Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing hidden/old hardware in Win2kPro SP4

Options
  • 16-01-2004 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, about 30minutes ago something bad went wrong oon my machine, partly due to myself not trusting my instincts.
    I ran an auto-update thing for my 3Com NIC, it ended up crashing my machine and leaving me with a blue screen on startup complaining about a file associated with the NIC.
    I solved this by removing the card, rebooting, shutting down, and installing the card in another PCI slot.
    I've installed the card successfully, and assigned it the same IP settings as it used to have.
    Windows popped up a dialogue box complaining that the current adapter had the same IP as an older, hiddedn, one and would I like to change it.
    I clicked no, and carried on, as the event where I'd have second card of the same model in my current machine is highly unlikely.
    I'd now like to know how can I purge the system/registery of unplugged hardware, either choice by choice or as a whole.
    I was 2 clicks away from tackling the Registry myself, but thought it better to ask first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

If you run the add/remove hardware wizard, somewhere under uninstall hardware, there's a checkbox about "Show all devices".. which will list, as far as I can remember, all hardware known to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

In device manager go to View and click Show Hidden Devices.
    If that doesn't do it, take a look here and here

That link on the MS site worked for me before, was getting the same messages you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by phaxx
    If you run the add/remove hardware wizard, somewhere under uninstall hardware, there's a checkbox about "Show all devices".. which will list, as far as I can remember, all hardware known to the system.

That worked prfectly.
    Had forgottena bout that, was wadnering around System properties last night trying to find the magic uninstall hidden hardware button :)

Advertisement