Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today's Observation:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

how do you say goodbye when you know its time to go, when you know they wont accept it... when you know the tears will run on and on
    how do you leave it all behind
    how do you let them each know how much they meant each in thier own special way
    how do you say goodbye

we are constantly saying goodbye, each and everyday... not knowing that one day it will be the last time

so what is it that you do in your life everyday that makes it ok if you never return?
    do you smile to each passing face, do you look into thier eyes
    do you give a part of you away with each embrace

how can you make it easier for them to let you go,
    how can you help them understand...

you have to be passionate and live everyday full to the brim
    you have to want to live life to the fullest and let it take you where it will
    you have to know what happiness is and share it with everyone you can

when you leave you wll be missed,
    tears will be shed
    hearts will break and souls will split
    when you leave you leave something behind
    each person has something all thier own
    every tear will fall into a smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sometimes, you find yourself more animal than human, which is funny considering that we are all animals first and humans second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

"it always happens in 3s" i said to my 9 year old son refering to a string of bad luck he was having. "what are you on about dad we were at the swimming pool", he rolled his eyes up to the heavens sighed and walked away!
    the innocence of youth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I sit in silence as the rain lashes down and the traffic inches ever onward. There is a man sitting in the back of my car, a man less fortunate than I, a very gentle man, a man who looks a bit different to you and I, a man whose appearance has just been noticed by the occupants of another car, a car that just won't pass by quickly enough, a car I cannot distance myself from. They point, they laugh, they shout, the usual inane musings of the dull and ignorant. My passenger and I remain tight-lipped as the lights change colour and we roll away, out of earshot, out of sight but certainly not out of mind. What must my passenger be thinking? What can I say? What the hell is there to say? Say nothing. If I pretend it didn't happen that might make it easier. How can I explain to this kind and gentle soul that I feel his pain? I do not know his pain. Is it an open wound, raw, inflamed, agonising to touch? Maybe not. Perhaps it has been tempered by too many years of finger-pointing, jeering, laughter. Why are people cruel? What is the point of laughing in the face of someone who can't fight back, someone who won't fight back. How can being downtrodden and dishevelled give rise to laughter in others? I feel sick as I comment on the traffic, on the absence of sunshine, doing my best to distance us both from this cruelty. But I presume that my passenger is lacking in sunshine. Perhaps inside he is basking in it. Maybe he laughs at or has pity for these fools who would be amused by his curious appearance. Maybe, maybe... I sincerely hope so!

This actually happened today. I hope you won't mind me intruding but I had nowhere else to turn, nowhere else to describe this cruel incident. I'll try and find a happier tale for when I return. Thanks, Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

that was amazing, thank you much for sharing.. this was the perfect place for your observation and it was so beautifully worded.
    feel free to shae again anytime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

Nocturnal observations about the city in which I live, which is over a thousand years old:

The city stays a stranger
    in the bitter winds eye cast upon shadow less shapes that issue from obscure corners dividing the ancient labyrinths at dusk
    Solemn stone walls suspended in both directions swallow up the steep hills
    Unsteady steps dissolve in retrospect towards insensible ground
    Torn and ragged streets confront the silence of the cries of a thousand incoherencies speaking at the cold border that feeds grooved tentacles
    The city stays a stranger
    That beckons, walk with me
    I can lead the way to terrified solitude
    I can decapitate the present from the past
    I am the wayfarer with his dark deference and troubled movement staggering in the twilight
    I am the car that roars by with the breath of uncontrollable horses
    I am the two girls filled with mad joy, snatching puffs of cigarettes and brushing back their hair
    I am the festival at night, the little man, and the pointed prison
    I am the rush of the crowd, the smoke, and the blazing light
    I have come for you again
    Awake from your disturbed dreams and troubled pillow
    Walk these un-straight lines as we mingle with tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

One morning I was heading out to work. While having my breakfast I put jam on my toast. Then I wondered what to do with the jammy knife that was in my hand. I could just put it down, but then I'd leave a jammy knife stuck to the counter for someone else to clean. What should I do with this jammy knife? This anxious moment seemed so insignificant, yet so universally significant. What do thousands of working people do with all their jammy knives each morning, getting ready for a long journey to spend all day in a dull meaningless job? An image appears in my mind of all those jammy knives, in all those kitchens, and all the days they represent. Irreplaceable, unchallenging but paid days, becoming years, becoming a lifetime. Multiplied by thousands, multiplied by millions of people around the world. Is this what life has become? Is this all there is?

very interesting post Oracle ;)

in thinking is this all there is I have come to the conclusion that I am happy with what I have and where I am in life more today than ever before.

