Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird windows install problem...

• 16-01-2004 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    A mate dropped a pc to me which was freezing on startup, just as the 98 logo came on screen. I decided to just format and reinstall windows.
    I formatted, partitioned it, and booted from the windows cd.

The problem is, it won't go past the pci bus scan. WTF?? I can't install windows at all!

It's worth noting I got it to boot into safe mode before I formatted, so I reckon the HD is ok.

Any ideas people?
    Cheers, Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i remember having this problem a few years back, cant remember exactly how i fixed it but i think it had something to do with the bios... (pretty damn sure it was!)

cant remember really better than that apologies, memory is sh** :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks bud,
    it's a ****ty compaq presario 5000. The bios options are limited to say the least. He gave me two restore discs that came with it, but they brought it back to a frozen state at startup too. I'm reloading the image from those discs at the moment, just to see if theres any change after the re-format. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Problem solved. Compaq's are weird it seems. Once I had the drive formatted, the restore discs rebuilt a new partition and restore image. All is well!
    Thanks Big Chief. :)

Advertisement