Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Net Anytime Sign-up

Options
  • 16-01-2004 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Last November I filled up the online form for eircom net anytime,
    I then received an email from them asking me to respond to the email, so the service could be setup.
    Later that day I stumbled across UTV Internet, who seemed like they were better value, so I didn't reply to the eircom email and instead I signed up with UTV.

A few days ago I got billed for eircom net anytime, I never used the service and I definetly did not respond to their confirmation email, but I still got billed for €42.13.

Are they correct to bill me, I have called them but the guy on the other end, said that I signed up and that's that, he said that if I waited untill monday I could speak to someone higher up.

Are eircom right to charge me? Have I got a case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

According to the Terms and Conditions for "Eircom Net Anytime":

9. TERM AND TERMINATION
    9.1 The Agreement shall be deemed to have commenced when the Customer:
    (a) signs-up for the Service on the eircom net Auto-registration system, which can be accessed either through an eircom net CD or on-line at www.eircom.net, or uses the Service or, uses the Service when any "opt out" period that may apply has expired;
    (b) and it shall remain in full force and effect until terminated

And further down, it says:

9.8 If a Customer is offered an "opt out period" by eircom net during registration, the Customer must revert within seven days of the Service confirmation being sent, in the manner required, in order to cancel the Service.

Does that refer to the e-mail that you got? If it does, did you reply in time?

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Last November I filled up the online form for eircom net anytime,
    I then received an email from them asking me to respond to the email, so the service could be setup.
    Are you 100% sure? Have you a copy of this email? Cos that's not the way that you get signed up. If you signed up online, then the account is active almost immediately, and you get an email a few days later to tell you that your acount has been accepted and you will be billed at the next billing period.
    If you sign up over the phone, it's exactly the same process except that you give your details to an eircom guy (and he gets commission...but anyway...).

Yeah basically, I don't think you read the email correctly. Of course I could be wrong. If you did, just cancel the service and bite the €29.99 bullet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I have been searching everywhere for the email, but I can't find it.
    On second thoughts, it might have been an opt-out email, although at the time I was convinced it was an opt-in email.

I only made two phone calls to the 1893 number and on both occasions it didn't connect, that is why I thought the registration didn't go through, is there any chance of me just paying for the two 1893 calls (of 22 seconds duration each).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

When you sign up on the webpage you've signed up to the service.
    It takes approx. 2 hours for the account to become active on the servers.
    The email you received would have been to tell you that your account had been accepted (meaning it was accepted onto your phonebill) and to remind you to dial up using the 1893 number.

Killian

Advertisement