Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats missing??

• 15-01-2004 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and gals,

Well i'm sick of me slow ass computer. So i'm thinking of upgrading , but i need a little help

right now i have a Intel celeron 550mhz processor (i know it's crap)
    10 gig hard drive
    6x dvd rom
    128RAM (well it's 127RAM ,, dont know where i lost 1)

and i dont know what else is in there.

but i want to add the following,, i was looking around Komplett and picked a few things,, let me know if i can add this stuff
    • Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz Boxed PC800- Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood"
    • Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis 256MB DDR- AGP, ATI 9200, DVI-I, TV-Out,
    • Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB 8MB- IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM
    • Crucial SDRAM PC133 256MB ECC CL2- Unbuffered, ECC, 3.3V, 32Meg x 72, 7.5ns
    • LG CD-burner IDE 52x/24x/52x black Abit IS7-V
    • Mainboard for S478/800mhz- I848P, SATA, ATX, Single-DDR, LAN- "Super-Link" /NERO SW, Intern Bulk
    • Cooler Master CPU fan Socket 478/P-4 - DI4-8KD3B-0L, Upto 2,8GHz

am i missing anything ?? cos i want this to work.

I have a free bay so i can add teh CDR

But what i want to know really is if i do add all this to my new tower, will it melt down on me lol.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Firstly, i assume your existing power supply can take the new load?

And then thers lots i'd change with the specs. I'll be back in a few mins and edit this post with newer specs. That ram is HORRIBLE.

EDIT1: How much are you willing to pay for the upgrades. Give me an absolute max aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I dont know what my current power supply is ,, How can i check ?

and i would spend about €600 on the upgrade.

if i got what i wanted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

You will definetly need to check if you need a new power supply, might be a good idea to look into a barebones computer (motherboard, case, power supply, fan).
    The only thing worth keeping is your DVD Drive and maybe your 10GB hard drive (you could use it to store your MP3's or something like that)

whip open your pc now, and look on the side of the PSU (power supply unit) for a sticker with WATTAGE figures on it, and all those important power details, write them down somewhere and post them here.

By then i should have a list for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK your missing some bits, you have never done this before have you???

You need DDR Ram not SD PC133, I recommend PC3200 400Mhz Ram.

Your gona need a new power supply (I have a hunch).

Thats looks like it,

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

Ok, heres my ideal specs for both an Intel based system and an AMD based system (all i really changed was the cpu and mobo due to the cash constraints).

Intel:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz Boxed PC800 EUR177.00
    Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis 256MB D EUR82.28
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 8MB EUR98.25
    LG CD-burner IDE 52x/24x/52x EUR46.36
    Abit IS7-V Mainboard for S478/800mhz EUR76.23
    Cooler Master CPU fan Socket 478/P- EUR49.16
    DDR-DIMM PC2700 512MB DDR CL2.5 EUR73.81
    Total EUR: 603

AMD:
    AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz EUR131.89
    Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis 256MB EUR82.28
    EPoX EP-8K9AI mainboard for Socket A EUR58.81
    Total EUR 569

As it stands the AMD system is a bit faster, and 30 euro cheaper than the Intel one. I know you might be thinking that 2ghz of AMD has to be slower than 2.6ghz of intel, but it just isn't true.

I replaced that ram you choose with some proper DDR ram, and i'd recommend 512mb as the minimum you run on.

If you are slightly adventurous (i.e. not scared sh*tless about your pc) then you can save an extra 50 euro by getting the Athlon 2500+ 333mhz, and then overclock it up to about the speed of the 3000+ at least! That makes a total saving of 80euro on the Athlon based system, and provides a much faster system. An athlon at 2200 is faster than a P4 at 2600+

EDIT: thats DDR 333mhz ram, but if you want you could get some 400mhz ram, as that motherboard can set ram speed independantly of the CPU FSB.

EDIT 2: Check out this link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

[If gamer then ignore]
    If you're not a gamer then you probably don't need a new PC, ok a 550 celeron isn't the fastest, but its very useable.

