Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Question

Options
  • 16-01-2004 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I have been using free hosting with Netfirms which has been really good, allows 25MB which I think I have nearly filled at this stage. It allows 56MB bandwidth per day and 1Gig per month, this was all fine until now. Now the site is picking up hits and because i've a lot of pictures I've exceeded my bandwidth so its temporarily shut down :( . Considering I'm a cheapskate and don't really want to pay for hosting, what are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I can't see anywhere thats going to give you more that the 1Gb of free transfer per month that you already have , you should probably at this stage buy a cheap hosting plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Buy hosting. If the website means anything to you spending a bit on the hosting will pay off in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

pref. one without bandwidth limits...

[edit]actually,i think i'll PM the link...[/edit] <- quickly looking at this: no limit, shared (ah well), approx €60 per annum...not bad...

You cannot get "unlimited bandwidth" - it's a myth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by blacknight
    You cannot get "unlimited bandwidth" - it's a myth
    True.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Ok thanks, maybe i'll consider paying for hosting, i'll have a look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 goateds

I am currently using the hosting company www.dxhost.net - dirt cheap, with loads of space and bandwidth. Is there any other companies anyone knows are cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by goateds
    I am currently using the hosting company www.dxhost.net - dirt cheap, with loads of space and bandwidth. Is there any other companies anyone knows are cheaper?

Actually I use them myself. The servers never gone down, and its by far the cheapest I've come accross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

i applied for dxhost.net 1 hour ago and ive got my webspace already! so far so good! it IS dirt cheap dont know how they make money at that price tbh

Originally posted by Carlitos
    dont know how they make money at that price tbh
    Because they are using a US reseller account...

• Advertisement

I dont care how they are keeping prices so low! As long as my site is being looked after im happy ! How does a reseller account work anyway?

A reseller account is simply a shared hosting plan that has alot more space bandwidth etc than the average shared hosting account, in which the customer can then resell portion's of the that plan at whatever cost they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daramunnis

I'm a professional webdesigner and I always recommend customers to go with dxHost if they insist on sticking with Irish companies. You can get cheaper hosting in the US, but not by much.

Originally posted by daramunnis
    You can get cheaper hosting in the US, but not by much.
    dxHost are 100% US based

As far as I know their servers are in the US. But their numbers start with 086 and 087 so they are an Irish based company. Are your servers actually in Ireland? You're more expensive anyway! Compare for yourself Blacknight and dxHost .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

I find it rather unusual that a US site is pitching prices in Euros. The Whois is obscured as well. Furthermore the domain was only registered on 12 January 2004.

Something just is not right about the way dxhost is being promoted here. As for H365/Blacknight - they are hosted in Ireland. Every Irish (.ie) website listed on WhoisIreland.com has its its hosting location included on the relevant webpage.

Regards...jmcc

From what I have been told, they're an Irish compay who've bought bulk server space in the US and are selling it here in Europe.

jmc you have 666 posts - i might be wary of you :P

As far as I know their servers are in the US. But their numbers start with 086 and 087 so they are an Irish based company. Are your servers actually in Ireland? You're more expensive anyway! Compare for yourself Blacknight and dxHost .
    Of course our prices are higher - we own our own servers and have invested in hardware, software and other resources.
    Ourselves, hosting365, host.ie and a number of other Irish companies are 100% Irish based. Everything we do is based here in Ireland and supporting the Irish economy etc etc.
    You cannot compare us to dxhost.
    You mentioned the telephone numbers - well we, hosting365 and host.ie all have landlines and proper contact details something that cannot be found easily on dxhost's site.

As any businessman will tell you, you pay for what you get :P

Originally posted by goateds
    jmc you have 666 posts - i might be wary of you :P

I also work for NSA. ;)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Although its no longer 666. but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Pardon me for a second, but I belive comercial posting like this is not allowed on boards. I see from dxhost.net that you are an employee of the company, their web designer at that.

I've notified the admins of your postings and the other dxhost employees, I'm sure they will deal with this further.

Regards,

Paul

They don't pay me a penny. So I'm not an employee. They just send customers my way. (Stop being a tell-tale too, this was just getting fun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dxhost.net

It has been brought to my attention that various people are talking about dxhost.net in an improper manner. Firstly, what has been said doesnt necessarily represent the views of dxhost.net

In answer to a couple of questions:

1. A company was set up over a year ago, but has since changed names and acquired a new domain ie www.dxhost.net

2. We are an Irish Company, and yes we buy server space in bulk from the US

3. We have a lot of respect for a lot of irish web hosting companies

4. And no, we are not dodgy:rolleyes:

kind regards,

dxhost.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

They don't pay me a penny. So I'm not an employee. They just send customers my way. (Stop being a tell-tale too, this was just getting fun)

Hang on, I'm not going to get into it. You are biased towards them.

Proof: your nick on their forum, is an admin.
    they refer to you on their about us page saying they use your skill sets to develop sites for customers.

it's quite simple.

Paul

Welcome dxhost.net :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dxhost.net

theres been quite a party Sposs :D

Hopefully we can all be friends/adults about this, and we regret some people have been talking about us without knowing the full story.

dxhost.net

Originally posted by dxhost.net
    we regret some people have been talking about us without knowing the full story.

So what is the full story? :) And why doesn't dxhost show up on CRO?

Regards...jmcc

Originally posted by jmcc
    So what is the full story? :) And why doesn't dxhost show up on CRO?

Regards...jmcc
    Or in the whois :P

• Advertisement

im just having a laugh. I seriously don't work for them, although your comment about me being biased has some truth, but then again, they are the company I use, I should be allowed recommend them. They made me admin on their forums to answer any questions any of their potential clients have with webdesign.

Advertisement