Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Halo considered good?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

Halo is my Favourite game for the following reasons.

Best AI I have ever seen in a game (Play it on Legendary).
    Vehicles are easy to control and a huge laugh.
    No bosses.
    The Health/shield system is a stroke of genius, giving you a second chance when you mess up.
    Some classic levels such as the beach landing (Admittedly repetitive later on)
    Excellent music and fantastic surround sound.
    Great graphics at the time and I think they hold up pretty well still.
    Co-op
    Multiplayer which I have not grown tired of after 2 years.

No doubt Halo 2 will improve on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Hey Lenny, you suck ar5e! See me insult you Lenny! Lap it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Halo is a brilliant game.
    I must have clocked up at least 200 hours playing it.
    First off it looks great (look at the sun and strafe in behind a tree, amazing).
    The atmosphere created by the game is brilliant, its what 5.1 systems were made for.
    Battles where you have marines on your side are spectacular (beach landing prime example).
    The recharging shield is a work of genius that adds so much to the game. (you're crouched behind a rock willing it to recharge before an elite comes around to finish you off, tense as hell).
    The co-op has to be the best element so blitz...whatever, its pointless talking about the game without trying this first, and I mean trying with some one who can play not your sister.
    Also the multiplayer in any game is crap if people camp.
    The weapons are finely balanced with everyone serving its purpose. Yes the pistol is the best weapon but there are ways around it in multiplayer. Yes the human weapons are generic but the covenent weapons are unique, the needler imparticular providing some great explosions.
    Also the grunts are hilarious and I don't know how anyone could find them annoying.
    Some one else mentioned one bullet kills? only happens on easy Im afraid. Play on a proper difficulty. (talk about kills when you've taken a few elites down on legendary).
    There's more stuff too but a lot of its been pointed out.
    I await the envitable whining from the anti-xbox gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i really should have phrased the title of this topic better...

Siefer granted i have to try co-op and i have been trying but in so far its unavailable on pc version and my m8s on the x-box perfer for a few rounds of CTF instead. (i'll offer money next time) On the multiplayer the weapons may be balanced but no one on either pc multiplayer or xbox multiplayer can be fuked using the covenent weapons they stick to pistol, machine gun, sniper, rocket. Which makes the only time using a covenet weapon is in single player (and only when i am totally out of ammo for the other guns)

anyway i'll try and play the co-op.

aNd on the title it should have been why is halo considered the greatest/ soo goood/ amazingly original.

or some of the other OTT explanations of the game. When in my opinion its a good fun game but nothing amazingly unique or brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

Blitzkrieg you obviously dont know the weapons or the game very well. some of the covenant weapons are extrememly useful in multiplayer. both plasma weapons are lethal when used in combination with the assault rifle or shotgun. they deplete shields extrememly quick. i'll admit....the needler is a pile of poo in most situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Just finished it on the P.C last night :D Endings good but not great tho. One thing i noticed was the advert on the bilboard on the pillar of autumn, for the lost cat called jonesy *L* Nice aliens reference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Halo may not be the best game ever :) but it is still probably my favourite. For me its appeal comes from various sources - the vehicles, the weapon balance, the enemy AI, the seemingly endless snippets of dialog, the soundtrack, and of course, the story. I don't necessarily mean the plot, which is pretty straight-forward. I mean the context that Halo exists in.

Throughout the game there are many things that can lead you to ask questions about why the Halo universe is the way it is. For example, why is there this alien construct that happens to support human biology so well? Who were the Forerunners? Where did the Flood come from? Why not just destroy all the Flood if they're so dangerous, instead of keeping samples for study? And why build a 10,000km diameter weapon that doesn't even destroy the threat it is supposed to prevent, but rather the potential victims (and food) of that threat?

These kinds of questions have led me to find a vibrant community of Halo players and story speculators out there, and this is one reason why Halo has continued appeal. Every time I play it, I'm looking out for the details (large and small) that may add to my understanding of the meaning of the environments and enemies.

Besides all that, which is really to do with the single-player experience, the multi-player side of the game is also great, with a large variety of game-types and environments. Using software such as XBConnect I can play Halo (XBox) over the Internet.

