Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email and firewall ports

• 15-01-2004 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I realise that this in partly a linux question and partly a security question, but anyway......

I've created an email server here that runs postfix, imapd and squirrel mail on Suse 9.0. Its behind a firewall, and I want the network administrator to open up the necessary ports. IMAP passwords are verified by SSL.

So my question is which ports to I need opened up?.

Postfix means port 25 for smtp, imapd would normally require 143 but since its verifing only using SSL, does this mean I only need 993 and not 143, or both?. Also, does would the web interface of squirrel mail require both ports 80 and 443 open?.

I realise that I could answer this by opening ports
    one by one and seeing what was needed and what
    wasnt, but I dont have too much access to the network admin and I dont want to be going backwards and forwards to him all day long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DaemÈn

would running a port sniffer one your machine tell u what ports were open and what service was using them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

993 is only for imap4 + ssl.

if its imap2 (port 143) and you intend to allow smtp then i'd assume that you would need the 3 ports (25,143,443)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Check the /etc/services file and you'll see how the ports are assigned to the services/daemons you want.

Advertisement