Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bushel, brush, or bush

Options
  • 16-01-2004 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

anyway, one of those things has weared down in the front of my rover 200, and making it noisy when i drive, tell me, is it dangerous? cause i have no money for garage at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Technically, yes, it is dangerous. Anything involved with the steering end is !

It's only a bit of rubber though (depending on what bushing it is), so it shouldn't be too expensive to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

how worried shud i be, i mean, what is the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the worst that could happen is that it will cause you to have to pay more as more parts become damaged from the abscence/wornness of this part.

Consulting your manual will probably tell you something like "May cause incorrect operation of the car's steering, or loss of control".

Replace it. Won't be that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worn bushes should be replaced ASAP really, esp if you use lousy roads and are crashing in and out of pot-holes (which proberly caused premature wear in the first place!). They are found in suspention struts and steering control arms both of which are pretty important in keeping you out of the fields!

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree that you should get it sorted asap. Don't know where the bushing is but it could cause damage to steering or suspension components or damage your tyres - all of which aren't that cheap to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

well on me way home i called into garage, they hmmed and hawed for an hour , unsure as what was causing the rattle, these are friends of mine by the way, anyway, they said for me to leave the car ver 2mw (sat) for sorting out. thanks for help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if your mechanic mates took an hour to figure out what was wrong (possibly still unsure) who gave you the worn bushing diagnosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

If the steering is off it is the steering column bush. It's about a fiver's worth of rubber but awkward to fit in! It is VERY dangerous to drive on a worn bush - a worn bush will basically be loose and thus loosen the steering on that side. This could cause a loss of control with predictable results...

Labour costs will vary so shop around.

Advertisement