Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed line test but didn't pass it....

• 15-01-2004 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

So we're trying to get broadband in work. We rang up Eircom there in December and they did a few line tests and three of the lines passed. Great!
    I asked what the options were and we decided to go for the business line (1MB/512K). I tried to order it but was told to ring such-and-such and then told to ring so-and-so etc etc. Eventually I faxed through a page to someone who confirmed that she got it.
    I'd say that was about the 15th of December.

So we're back in the new year and no sign of BB so we ring up and it seems there is no order for us on the system. WTF? A pain in the ass, but ok we'll order again.
    This time the guy says that we can get the 512K down line with the 4GB cap but NOT the 1MB line because we're too far from the exchange for that!

Now this has GOT to be the biggest load of crap ever right? I mean if the line passes it passes there are no two ways about it yeah?

It's almost as bad as the time they told us the copper wires in our house wouldn't support DSL and we'd have to wait about 11 years for it! (I swear to God they said that!) A couple of weeks later we had Esat BT set up.

So what's the story? What can I say to them on the phone tomorrow? Can I talk to an engineer about this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Enygma
    Now this has GOT to be the biggest load of crap ever right? I mean if the line passes it passes there are no two ways about it yeah?
    Not necessarily. The longer the wire, the more attenuation and interference it will suffer. It may be good enough for 512k (likely RADSL), but just about.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Really? Sh*t!

Was hoping to get a nice 1MB uncapped line for myself there! :) Have we any other options do you know? Cork area, Kinsale.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1Mbit ADSL should work within 1.8-2km of the exchange. 512k RADSL out to 4KM max. Eircom may increase that limit to 2-2.3km if they relax the test criteria slightly this year but they are unlikely to supply 1Mbit beyond that .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

Its about 6km for 512kbit RADSL in the North/UK due to the higher quality lines.

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

As people before me have said that ADSL (ie full 1mbit or even full 512k) needs to be approx 2km from the exchange as the wire snakes not the crow flies ( :p )

Basically ur line is suibtable for RADSL which can take a higher amount of interference but the chances ull get fulll 512k speed are minimal (probably something between 256/512)

You could try Esat if your on an enabled echange or one of the wireless operators else its either 512k RADSL or sattelite it seems im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

listen mate, i suggest forgetting about those show of wasters at eircom if at all possible!
    i really hate them and their crap service
    we emailed eircom and utv (i live in meath) over a month ago as we passed the first test on eircom.net but didnt pass another line test(?!) which we thought was strange.
    so utv got straight back to us saying the line was fine and we had a lovely UTV Clicksilver bb within a week...no word from eircom
    now, about 2 days ago eircom finally decided to start ringing my dad asking him about his enquiry to get eircom bb, so he obviously laughed at them and told them too little too late!
    i also think that the introduction if ice communications' wireless adsl was the instigator into eircom upgrading the exchange here after such a long wait...
    its bloody typical..eircom dont give a sh*t about us when they dont have to but when competition starts rolling into town, THEN they start acting nice and friendly!

oh, and whats the deal with that crappy 4 meg cap?
    im not a fan of any caps, but at least the utv cap is 8mb's!
    and their hike up of line rentals last week has me hating them more than ever
    WAKE UP EIRCOM...YOU SUCK!
    (i'm sorry, im ranting....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Anger management classes, I think :D

ha!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

yes a whooping 8mb...i wonder how long it will take to get that :D:D

yeah, i know, i hate having that restriction..id love to be dl'ing divx's all the time, but hey, i'll stick to one or 2 a month!
    oh, any1 know how i can check all the time i've been on the net(between 2 computers connedted with a router)?
    id like to know how long i have left each month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

BMExtreme 2.0 will allow u to monitor the usage thru split computers. The pro version that is. I havent used it myself just saw it on a website earlier today

cheers bro,l will check it out

Advertisement