Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static Routing...

Options
  • 15-01-2004 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Howdee
    I have two NIC's on winXP (yes - on the same machine!) both with static IP's how do I enable routing between the two adaptors so traffic coming from NIC2 goes out through NIC1.
    I presume it's with the command 'route -p add' but me can make head nor tails of it.

IP's: NIC1 xxx.yyy.zzz.16 NIC2 xxx.yyy.zzz.148
    Default Gateway (NIC1) xxx.yyy.zzz.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

NIC1 is public, NIC2 is private

IP packet forwarding is enabled:
    (registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters)

If anyone has an idea/answer there would be a few people well happy with their unrestricted port access :p If we get no answer we gotta resort to TCP/IP over pigeon carrier!

Dizz

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gotcha - NT4 workstation has a button to allow routing.
    98 / 2K and XP don't (marketing reasons - not technical - the server products allow routing - at a cost)

it's a reg hack in 98 & 2000

Links
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html Initial PPTP release.
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2549.html Revised PPTP spec.
    http://www.ne2.com/ PPTP implementation

see also http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kprout.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Ok - all things I already know incl. the reg hack... the pigeon was a crack at a joke! :p
    I presume it's with the command 'route -p add' but me can make head nor tails of it.

That's the heel of the reel

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

type

route print

(when online)

and paste the lot in here....slightly hiding any public IP that may be fixed ...for your own good

what systems are hooked up to the second (internal) NIC, you will need to add a route to the net for each one of them too

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Muck here's the routing table as req :)
    I've 2 other boxes that need external access both on the same network as I. These boxes are not of the 192.168.xxx.xxx 10.10.xxx.xxx type private networks.

Dizz

(I uploaded txt format - easier to read cos of the text wrapping of posts)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the two NIC's are on the subnet no routing is needed - to get routing you need both NIC's to be on different subnets. eg: WAN / LAN

You also need both NIC's pingable - the MS loopback adaptor is a bit like pinging 127.0.0.1 - it doesn't go any where.

You can bind two IP's to a NIC - handy if all you are doing is testing.

A completely different topic is splitting the bandwidth.

The two other boxes - if they are using public addresses then they have to connect directly to your internet connection or you need to have a firewall capable of having IP aliases NATing to them... (You arent thinking of connecting Xp directly to the internet are you !!!)

Or do you want packets to go in one NIC and out the other - why ? I mean yes it is possible for machine A to use a different set of hops to ping machine B than visa versa - but why - only time it's useful is when you have asymetric taffic volumes or someting like that

===========================================================================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x10004 ...00 02 a3 06 9c f5 ...... Intel(R) PRO/100+ Server Adapter (PILA8470B)

Active Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0     xxx.yyy.36.1   xxx.yyy.36.16       1
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1       1
         xxx.yyy.36.0    255.255.255.0    xxx.yyy.36.16   xxx.yyy.36.16       1
        xxx.yyy.36.16  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1       1
      xxx.yyy.255.255  255.255.255.255    xxx.yyy.36.16   xxx.yyy.36.16       1
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0    xxx.yyy.36.16   xxx.yyy.36.16       1
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255    xxx.yyy.36.16   xxx.yyy.36.16       1
    Default Gateway:      xxx.yyy.36.1
    Persistent Routes:
      None

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

do you havea full class c , the mask indicate you do and that the broadcast address must be .255 ..... I suspect you don't and that the broadcast address should be otherwise . giz the first and last as in .1 to .15 please If I am right.

Advertisement