Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband cablenet service from Chorus

• 15-01-2004 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Has anyone connect with the Broadband cablenet service from Chorus? Looks pretty good value in comparison to Eircom. These are the details from the Chorus website:

Up to 512k Downstream
    128k upstream
    Up to 10 times faster than 56k dialup
    Flat Rate Internet Access - no additional usage charges or download limits
    5 email addresses (if required)
    Free access to Cablenet.ie (unison) content
    €50 installation fee (includes equipment / extra CATV outlet)
    €35 per month rental (includes rental of extra outlet)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Cablenet Broadband in Business is currently available in Chorus cabled areas Kilkenny, Clonmel and Thurles.

:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

You're right about the locations but it appears they now have a home service for a flat rate of 35 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭mobby

If its anything like the cable TV service they provide I think I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

god i was promised that too like 2-3 yrs ago, never happened dispite chasing them up. Back when used them for tv too, they were such ****. Won't go near them for anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The only company in this country I can firmly say are worse than NTL! They are up there with NTL for incompetence but not Eircom for sheer deviousness.

Incredibly bad service. TV goes out for days at a time with no warning..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

NTL broadband is class!!! :) Only porblem I had was at the start and after dealing with them on the phone they still couldn't fix the problem. A bloke in England working for NTL sorted me out in the end !!

Has only be down once but that was a european broadband problem. Great download speeds from fileplanet. I always get just over 70KB a sec :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

A word to the wise...

I broke with chorus 3 years ago. They spent the last 2 1/2 years chasing me for money I didn't owe them. Several times after I regurgitated a large ammount of information from chorus's own bills and letters, I was grudgingly told I was right and the matter was now closed. A month later I would inevitably receive another threatening letter. :mad:

The last one was a doozy - they were gonna take me to court unless I coughed up. I responded in writing quoting the facts which proved my case, and basically saying "see you in court". They backed off, sent me an apology and closed the account.

I will say nothing of the regular outages, billing screwups and universal rudeness of the customer support staff. I'd love to be able to support an Irish company, but until they can approach the levels of support provided by Sky, it's not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Ive chorus powernet. Its class. they dont do it anymore. Its an ariel on the roof etc no cables. 50 a month and no limit:D

Never had a problem with them. In fact my the whole house is chorus. phone and tv included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Have to agree with MickFarr. Had problems getting it in and there were a few issues after it was in (for 3 weeks - in which I got a refund for the time down) but now that the problems are sorted have no problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by mobby
    If its anything like the cable TV service they provide I think I'll give it a miss.

I'd have to agree, they'd start at a nice price then raise it 100% and then provide a really ****e service

I ranted about them ages ago in my previous Job in a thread here, It turns out they do infact read boards.ie as they said it back to me :o
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I've never had to deal with Chorus, but I have to say that they have the best radio ads. "The Bondai Beach of the North", and "Dart Spottin'" are classics.

oh yes from experience, I would hazzard a guess that they spend more on their advertising spreading misinformation than they do maintaining their network.
    I left them as they tried to claim thet the tv pictures that they gave me (with mono not stereo sound and which looked like they were beamed throught a duvet from the moon) were better than anyone else.

I wouldnt give them internet business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Their Cable modem service has a good reputation , their TV services don't . Same applies to NTL.

Outages are rare and the system performs as specified .

Personally I would take it if I lived in those towns, its one of the best deals in the Country....maybe the very best at the moment....it was €50 a month until recently.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

AFAIK, this service is still limited to Kilkenny, Clonmel and Thurles and not everyone in those towns can get it. Possibly because of their reputation on the TV side combined with the earlier, rather expensive 50 euro price, there may not be great take up. The service has been going since 2002.

As to quality, despite the limited areas and take up, one would have expected complaints on the broadband forum if it was ****e, however I don't think there has been any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

I’ve been using cablenet since August 2002 with no complaints. It’s a good service if you can avail of it. They have a 10 gig limit but it doesn’t appear to be enforced :)

Advertisement