Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New processor

• 16-01-2004 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭

Im looking to upgrades my 1.1ghz Athlon processor, but have never upgraded a processor before and wanted to make sure I bought the right one, I know I need a socket A motherboard compatible one but is there any other limits that I have to be aware of.

I have my eye on CPU.

If you need me to provide any details beyond the processor speed I can dig around to find it, also open to suggestions on speed/prices, anything up to about 150 euro is fine.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DaemÈn

you will have to check your motherboard manual and check what cpu's it supports - enen though it is socket A, it may only support up to a certain speed. Chances are that if it doesn't support the speed cpu you want to buy, you will be able to get a software update for the mother board that will allow u to use the new cpu .... you shouldn't have any problems. also u might want to check what cpu's your heatsink & fan are rated for - u may have to replace this too.

DaemÈn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

As above, but heres a list of what you need to check.

1) Supported processors (usually found on manufacturers website, i know epox have a list for each motherboard). New bios firmwares sometimes mean new processors are suported.

2) Double check heat sink. This might be hard to decide if its suitable or not. If you;re uncertain, just buy the new processor, and monitor the tempreture for the first few hours at least! probably the first day or 2 to be safe.

3) Also take into account, is it worth just upgrading the processor. Do you have at least 512mb ram, and fast(ish) ram? Do you have enough HD space, do you need a new GFX card. If so, you might be bettter of getting a new mobo etc. The performance boost by inserting a new cpu into a computer with aging parts won't be that great.

Advertisement