So, for me, it's about the story, and the online community surrounding Halo and Bungie. But above all, it's because the game is fun :)

If anyone's interested, check out http://halo.bungie.org - one of the best Halo/Bungie fan sites around.

Ciarán

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

...cos Jesus had one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

halo is a good game, but by no means is it great. i'm not an xbox expert, not owning one and all, but my brother has one and used to own halo. i thought it was an excellent game, and the best one on xbox at that time (probably still is, noting how much attention halo2 is getting in xbox magazines).

but i think "killzone" for ps2 looks a lot more promising then halo2. that may just be my bias towards ps2, but i geniunely think it looks prettier and seems to be far more advanced in all respects. but that's just me :)

No ps2 game, now or ever, could look "prettier" than halo and thats not xbox bias its just cold hard fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Halo is *not* a brilliant game, not at all, someone who claims that it is has not played enough games. In every way it has been surpassed, everything has been done already blah blah blah.

For those who say its the best FPS on a console clearly dont know the joy of Goldeneye, the *definitive* fps console game.

Wasnt arse reading the replies so ignore me if you've heard this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Seifer
    No ps2 game, now or ever, could look "prettier" than halo and thats not xbox bias its just cold hard fact.
    The thing is, all console games are eventually played through a TV, which has lower end-resolution when compared to a monitor or data projector and all the anti-aliasing in the world won't fix that.
    Not to mention on PAL/NTSC you only get an effective framerate of 25fps/30fps respectively (50Hz and 60Hz interlaced).

I was talking about halo on the xbox and wasn't refering to things like screens and projectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Right, I dont mean to be rude, but the simple fact is, you cannot have more fun than you do with 4 Xbox's, a switch, 16 mates,about 100 cans of your preferance and of courses 4 copies of Halo.

I agree, the single player gets crappy the second time round,that is if you started on easy,which is a sin. Try it on Legendary.If you finish legendary you know how great this game is.

I personally believe that the people who dont like Halo, or think there are better multiplayer games are the people who reckon a multiplayer game happens at 4 in the morning against some guy in Australia who you are playing over the Net.

Thats bull cos you get 1000 times the enjoyment from scarpering with your best mates flag on Blood Gulch.

Bout the weapons, get yourself a plasma rifle and hockey someone from 20 yards. He wont move to far let me tell ya. Also, I doubt anyone who ragged Halo's weapons actually has ever tested them. The needler is brutal in level which have a full gravity atmosphere i.e. Wizard or Hang em High but have a go on derelict, they are the best in the business then.

Halo is the most fun multiplayer game around, if you play it with your mates and nobody camps. Come on, punch someone in the back of the head,your gonna be in love with that Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

by your reckoning than syxpak, a snes can look as pretty as a ps2 ?

or a ps2 can look as pretty as a ps3 ?

anyway, Halo is probably my favourite fps along with Deus Ex and Half Life, i'd still play Halo, the other two not so much. This is halo xbox btw.

Originally posted by astrofool
    by your reckoning than syxpak, a snes can look as pretty as a ps2 ?

or a ps2 can look as pretty as a ps3 ?
    Now where did I infer that?
    Obviously a snes doesn't have the graphic generating capibilities of a modern console, but the current generation of TVs (Excluding HDTV etc. obviously) will always be the limiting factor for consoles in terms of definition and framerate.
    And Halo didn't impress me graphically on the XBox.

anyway, Halo is probably my favourite fps along with Deus Ex and Half Life, i'd still play Halo, the other two not so much. This is halo xbox btw.
    SP or MP?

Originally posted by Draupnir

I personally believe that the people who dont like Halo, or think there are better multiplayer games are the people who reckon a multiplayer game happens at 4 in the morning against some guy in Australia who you are playing over the Net.

And personally think your a moron, but no offence :p

My favourite multiplayer games:
    (no order)

Diddie-kong,mario kart 64, golden-eye, super smash brothers, pes2, cs, halflife, red alert etc...

