Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When you were small..

• 16-01-2004 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

and you were running around your garden, what footballer did you pretend you were?
    And did you give a running commentary on everything you were doing? like I did :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think every boy into football did this.
    I remember the old Liverpool squad.
    Started off at aldridge and rush then progressed onto fowler.
    Them's were the days. :D
    Even in "heads and volleys" you had commentry.

/me sheds a tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never, ever liked soccer. I just couldn't get it when otherwise perfectly normal classmates would shout out "I'm Giggs!" before a game in the schoolyard. "No you're not, you don't look anything like him!"

*shrugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Strangely, Igor Shailmov. And then in later years, Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Ste-
    I think every boy into football did this.
    I remember the old Liverpool squad.
    Started off at aldridge and rush then progressed onto fowler.
    Them's were the days. :D
    Even in "heads and volleys" you had commentry.

/me sheds a tear.

Those were the days alright.

The great games i used to play all in the hope the Liverpool scout in Ireland would pull up and say "How would you like to play for Liverpool?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- ha ha I used to love West Germany so it was Ruminegge(However u spell it) or Schumacher when I went in goals. Remember the Panini stickers as well? I remember I used to blow everything I had on them, birthday money, robbed money from around the gaff, the lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yep and the silver shiney ones were the best and you had to swap two or more playes just to get a shiney one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I would try emulate Stefan Effenberg (used to watch old matches with my uncle) Always liked the German players and watched more Bundesliga than the English premiership. I remember though when someone would dive we'd call them Klinsmann or "doing a Klinsmann" as he was known to make a few dodgy dives. It's hard for us female soccer fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me and a mate were Gerd Muller and Franz Beckenbauer
    I think, dunno why!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Beckenbaur!!

That's the name I was trying to remember... thanks mike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Remember there was some ad on the telly for Prudential or something and there was some kid on it who said 'I wanna be John Barnes'

Well, that was the same as me. I used to run around pretending I was John Barnes when I was neither a)black b)male or c)Jamaican.

I was, however, a Liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement