Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource Lying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by James Melody
    Was just on the Netsource site....

http://www.netsource.ie/html/access_solutions.html

Apparently they are still selling the RADSL package as uncapped which as we know it is not...
    Given that there's a finite amount of data that you can download in 31 days at 512kbs, there's obviously a limit. So what you're saying is that anyone who uses the word "unlimited" is lying, no matter what broadband product they are offering.

If Netsource choose to throttle you at a certain point, as long as they make it crystal clear before you sign up that this will happen, then they're not lying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Why do you insist on contradicting what anyone says on this forum. Do you have some complex?, jesus. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Unlimited means

Not Limited
    Without Limit
    Unconstrained

etc. etc. Netsource do not have an unlimited product since the summer but have a generous fair usage policy instead where you are allowed 4Gb a week and 16Gb a month, that is probably what Ripwave meant to say ....innit Ripwavbe. It took weeks fro the denizewns of this Board to get the chapter and verse on that policy in the Autumn but they may have changed it and gone unlimited again .

I set Poor Ripwave a complex demographic mapping matrix challenge yesterday where he is not allowed to mention the word 'Rural' under any circumstances. Thats probably why he is being a tad snappy today. :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I don't think its lying, its just their websites out of date. Ring them up and see what a human has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

unlimited when regarded "obviously" therefore means limited which therefore means the word should not exist...

Pedantics..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    that is probably what Ripwave meant to say ....innit Ripwavbe.
    Nope. There is no such thing as "unlimited". At 512kbps, there is a physical limit to how much you can download in 31 days.

If the original poster was complaining that netsource were lying because there is a physical limit, then, while he'd be technically correct, I think most reasonable people would agree that he is a crank. If he accepts that there is a physical limit, and that's not what he's complaining about, then he's "lying" when he says that Netsource are lying, because they don't limit how much you can download, they just slow you down after a certain point.
    I set Poor Ripwave a complex demographic mapping matrix challenge yesterday where he is not allowed to mention the word 'Rural' under any circumstances. Thats probably why he is being a tad snappy today. :D
    Hardly, Muck. Pulling imaginary numbers out of your arse that have no actual relationship to the real world might be how you get your jollies, but the only reason I ever bother responding to them is to try and limit the damage that occurs when people blindly follow your lead, and don't bother thinking for themselves. (As far as I know, nobody actually published IOFFLs statement this week, which is probably just as well, as it would only have served to make IOFFL look stupid). Your post yesterday was so obviously a load of utter crap (even by your illustrious standards) that it wasn't even worth responding to.

As for mentioning rural, I'm not the one with the massive inferiority complex, Muck. You're the one constantly moaning about how unfair it is that oreillycom won't install DSL in the middle of a field 20 miles from the nearest town. You don't see me complaining about the fact that towns like Longford and Clonmel have broadband options that aren't available to me. It's people like you who keep harping on about the urban/rural thing, not me. All I do is point out how full of crap you are when you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

kids play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Nope. There is no such thing as "unlimited". At 512kbps, there is a physical limit to how much you can download in 31 days.

If the original poster was complaining that netsource were lying because there is a physical limit, then, while he'd be technically correct, I think most reasonable people would agree that he is a crank. If he accepts that there is a physical limit, and that's not what he's complaining about, then he's "lying" when he says that Netsource are lying, because they don't limit how much you can download, they just slow you down after a certain point.

Yah! about 3.6Gb for everybody on a 48:1 contention 512k with everybody taking their full share of available bandwidth. The Restrictions are a function of speed and contention. As Netsource allow 4Gb a week I used the phrase 'generous fair usage' to describe their current policy. It is also incorrect to apply the phrase 'unlimited' to the pipe itself as it may be limited to a speed in the range 256k to 512k. It is after all an UP to 512k product . James Melody is not a crank for pointing this out Ripwave and you should retract that unwarranted personal attack.

The word unlimited implies that there is / are no restrictions but there are....if you bust the 'generous fair usage' you will find out. So I must side with those (everyone except you Ripwave it seems) , who do not concur with the description of the product as being unlimited.

(Shouldn't have mentioned 'Rural' to him Bizmark I won't do it again I promise :D )

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Is it in the Irish-makeup to bitch about stuff given any opportunity.

We have all survived for dialup for years at this stage - painfully at the hands of Eircom.

Now we finally have DSL, and NS, initially, were only company to have a service where you are allowed download as much as you wish, with no contract, other than the ofc foremensioned physical limit of the line given.

And ofc, give people everything they want, & they'll abuse it till it's taken away, or changed. People downloading huge amounts of data on a shared line just messes service up for everyone.