I finally found the love of my life, he was right infront of me for quite awhile.. a friendship that evolved into something more than I could have ever wished for.. all my dreams and hopes for a love to last a lifetime finally materialized.
    I had almost given up all hope of believing in true love and of ever finding it and then *wham* it hit me in the face! Ive been blissfully happy ever since and I dont see myself ever not being happyagain...

I want to pass on the hope of finding that true love, in my 30th year I found what Id been searching for and never found before...
    like I always say " the best things come to those who wait"
    have patience and know that what you want will come your way and in the meantime have fun and enjoy life... everything always works out in the end

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Not just toaday, but the past few weeks, I have learned at how ignorant I have been. For years I have a shawl thrown over myself, an invisible barrier, a pretence that I didn't need something in particular in life.
    I said that i was stronger without it, and weaker with it.
    But then I decided I would trust, and I allowed myself to have the thing I did not need. And now I have seen that it was the presumption of being stronger without this thing, that was my weakness, and that I am a better man because of it.

But i only learned how important it was, after I almost lost it; someone else.

I learned how much of what we think to be necessary is superfluous; I learned how few things are essential, and how essential those things really are. - Chindits, Burma, 1943

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

I have too many a time, made an effort to write a story, of pages, flowing with wonder, entwinding together in the end, after careful planning and negotiation. What I failed to understand, a beautiful event does not always have to be seen to move, to pass with time, but can be existant in a single moment.
    Like the beauty of a sunset can not be shown only by the movement of the sun under the horizon, but it's beauty can be told in equal measure by one frozen image.

I entered the room, it was bright, as the morning. Music filled the gaps where the sun didn't shine, a soft chorus and tranquil. I poured a cup of tea, and sat on the high stool. Out the window was another world. A scene that did not fit beside a city, yet here we were. Dublin bay, a concave curve in the eastern coast. The far church steeples, and city scape to the right, created a comparitive beauty, to the hill of Howth head, dark green headland to the north. In their midst was the deep blue, dotted with boats, buouys and yachts.

I sat perched, with music notes running through my ears, and nature's composition past my eyes. Even the steam rising from my cup, seemed to dance as it passed the suns rays through the window. Even that had a part to play in the extreme beauty of it, even I had a part, by being there to see and to tell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Interseting, i found that the girl ,who served me at my local spar ,was so close to a supermodel, in looks, that all five in the que,(all male by the way);were drooling perfusely from wide open mouths and not in the anticapation of their breakfeast roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mofa

I’m at a crossroads at the moment, as I have to make a decision on two Job opportunities to work abroad. One is close to home in Italy and the other is in America. The closer to home job would make me happy but it has little opportunity and money would be tight. The second job would offer me opportunity and I would have enough money to live on and extra but unsure about going back to America again. My dilemma in making my decision is: a daughter in college which she will be finishing this year and a cat. She, my daughter is independent but I worry that she will struggle with accommodation expenses, everyday living expenses, going out as I feel young people now days face worse situations than when I was growing up. I worry that she will get sick and that im not there to take care of her. She has been offered some work briefly through the university and will take a year out to save money her final degree in England (which I can help her with as I will be making better money in America rather than here in Ireland or Italy). She will properly be very busy and won’t be able to take care of the cat while I go away for the year. (That bothers me as I love my cat also and it’s impossible to take the cat with me to America). Who will take care of the cat? I want to do this for many reasons, one being money and the other to achieve my goals but I seemed to be having a major problem of deciding and guilt. I am a single parent and always have done the best for my daughter. What do you think I should do as I feel life passing me by and I want to do a few things towards my goals? HELP!!! I have a few 6 Months before I leave.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Natash

I noticed how silly certain people can be, and how embarrassed they can get for hardly any reason. He is a shy guy who thinks very poorly of himself when he shouldn't, he's a great guy and a great laugh. He got embarrassed for wearing an orange shirt that didn't fit him and told me I was the reason he got embarrassed for wearing it. This happened over 5 years ago and he still won't say why he got so embarrassed. Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JesusWlksDisWay

2 days ago i did the worlds second highest bungee jump, from a bridge linking Zambia to Zimbabwe, the backdrop was the magnificent Victoria Falls. Unbelievably terrified, but trying to remain calm, I jumped. It was the most surreal experience of my life.

But my main observation is this; Its amazing how fear is quite often the result of irrational thought. There was literally a 1 in a million chance I would be injured or killed. There is a greater possibility of being killed on our countries roads than from a bungee chord snapping. Nonetheless, fear was very much apparent. Probably the most satisfying result of the experience was the knowledge that I gave fear a kick in the nuts, jumped off a bridge, 111 metres high, into a gorge.

