Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential job want reference from current job?!

• 16-01-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

hello , me again.

The civil service job I'm going for at the moment has asked me to provide a reference for my current job.
    I still haven't been told that I've got the job in the civil service yet, I've done the interview, passed the medical, given all eduational and work information.
    Basically it seems I need a reference from my current job (only been here since November 03) before they'll let me know if I've got the civil service job.

So how do I ask current job for a reference?
    "Hi can I have a reference for a job I might be offered? Yeah if you give it to me I'll be leaving if successful, if I'm not successful I'll stay here. If you don't give me a reference then I'm going to have to stay here and miss out on a much better job than here. No offence like."

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

most ppl understand that ppl like to change jobs.most wouldnt be insulted or even think twice about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by lafortezza
    hello , me again.

The civil service job I'm going for at the moment has asked me to provide a reference for my current job.
    I still haven't been told that I've got the job in the civil service yet, I've done the interview, passed the medical, given all eduational and work information.
    Basically it seems I need a reference from my current job (only been here since November 03) before they'll let me know if I've got the civil service job.

So how do I ask current job for a reference?
    "Hi can I have a reference for a job I might be offered? Yeah if you give it to me I'll be leaving if successful, if I'm not successful I'll stay here. If you don't give me a reference then I'm going to have to stay here and miss out on a much better job than here. No offence like."

any advice?

Get a manager you get on with to provide it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Get a manager you get on with to provide it?
    there's 2 very sound managers that I *could* ask but its still a bit weird saying 'give me a reference so I can get a better job than the one you gave me 3 months ago'.
    I suppose that's what I'll have to do though. :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

there's 2 very sound managers that I *could* ask but its still a bit weird saying 'give me a reference so I can get a better job than the one you gave me 3 months ago'.
    I suppose that's what I'll have to do though. :dunno:
    Claim you applied for the civil service job before you got your current job. They may be a bit more sympathetic if they think you didn't apply to leave them while working for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by seamus
    Claim you applied for the civil service job before you got your current job. They may be a bit more sympathetic if they think you didn't apply to leave them while working for them.
    I had the first interview at least a year ago. It was kind of a long term hope kind of banker job while I was looking for jobs back then.

I'll probably approach one of my managers and tell them that its from >1year ago, its a job that is directly applicable to my degree, and that the money is a considerable amount more than I'm currently on.
    I don't want to be seen as an 'abandoner' or as seeming to think my current jpb is crap or that I'm not happy they took me on last November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't want to be seen as an 'abandoner' or as seeming to think my current jpb is crap or that I'm not happy they took me on last November.
    Say exactly that to your friendly manager then:)

Advertisement