Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom messed up my phone line and say ill never get broadband

• 16-01-2004 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

i got an extra phone line put in a few years back by eircom solely for internet use. now eircom say i cannot get broadband though all my neighbours can. seems to me they made a mess of my line when they installed the new phone line. they say i will never be able to get it in the future even if the new phone line is removed, my standard 56k modem was never great on the line.

are they allowed do this?

is there any legal comeback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ruprect
    i got an extra phone line put in a few years back by eircom solely for internet use. now eircom say i cannot get broadband though all my neighbours can. seems to me they made a mess of my line when they installed the new phone line. they say i will never be able to get it in the future even if the new phone line is removed, my standard 56k modem was never great on the line.
    Sounds like you didn't actually get a "new line", they simply split the existing line in two. This was standard practice, and, yes, they charged for two lines.
    are they allowed do this?
    They were allowed to do it at the time. They can only do it in exceptional circumstances now, (and they're supposed to "unsplit" the line if it is handed over to a 3rd party provider).
    is there any legal comeback?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Originally posted by Ripwave
    they're supposed to "unsplit" the line if it is handed over to a 3rd party provider.

can i do this at the moment? change to another provider?

so are they just lying about not being able to do anything and if it was "unsplit" i could get broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I work for an UK ISP doing tech support. We've had major problems with the spilting of lines. The process is called daxing. It involves a digital splitter on the line to break it into two parts. You seem lucky enough tho because I've seen many people who get this done and done wrong leaving them unable to connect to the internet at all.

Moving both your lines away from eircom "should" cause them to recombine both lines but they may still leave the dax in place cause the BB test to fail. From the dealing I've had with this in the UK the best way to do it is to ring them and sound extremely pissed off, something I doubt is at all a problem and before starting just demand a supervisor. When you get a supervisor mention complaining alot to different people and cancelling your second line etc. Also get there name and mention you'll write a letter saying it was their advise you cancelling under their advice. That should get them to at least listen you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Also knows as DACS or Carrier Line or Pairgain. Search Boards for those phrases , the issue has often been discussed.

The simple solution is to first of all cancel one line and then have the unneeded pairgain removed thereby restoring your single wire back to the exchange to its former condition. The pairgain should be removed in ir near your house and the exchange end needs re jumpering.

Email Helen Stanton, hstanton@eircom.ie once the ine is cancelled.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Muck

M

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by Muck

The simple solution is to first of all cancel one line and then have the unneeded pairgain removed thereby restoring your single wire back to the exchange to its former condition.

so if i cancel the extra line do they restore is themselves, or is it as Ryaner says they "should" do it.
    any useful threats or tips? like saying i am running a business from home and will contact some other business authority etc.

the link had talk about moving to esat but all the details are way over my head, is there any point changing to esat or am i just as likely to be stuck with them as eircom?

My understanding of it is that if you dont cancel the other line they cant do it for obvious reasons. If you do cancel the line eircom will prob do nothin other than turn off the second line unless you started asking them to remove the dacs. They arent bound by law to do this tho so that may not work.

If you go to esat then your prob gonna have problems with the second line for a while as esat can ask eircom for a debundled line I think it's called. Basically esat can force eircom to recombine the line but they dont have to either. I'm told they normally do ask for it from the start because it makes their life easier but they dont always get it. Ring esat and talk to them about it. They know for definite what your options are with them which should help you. I'd suggest you keep at eircom too. Just bug them enough about it and you might get lucky.

thanks Ryaner. i want rid of the second line anyway so i will ring esat and explain the whole thing. if it works (or even if it doesnt) i will get onto eircom and tell them esat said they would sort me out and i will change companies if they dont fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

M [/B]

i echo ricardosmith, whose helen stanton

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

i dont think they do unbundle lines even if you go to a third provider.
    I know someone who had this problem and he called esat and they said there
    was nothing they could do for him. It was eircons call.
    My suggestion would be to order a third line and tell them its for broadband.
    Then cancel the other 2 when you get broadband.

Ordering a third line for broadband is pretty pointless. They could very well split the line anyway from someone elses and he'd still have the same problem. Eircom dont give 100% that BB will work on a new line. They say it's 95% so sometimes it aint worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

You might try god forbid ordering broadband off wircom on this third line.
    Tell them if it doesnt work you dont want bb or the line and they bettr not charge you for it.
    Knowing eircon they will probab;y tell you to **** off then

Eircom wont do that. Trust me I've asked cause my line which was passing is now failing. I will get to the bottom of that soon but thats a different story. For this eircom will install another line. Charge u for it. And then they'll test it for BB. In that order and they prob drag their heels over installing a third line when u say netin about not paying so it gets to the point where u forget why your installing an extra line.
    Something I've been advised to do is talk to any eircom engineers you see around. Ask them about it and see if they know anything or would be willing to take a look. That was from someone in eircom too

if i was to cancel my second line are they going to come out to my house or will they just leave this new box thing as is?
    If they leave the box splitter and it mysteriously breaks down a month later do they have to fix it for free? or better still will they come out and instead of reinstalling a new splitting box would they setup my old line the way it was.

If you cancel the second line my understanding is that eircom just turn off the line at the exchange. Your second line may not even be paired with your first line. It may come off a neighbours one but thats unlikely. They may remove the DACS if you ask nicely but it's work they dont need to do. The only thing I can suggest in regards it breakin is it getting wet. Mice can chew away those seals very easy ;) But thing is it they can prove you damaged it or anyone else did they'll just refuse to fix it and then you've much bigger probs.

Advertisement