Quite often we feel afraid when there is no real danger, and we let fear cloud our judgement, ruin our relationships, effect our careers. The best thing about fear, is that it can be conquered.

Interesting JesusWlks, I still think you're brave though. Although I think that fear isn't always a bad thing, but it's certainly something that can be irrational and needs to be challenged and overcome at times. Congratulations on your bungee jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UpYeBoyo

I was looking at my good looking friend and his equally good looking girlfriend. I just got to thinking that were they only together because they were both attractive? Like if everyone in the world was blind, or everyone looked completely identical, who would be going out with who? I find it an interesting thought, I wonder who I would be going out with if it was based completely on personality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The evening gloom was gaining ground on the dry white cloud cover as I stared out my window. I could see the fog roll across the grass in the park across the street, spreading like a rumour. As I watched the dirty grey take hold, and beat the cloudy gloom into retreat for the evening, I felt the first pangs. I began to realise what was coming.

It would be a few hours yet before I would look forward to it.

I started lifting weights, trying to work this out, repeating my mantra. I was really trying, but it was all a cloud, a misinterpretation.

Staring at the mirror, a compulsion hit me, and I swung hard,crunching my fist into my jaw. I felt a little inspired, and dropped my weight to the floor. I didnt know if it was another demon or a manifestation in my stomach. Smoke clouded my eyes as the hopelessness began to set in.

Dont do it tonight.

I swung again.
    There was no hope of stopping.

I grinned.

Nice piece dr.bollocko, you started well; your descriptive first paragraph is perfect. This sounds like the beginning of a gripping story... I'd like to read the rest. Why don't you continue it on a separate thread? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eoghan_dubhdara

i went down to the civic offices on sunday. around 1pm i had cycled down, i sat on the left on the grass hill. oppisite was a wave of leaves adoring the building. i watched as it the wind shook it. it was like ahaking a rug.

the skateboarders never showed up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harpman

BEAT wrote: »
    very interesting post Oracle ;)

in thinking is this all there is I have come to the conclusion that I am happy with what I have and where I am in life more today than ever before.

I finally found the love of my life, he was right infront of me for quite awhile.. a friendship that evolved into something more than I could have ever wished for.. all my dreams and hopes for a love to last a lifetime finally materialized.
    I had almost given up all hope of believing in true love and of ever finding it and then *wham* it hit me in the face! Ive been blissfully happy ever since and I dont see myself ever not being happyagain...

I want to pass on the hope of finding that true love, in my 30th year I found what Id been searching for and never found before...
    like I always say " the best things come to those who wait"
    have patience and know that what you want will come your way and in the meantime have fun and enjoy life... everything always works out in the end

;)
    Thats a lovely story Beat.I enjoyed reading it and good for you.

Myself, and my long term partner Mrs Alcohol, had an acrimonious divorce last year ,a relationship, which despite my better judgement lasted for years.
    It was one of those stormy love affairs invovling obsession,denial,
    heartbreak and a loss of rational thought.
    Goodness the time and money I spent on that she devil.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

the doggle was insistant on a long walk
    me without my belt in baggy jeans
    I tried to keep them up by expanding my belly

it's a relation skill problem

I'm trying to lead a writers` forum
    and I am contradicting other posters willing to give a critique.
    In some sense,
    I don't feel a poet should be told to write from their heart.
    Hearing such would have a poet believe what was written is poor because the work lacks emotion.

Reminds me when I took a poetry class and wrote about smoking
    only to have the class declare the writer wasn't a smoker.

True
    it's clear he refers to the statement that follows
    his statement before in the vertical order
    where his post is above
    another's statement below

he suggests that the poster that will write in that box
    procures that post position
    which suggests a writer owns the post he/she wrote

This is a dangerous precedent. [T/F]

I'm hand washing my work clothes in a bucket
    My pants and shirt had soaked while the hot water cooled
    I tumbled plunged the cloth push down with my hands
    the turning cloth suspended in warm soupy water was pleasent to feel

the autumn winds have blown in,
    it wont be long now...vibrant colors abound in every tree
    its funny, when the trees' wakes up in the spring they do so with soft hues of beautiful life,
    and before they go to rest they burst forth in thier most vibrant hue almost as if to say,
    This Isnt the end! I shall return .. and you hear drums in the distance as they march off violenty in the autumn winds.
    even the sky itself has changed....
    you notice these things,
    if ever you look up.

• Advertisement

Rain pit-pattering against my window,
    Lying in bed, pants still wet from my daily walk.
    Bought a pair of speakers, so I may hear the TV shows better.
    Girlfriend wants to go shopping shortly,
    I disagree but she always wins.
    I need to buy shorter pants.

the leaks collect in the gutters
    and the wet chill makes my overcoat cooler
    and the tar is gray under overcast light
    and I never looked up

I always destroy the cuff of my pants under my heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

How are youtube videos creative writing? You could at least accompany them with an observation of some kind...

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    How are youtube videos creative writing? You could at least accompany them with an observation of some kind...

I AGREE.

not the place for videos unless, what he said up there...

we'll take that comment as the thought of the day

thanks for coming by

I guess am obliged to respond

first off
    I'm more concerned with the lyrical contents
    they're not my thoughts
    actually, I did cognate them but I didn't create them
    but I thought while thinking about them
    that others might appreciate them

the cutting boards must be stored vertically
    so they do not hold moisture
    they are heavy and large
    and threaten to topple and push other dishes off the rack
    we need some wire holds
    like a vinyl record stand

Flies in a Can

IT's exciting!
    IT's engaging !
    IT's will make your dog dance.
    Yes, you guessed it
    IT's FLIES in a CAN!

just pop the ^top and the fun begins
    Watch . . . as your dog hops and spins
    mouth agape with a panting grin
    hours of fun contained within
    Flies in a Can

Are you tired and harried from working all day?
    and come home to see that your dog wants to play
    nothing draws dog into aerobic fray
    like chasing Flies from a Can

Disclaimer: Flies in a Can last 6 to 8 hours

once there was a forum called violet raven
    and everyone posted there before I came
    but slowly it became studilly quiet and still
    and I kept company with the ring of my voice
    for 8 months

well
    here I play the 3 AM game that I almost always win

we walked the teacup pomeranian to the library to return some books.
    she tires in the heat and likes to be carried.
    When he starts barking wiggling at motor cycles,
    you know she's ready to walk again.

Monday morning rifles through my pockets once more.
    The currency taken while I sleep uneasy on a lumpy mattress next to an angel.
    The commute a faded regrettable tattoo of depression.
    Rain lingers, spitting drunkenly and howling abuse at a closed off licence.
    “Walk on; impervious” but I can’t.
    This software has crashed.

what program were you using?

Matt Holck wrote: »
    what program were you using?

I wish I knew anymore.

I went to work in low spirits
    co-worker friends asked me how my week end was
    and I just didn't answer

I manage the day with out any major outburst
    it went long by a couple of hours

• Advertisement

I bought some shoes with square toes
    wore them at work sopping wet
    until a seam began to wear a scar above my right big toe

so I switched backed to the galoshes
    a co-worker bought me
    the water gets in the top and I'm walking in puddles
    until the rubber sides left rashes on my calves

bought a new pair of pillow tennis shoes
    call Off the Wall Vans
    who knows how long the will endure
    in the water

friend of mine says "shop lifting forces store to charge higher prices"

I respond No
    "the stores charge whatever the market will bare"

BrownEagleDeadSquirril2.jpg

I took this picture at the lake behind my house

I think someone must have put the dead squirrel out there to get the eagle to land

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

A cat has arrived to grace our garden.
    So far, she sits only on the old rusted fencing which is
    piled high at the end of the field where
    the cattle slowly play follow the leader.
    The russet stack seats her like a throne,
    and she, like a Queen, sits haughty, and ignores for the most part
    our Psssh pssssh calls.

Her black head boasts a crocked blaze,
    and from where we can get close enough to see
    one eyebrow raises in a sardonic slant.
    We would love her to come and say hello, Miaow, or
    just purrrr her way into our waiting affections,
    but it seems she has just
    come to observe,
    the fat juicy mice who scurry through the dense grass.

just observe the mice?
    has she been declawed?

I guess I'm depressed
    sleeping whenever I can

everyone talks in riddles
    that I'm suposed to figure out
    I wish I could havea straight conversation

I'm very disappointed in the way vampirefreaks has treated me recently
    mostly to show me that they don't care
    I feel I spent two years meeting no one
    They always threated me well before

still depressed
    everyone is yelling at me
    I'm managing small bits of frivolity and am grateful to those that supply
    I haven't had the heart to write

Freedom comes in lightning bolts, elusive in the thunderous tedium.
    A drunken roar or tipsy kiss.
    A stoned hobble to the depths of strange.
    A newly punched hole in a wall, a bloodied hand.

An all too faint mask of diseased sobriety is all too often cast away.
    So where is the freedom that survives until morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bukman

everyone should spend at least 1 hour alone with their thoughts everyday.

• Advertisement

what a person do with the own thoughts is nobody's businesses

Advertisement