Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSH & DreamWeaver MX

Options
  • 16-01-2004 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've got a problem here trying to get ssh & Dreamweaver MX working. I've folloed the instructions here and I can get ssh to prompt for username & password when you attempt to connect to a site from DreamWeaver & it [ssh] connects, but DreamWeaver just times out on "waiting for site" when it tries to connect.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I know this may be a really dumb question, but can you connect to the host/IP using SSH without DW?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by blacknight
    I know this may be a really dumb question, but can you connect to the host/IP using SSH without DW?

yes. Even using DW, ssh connects. The problem is that DW doesn't.

What happens is that you'll attempt to connect to the remote site, and ssh will get fired up in a command prompt box which will ask for username & password, and then connect like any terminal session will. When you click the 'yes' button for "Did ssh connect" in DW and it then goes and tries to connect to the server, it'll just time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Not familiar with DW setup here, but what I'd do (and I use SSH port forwarding a fair bit) is ...

1) Verify I can SSH in with pwd/key (looks like you can do this)
    2) Once logged in, check that I can use the service from that host as that user (in your case I'd be checking can I FTP to localhost)
    3) When logged in (to SSH, not FTP!), check that I can use the service locally. In your case, I'd be firing up a command box and FTP'ing to localhost 2021.

Your host's SSH server must have portforwading enabled, so while you might be able to login (via SSH) you might not be automatically able to forward ports. Step 3) will help determine that. So connecting via SSH is only half the battle, can you use the port you are forwarding, locally?

Also, I've only used PuTTY to port forward once, so I can't remember how good its error reporting is, but ISTR that it pops up an error if the server's portforwarding is disabled. I use cygwin or Linux command line which gives me a meaningful message, so look out for any alerts or logging from PuTTY.

Finally make sure you've passive FTP enabled, as you're only forwarding one port (2 ports needed for regular FTP).

HTH
    .cg

Advertisement