Check your ram slots, and if you have any free, bring the RAM up to at least 256. Just be aware that the current PC133 doublesided RAM may not work with your current mobo. Ask / check out on the web, what you have and what you can use - we can help here of course :D.

Buy a new 7200rpm hard disk. Your mobo probably doesn't support anything beyond ATA33 (speed of transfer over the cable), so if you're inclined buy a plug in card and a new 80pin cable.

Reinstall you OS and apps from scratch on the new drive, you could use your old HD as a secondary drive (use a different IDE channel).

That'll probably keep you going for a while, and save you a few notes that you might not need to spend - yet.

BTW: The 1k loss in RAM is for onboard video, which is fine for 2D stuff, just not good for 3D games, so that's why I'm guessing you're not a hardcore gamer.
    [/gamer]

D.

thanks guys

Mutant_Fruit thanks.. I would love to add all that

I dont want to buy it all and have it not working.

anyone want to build me one?

Originally posted by dazberry
    [If gamer then ignore]
    If you're not a gamer then you probably don't need a new PC, ok a 550 celeron isn't the fastest, but its very useable.

Check your ram slots, and if you have any free, bring the RAM up to at least 256. Just be aware that the current PC133 doublesided RAM may not work with your current mobo. Ask / check out on the web, what you have and what you can use - we can help here of course :D.

Buy a new 7200rpm hard disk. Your mobo probably doesn't support anything beyond ATA33 (speed of transfer over the cable), so if you're inclined buy a plug in card and a new 80pin cable.

Reinstall you OS and apps from scratch on the new drive, you could use your old HD as a secondary drive (use a different IDE channel).

That'll probably keep you going for a while, and save you a few notes that you might not need to spend - yet.

BTW: The 1k loss in RAM is for onboard video, which is fine for 2D stuff, just not good for 3D games, so that's why I'm guessing you're not a hardcore gamer.
    [/gamer]

D.

I do play games,, and i would play alot more if i could, my graphics card and processor wont let me

but the main reason i want a upgrade is because my design programs keep shuting down .

if i'm running Dreamwaever and photoshop my pc freez's up

Originally posted by NeVeR
    thanks guys

Mutant_Fruit thanks.. I would love to add all that

I dont want to buy it all and have it not working.

anyone want to build me one?

You could build it yourself it about half an hour.
    It really is not very hard to do and if you are having problems then you can always go back to the boards and ask questions.
    You don't have to be technically minded to build your own pc, there are so many articles on it (try google).
    All it boils down to is sloting the components into the right place.
    All you need is a bit of common sense and it helps if you spend a half hour reading up on it.

edit: having said that, I would build you one for a couple of bob, but you would get more out of it if you did it yourself, you'd be surprised how easy it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If you have an old Gateway or Dell or something, the chances are that a new full-size motherboard wont fin in the case, so I would advise you to take that into consideration aswell.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    You could build it yourself it about half an hour.
    It really is not very hard to do and if you are having problems then you can always go back to the boards and ask questions.
    You don't have to be technically minded to build your own pc, there are so many articles on it (try google).
    All it boils down to is sloting the components into the right place.
    All you need is a bit of common sense and it helps if you spend a half hour reading up on it.

I'd have no porblem doing it, so i might try it ,, I'm very technically minded

and if i had a problem i wouldn't be able to come online to boards, cos my PC would be in pieces :) lol

Originally posted by mr_angry
    If you have an old Gateway or Dell or something, the chances are that a new full-size motherboard wont fin in the case, so I would advise you to take that into consideration aswell.

I have a compaq presario,, it's 3 years old.. but i still have 1 year warranty :)

I have a compaq presario,, it's 3 years old.. but i still have 1 year warranty :)

I'm not sure what mobo they use, you can pick up a new case from komplett.ie for reasonably cheap (with a new Power supply), if you are still a bit worried about messing it up, go for a barebones system have a look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my advice is if you have a budget of 600 euros don't go with an intel system.

if you want some1 to bulid you a pc try www.elara.ie

THe one main advantage of Intel systems is that they have a higher FSB, meaning more memory bandwidth, but for most of us that isn't extremely important.

