Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No resistance in postwar Germany!

Options
  • 16-01-2004 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm late hearing about this. I've heard people say that the Allies faced armed resistance in postwar reconstruction of Germany.
    That's what tanker woman Condi tried to pass off, of course it was BS .
    I guess this is what happens when you try to run a government like a business and hire PR firms to "sell" tthings like.....WAR.
    "God protect me from your followers".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

War is good for business, Peace is good for Business...getting people to like it can be a problem
    Rice indicated this was "normal" postwar chaos. Just as Hitler's "werewolves" attacked allied forces in 1945, she said, Saddam's diehards were harassing Americans today. Don't worry about it. All postwars are hell

Yep...spin and bull**** it maybe, Fox news may think otherwise...

I wonder how long will America hold its grip on Iraq, considering the wealth of oil, administration worries, security fears......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

Erm, the man has taken that quote out of context from Beevor's book. Beeevor list examples of German guerilla activity after MAy 8, including the attack on a Soviet prison camp which released abt 100 prisoners. Werewolve was a joke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The only "military" actions I have heard of in post-war Germany (western sectors) was reprisals (i.e. extra-judicial executions / assassinations) against mid-ranking Nazis certainly by the British, probably by others. One million or more German POWs died in camps after the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Victor
    One million or more German POWs died in camps after the war.

Soviet Camps , the British (the Canadians had a lot of the British prisoners) and the Americans lost very few .

Millions of Germans died in the period 1945-1950 , mainly in Soviet camps and in ethnic cleansing exercises in what is now Poland and thereabouts.

Latvian resistance to the Soviets continued well into the 1950's .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Another point - many Germans welcomed the western Allies and did not resist, knowing that life under the Russians would be much worse.
    "SS officers - called 'werewolves' - engaged in sabotage and attacked both coalition forces and those locals cooperating with them, much like today's Baathist and Fedayeen remnants,"
    Weren't they called the Allies back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Another point - many Iraqis welcomed the Coalition forces and did not resist, knowing that life under the Baathists would be much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by TomF
    Another point - many Iraqis welcomed the Coalition forces and did not resist, knowing that life under the Baathists would be much worse.

The Kurds perhaps ? 10 years ago ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

A german friend of mine told me that in her village they actually welcomed the troops in and the only SS guy in the city was murdered by the neighbours before the troops arrived.

Advertisement