And again, unlike Eircom, they decide not to charge, but instead put the people who download a lot on their own contension - let them screw each other over [laughed for a good 5mins when heard that - brillant], and yet somehow ... some of these people on high contension still managing to download 35+ gigs/week.

I have been using NS for about 3 months now, being careful, staying under limit, it's not that hard [and my limit is divided by 10, since sharing line], I don't have any problems keeping under, and im very pleased with service.
    It's a cheap, always-on, fast [in comparsion to POTS] net connection, can't understand why people have to continue complaining constantly, yes we waited too long for this sort of service, and Eircom could always be better, but be happy with what we have now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Sinnocence

And again, unlike Eircom, they decide not to charge, but instead put the people who download a lot on their own contension - let them screw each other over [laughed for a good 5mins when heard that - brillant], and yet somehow ... some of these people on high contension still managing to download 35+ gigs/week.
    Heard that too recently - priceless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

<snip> but be happy with what we have now.

And there we have it folks, the reason for 'Rip-Off Ireland'.

He happy with it - as in stop bitching about everything.
    Bitching/whining/moaning doesn't get you anywhere, if you feel strongly about something, then protest in a way which gets you heard, and people are forced to listen, and make some changes.

Do you think that NS will change policy due to there being 10/20/30/...100 bitching/moaning threads on boards ?
    [using NS as example, not singling them out, or targetting them]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

and yet somehow ... some of these people on high contension still managing to download 35+ gigs/week.

Do YOU know of any of these people?? Did you hear this from Netsource??

Seeing as at full tilt 24/7 you can only download 31.5ish Gig in a week over a 512K connection, I see this as very unlikely...

Broadband in Ireland lags behind Europe, we have less availability and where we do, a poorer service...

If you had a Car for the first time and were told you could drive it for 40 miles a week, would you be happy considering :

(a) Beforehand you had been happy to walk...
    (b) People elsewhere in Europe were able to drive their cars pretty much as they saw fit...

The point I was making about Netsource is that they are marketing a service as Unlimited which is limited by THEM...not by any technical barrier...

Netsource have a download allowance of 16GB on this Unlimited service..

And the guys who were "over downloading" on the netsource service, after having been told by Netsource that they could "download as much as they wanted"...were not even informed when they were throttled...

Heard this from both NS & other contacts ...

I know Broadband in Ireland is lacking compared to nearly every country [i.e. norway, broadband costs bout 30euro/month for 1024/512], however the lateness of our broadband, and prices are still somewhat dictated to by eircom [since lines being used by NS]

One area of their site has not been updated, fair enough; I'd prefer NS to continue to improve their service, and spend time on things which help overall performance of their ISP, as opposed to dotting the i's, and striking the t's on their site.

Also, a policy which I'm sure NS could implement, and would piss people off a whole lot more; would be to report anyone downloading warez/copyright material [the people going over the limit, are for the most part leeching warez]

Poppycock...

You cannot assume that people generating a lot of traffic are downloading warez...

I know of several users at Netsource who bought a link for work, and were throttle without downloading any warez...

I have an uncapped link in work, and we generate enough traffic to be throttled on netsource....(We are not with netsource...and have not been throttled)

i'm not going to continue this arguement; I'm not saying everyone who downloads above limit is downloading warez, but i'd say a lot are.

You say your in a company with an uncapped line, NS have this option available also, for more money obviously. However most companies who have a lot of net traffic, will more than likely get a leased line - as 512/128 is not enough. If it is enough, and you are a company who needs more download capacity, and ADSL is sufficient, well then one of NS premium packages are more suited obviously.

Netsource are marketing themselves as a business solution... The RADSL package they call SOHO...Small Office Home Office...

Netsource launched themselves with all their products being uncapped..They then decided to move the goalposts...without telling their paying customers...

They now seem to be happy to give people the illusion that they are providing an uncapped service...

There are not shades of grey on this... Either the service is unrestricted or not... If there are restrictions then they should not be selling it as otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

will more than likely get a leased line - as 512/128 is not enough.

Err leased lines are grossly expensive (not sure on prices tbh but what i been told).
    If 512/128 is not enough just go 1mb/128 perhaps? However thats not really an option if you can only get RADSL.

If NS are a business isp then throttling your business customers without even a warning is not smart practice as these RADSL users will obviously have feedback to their company about the service and the company may decide to no longer get NS connections for their work from home users.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by James Melody
    .They then decided to move the goalposts...without telling their paying customers...
    ...as is mentioned in the terms and conditions that you signed up to....

Advertisement