For your price bracket, the AMD would make best sense, especially if you go for the 2500+ and overclock it option. THats definately what i'd go for. It'd save you 80 eur over the intel option, and i'd recommend investing that 80eur into a better graphics card, for that enhanced gaming experience.

And jsut an FYI:
    Whilest 256mb ram on a graphics card is good, it might be better to go for a faster/better card, but with only 128mb onboard ram. The reason being, if you use high resolutions (greater than 1024x768) you would easily use up the 128mb, and a chunk of the 256, BUT not all monitors are flicker-free at those resolutions. At anything above 1024x768 my refresh rate is only 60hz, so 1024x768 is the highest i can set my screen while it is flicker free. So in game, its at that setting. So, if you have an older monitor, it might be better to go for a faster card than one with 256mb ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    For your price bracket, the AMD would make best sense

Agreed

Intel:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz Boxed PC800 EUR177.00
    Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis 256MB D EUR82.28
    Abit IS7-V Mainboard for S478/800mhz EUR76.23

Total EUR: 603
    [/B]

Why the PC2700? That would effectively mean you are going to UNDERCLOCK your system. The whole point about the P4c is that you might want to OVERCLOCK the FSB :confused:

Two budget systems on AMD and Intel (with the intel being more expensive) that provide the very best value for money would typically be based on the following at the moment:

AMD: XP2500 Barton running @ XP3200. Needed: good cooling, can get away with cheap enough ram (PC3200). This will typically run at about 400FSB using an nforce2 latest revision 2 mobo. Conclusion: very best value for money, great for gaming

INTEL: P4 2.4c running @ 3GHz with stock cooling. Needed: good ram (PC4000 at least) to get it ro run 1000FSB on a 865/875 based mobo. Conclusion: still good value but more expensive, best for maths, video creation and ripping and if you need several demanding applications running at the same time (hyperthreading)

Did I leave anything crucial out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Did I leave anything crucial out?

Think thats pretty much hit the nail on the head there!! (arent the AMD's the best for math? - judgin from SuperPi results and the like?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'd have no porblem doing it, so i might try it ,, I'm very technically minded

and if i had a problem i wouldn't be able to come online to boards, cos my PC would be in pieces :) lol
    if you do go ahead with it and you're in Dublin, I'd me more than happy to pop round one staurday or something just so you've got someone there if you get stuck. I'm sure you'll have no problems with it, but it can take the stress level down a few notches if you know there's someone there just in case.

I wouldn't be building it for you (unless you really do get stuck) rather just giving you advise as you do it, and things to watch out for.

The pc2700 is 333mhz, just like the CPU, so i don't think theres any need to go for anything faster ram-wise. This is a budget system, so i don't think there's a need to splash out for 400mhz ram or faster.

unkel: I'm not familiar with the motherboard you recommended, but if you feel its better than the one i picked, then say so. No point in NeVeR getting equipment thats less good than other stuff in the same price bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The price difference between Pc2700 & Pc3200 Ram is tiny (theres actually no difference in the price of kompletts generic Ram - which i know is normally TwinMos)..

Think what unkel was saying was the Chip you picked out is the 800mhz FSB "C" chip which has an FSB of 200x4 (200 quadpumped) which means you would be running the FSB @ 200 & Ram @166 which isint the best thing for performance as you can imagine!!

Hes just giving a rough guideline on the mother board to get, ie the 865 or 875 chipset (the ones that support 800mhz FSB) for the intels, and NForce2 based chipset for the AMD (rev 2 to insure 400mhz FSB compatability and to get to Xp3200+ with an overclock as the newer bartons are locked and are FSB dependant for overclocks).

I have decided to buy a new one,,

so tomorrow i'm going out to buy a new one

Wheres the best place to buy one

I have about €1300 - €1400

If you're buying new, then dell are probably the best.
    Don't bother going to the superstores, dell are hard to beat for new pc's.

Advertisement