects with a flex cheating, as I can only get 38K? smile.gif

What do yeas think?

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

either way your still gonna suck rob so why bother tongue.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Advertisement
Advertisement