Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

auto-login w/ password in winXP

Options
  • 16-01-2004 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

How do I get my default login to log automatically with my password?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Do you mean you want it to login with the password without you having to actually enter the password?

I don't think you can do that Fabre. T'would defeat the purpose of having a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Most tweaking programs like Tweak XP can do it. But as to the manual way don't know. Tweak will also switch this option off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I know it is possible I have done it before but I can't remember how....

You can do with w2k aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Something in Local (or domain) Security Policy?

ok found how

fyi

in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

create or modify those entry:

AutoAdminLogon 1

DefaultUserName your user name

DefaultPassword your password

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What about going into Users and Passwords and just unclicking the "users must login with password" option....it does the trick for me.

In XP?

And it still log you automaticaly with your password?

Well I do it with Win2k Pro so I dont see why you can't with XP.

for the simple reason that this option does not figure in XP user accounts settings...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP PRO - control panel - user accounts - advanced
    Button at the bottom to "require Crtl Alt Del"

Not autologon but...

You could also setup Explorer to run as a service - maybe even copy it as the default screen saver..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    XP PRO - control panel - user accounts - advanced
    Button at the bottom to "require Crtl Alt Del"

Not autologon but...

You could also setup Explorer to run as a service - maybe even copy it as the default screen saver..

What are you talking about?

The Autologon w/ password is now working fine for me.

There don't seem to be an option for it in xp menus but the possibilty is there in the registry.

6th post from the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Don't forget that the reghack only works for 1 user account...which makes it kinda useless if more than 1 user uses that PC because they'll have to log out as the autologon user, and then log in as themselves...

Originally posted by Fabre
    for the simple reason that this option does not figure in XP user accounts settings...
    Just use the registry :rolleyes:, same kernel, same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    Don't forget that the reghack only works for 1 user account...which makes it kinda useless if more than 1 user uses that PC because they'll have to log out as the autologon user, and then log in as themselves...
    Oh I wouldn't say it's entirely useless Colm. PC in my father's house (running 2000) has a few users that aren't me and aren't my brother. The two of us are the only ones with the admin password so no-one can break stuff. PC logs on automatically to the default account where everyone has their own settings for Outlook for mail and a few little tweaks (er, not using IE) so they can each have their own set of bookmarks. No-one needs a password, everyone's happy. Stephen and I (the two with the admin password) now have a system like putting in a root password for Linux but just not as good - we have to actually log off before doing anything dramatic. It's as close to stupid proof as Win2k gets (ditto expee).

Advertisement