Its not the format for me, its the gameplay and halo just doesnt cut it.

Right, I dont mean to be rude, but the simple fact is, you cannot have more fun than you do with 4 Xbox's, a switch, 16 mates,about 100 cans of your preferance and of courses 4 copies of Halo.

32-player Desert Combat on a LAN.

Appologies for the second post, but I only just noticed this:
    I'm jsut after running GalwayLAN8 with over 36 people attending and playing games.
    I still think halo doesn't cut it, ahving played it on LAN at Gl7 under similar cirumstances.
    No-one wanted to play it this time round.

Also, I doubt anyone who ragged Halo's weapons actually has ever tested them. The needler is brutal in level which have a full gravity atmosphere i.e. Wizard or Hang em High but have a go on derelict, they are the best in the business then.
    Feels like....pissing through a wet sanitary towel.
    Halo is the most fun multiplayer game around, if you play it with your mates and nobody camps. Come on, punch someone in the back of the head,your gonna be in love with that Xbox
    Like Sangre state above, you just haven't played enough games lad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SyxPak
    32-player Desert Combat on a LAN.

You never know, all the Xbox fan boys might get DC when they get Battlefield :)

I like Halo, and yes like the forum topic - I consider it to be a good game, for me it’s a different type of game play experience then other games, it’s not something stupid like just how it looks.

• Advertisement

They'll have fun with the swapfile, that thing's a beast on memory in large games, something the XBox is sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by Seifer

killzone

more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Halo looks like muck.

Rubbish implementation of enviornmental bumpmapping.

Even worse textures.

Games only look as good as the talent behind them, and halo had very subpar graphics.

Even on the PC with everything up full.

Halo Pc and Halo xbox are tow completely differnet games in my opinion. the pc version dosnt compare...it just dosnt work....
    in terms of graphics..halo is nearly 2.5 years old so you cant compare them to graphics nowadays.
    DC is a great game and excellent over lan but is a lot harder to set up... 16 player halo can be done anywhere and is extrememly easy to set up....
    wow...that game killzone is looking pretty slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jesus christ X-Box lans are easier to set up!

My hole. First you need 16 X-Boxes. with 16 TV's to match.

I've had 8 people at lans in my house, without any effort.

I don't know where they would get the TV's from for the Xbox!

And if someone even mumbles about having 4 players split-screen on the Xbox I'm going to hit them.
    You can't play deathmatch split-screen.
    It's a law.
    And DC is not hard to setup.
    You download it, install it and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I can't believe ppl are dissin Halo. i have been a PC and Console gamer all my life and I admit that Halo is far from original. But I think that it is very fun to play on the XBOX (Didn't play PC version). It's like the XBOX joypad was just made for this game. Everything is where it should be. It's the second Joypad that i think is superior to Mouse and Keyboard for FPS's (The other being NINTENDO 64's Joypad). Multiplayer is great. It's a different experience having your friends all around you playing a game and playing with people you don't even know online. For FPS's i prefer to play against my friends rather then online. The story is great. Co-op superb. In my oppinion people who don't like this game either don't like FPS's or don't know what a good game is! You can never judge a console game to a PC game as PC gmaes can be updated easily to become better while consoles games can't. Have an open view people!

Originally posted by Adrian
    In my oppinion people who don't like this game either don't like FPS's or don't know what a good game is!

Ehhh no, you're wrong there. It is in fact the exact opposite.
    You can never judge a console game to a PC game as PC gmaes can be updated easily to become better while consoles games can't. Have an open view people!

We do have an open view, so open in fact that we play loads of games and judge each on their merits and Halo just isnt the game its made out to be.

Syxpac, Im not saying the game is hard to set up im saying lans are...they take alot of organisation... Giblet...whoevver said 16 xboxes and 16 tv's! you only need 4 of each which are easy to come by. split screen works fine Syxpac... done it many a time and works very well in team games. so go on hit me! :D

• Advertisement

*Smack*

Please heed the might of the righteous K

Lans aint that hard to organise, except on large scale.
    Look at Room101.org
    They're springing up all over the place.

Advertisement