Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost my WinXp key........

Options
  • 15-01-2004 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

like an idiot i formatted my hard disk and went to re-install Windows without checking if I had the cd-key. Its Xp Home and I bought it off Komplett about a year ago. I went through the activation process and the guy at Microsoft told me that if I changed computers, formatted etc it'd be no problem to reactivate.

Has any ever had to get the cd-key back off Microsoft? I have the CD, the manual (no the key isn't in it) and am registered as the user of the cd in Microsoft somewhere I'd imagine.

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

id say all u can do is either get some advice from windows xp by phone or get a new xp cd from komplett its not too dear tbh !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

why don't you call them and ask?

http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/contact/default.htm

For general queries call us on +353 1850 940 940 or email us at information @ contact.microsoft.ie (remove the space to email)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Christ, I can't leave ye alone for five minutes. Hax0r crap moved to Rubbish, I'll delve into that and hand out bans later.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

They should give you another key seeing as it's not OEM and you can prove you bought it from Komplett.
    I had a laptop stolen with an OEM version of XP Pro, of course when the laptop was stolen, the little sticker with the key on it went also.
    I was told, tough, it's only licensed for the machine with the sticker on it so whoever stole the laptop can use the XP key legally!

Do you not have the label that came with the CD & manual?

If not, give them a call on the number posted by Vibe.

Advertisement