Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 y do u make it so hard to play?

Options
  • 16-01-2004 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Q3 without a doubt has to be one of the worst games to try and play, i dont understand the need for such bs as 20 different cfg so each time u open up ur q3 it goes back to default and y is it that even if u update pb it kicks u from the server? this has happened me very often with the games.iol server. But the worst and most annoying has to be invalid_key, U go u check setup and there it is ur cd key but try to connect to a server and u get that bs.

Can someone plz help with this its really becoming annoying and i have yet to get a decent spree on q3 without some from of error!

does any1 know is it possible to get rid of all the bs and just use one cfg? I dont really understand the need for it considering other games like ut adn cs can do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

While I am no expert, I will try to answer some of your questions. Im sure as the day goes on, more knowledgeable people will have something to add.

I play occasionally on games2.iol.ie, and I only need 1 cfg file. As for PB kicking you, I presume you do have a legitimate copy of the game, and it is not cracked in any way. I know PB looks at your PAK files and if it finds any difference between what you have and what it should be, it will kick you. Same goes for invalid_key afaik.

Your best shot may be to join #quake.ie on irc some evening before you try to play and have a chat with some of the guys there - they will be very happy to help.

I know I have never had any problem connecting ot playing.

Bio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

delete your q3key file in your \quake3\ folder and your \quake3\osp\ folder

delete q3config.cfg in your in your \quake3\ folder and your \quake3\osp\ folder

load up quake3, it will ask for your CD key. put it in.

choose mods -> osp

it may ask again for the key, put it in again.

exec your config file

type \pb_cl_enable (put this in your cfg if its not already in there)

connect to games2 and it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

it does say something about pak files but i dont understand y its does this i have not cracked the game in any way but i am using a back up copy(does this matter?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do what zero says, failing that join #quake.ie

i found out where the pak stuff is coming from in an effort to slove the 10 cfgs to 1 i deleted the contents of the cfg folder in the baseq3 where can i get this folder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

em What configs folder, what most ppl do is, create a single config in baseq3, start OSP and exec that config, this will then be parsed with the q3config in the OSP folder, simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Originally posted by BioHazRd

I know I have never had any problem connecting or playing.

Bio

Connecting-No / Playing - Yes :p

Originally posted by bazH
    em What configs folder, what most ppl do is, create a single config in baseq3, start OSP and exec that config, this will then be parsed with the q3config in the OSP folder, simple really

i tried that but whats the command line

/exec cfgq3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

create a file called: "autoexec.cfg" in your osp folder. now any time you start q3 (osp mod) that file will be executed.

an example of a cfg file = http://members.boards.ie/ch/autoexec.cfg

if you use the example above:
    - comment out the line: "seta r_lastValidRenderer "RADEON 9800 Pro x86/SSE"" so you wont mess up your gfx if you don't have a radeon 9800 pro. (makes sense eh?)
    - change the name
    - change the mouse settings to your preferance
    - change the weapon binds to your preferance
    - change the net settings to suit your connection

post back here if you have any problems/questions

p.s: if your using the osp mod, to execute a cfg file in the osp directory, use: "/exec filename.cfg"

hth.

Advertisement