Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today's Observation:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 An Sionnach Rua

You can't see a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

You can't see a window.

you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ZuStar

i was standing at the bus stop, trying not to think of the cold. at least the temperature was above zero today. i became aware of a sensation in the air, and my face perked up to meet it. i furrowed my brow for a moment in confused recognition. a sweet smell, playful. it smelled like new kitten.

if you've smelled one, you understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 smick

i was pure off my face on pills and it was like 10am me n my mate darz stayed up all night goin mad to tunes and he had his decks round and we were goin mental and then he was like rite im goin to sleep and passed out on my sofa but i couldnt sleep so i came on here n thought id express myself cuz im a writer as well i write my own blog and all my mates love it cuz i do shout outs to them and talk about my fav tunes and celtic and stuff like that there and it got me thinkin about why do you always think loads when ur pure off your face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

on another site, I deleted a friend for talking too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

One thing I noticed recently was the silence which accompanies snow. Really wonderful. Or am I just being fanciful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Writer4Teens

I set the water sprinkler in the front yard, then wandered away to make plans for my spring plantings. When I turned back a few moments later, the afternoon sun filtered through the stream and my lawn glittered with millions of water droplets clinging to blades of dry grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fartmonger

Train carriages: A roomful of people, trying to sit by themselves.

hell ya
    I have my own thoughts
    I need my own rest

• Advertisement

I always flinch when I hear the word "intuition" used

intuitions covers a realm of unawknowledge practical associative processes
    like learning to difference between right and left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 popawheely

BEAT wrote: »
    It's hard to get on here everyday and post something meaningful ;)
    for more than one reason.

I saw a woman yesterday, about 80 years old I'd say. She was walking home from the grocery store carrying a bag in each hand. She wore no pants, women from that era generally wear dresses. She was bundled up but walking in the street as the sidewalks were covered in snow and ice. It was freezing outside. I drove by and before I could think enough to stop and offer a ride I passed her up and beat the steering wheel in regret up the street. I made myself sick for not stopping to ask if she wanted a lift. I figuered she lived in the senior citizen apartment building that was 2 blocks from ther store. After stopping in to a store I went back that way looking for her to stop incase she was still walking. She wasn't, she was already home and judging by the time I drove she I must have been right about where she lived but it still ate away at me for not stopping.

These people go out in this weather everyday as part of thier routine and and hurts me more to see them than it hurts them to do it. It keeps them alive, but I'd rather they had a warmer or safer way to go about thier routine. Next time I will stop...I have before but it was in the swealtering heat and the old lady really appreciated it.
    So often our older generation are neglected or just lonley, if only more people would take an interest. I love them so much and wish I could reach out to each and everyone. I have so much I want to do but there isnt enough of me to go around, if only there was a way.

They need to know they are not forgotten, that they have lessons that still need to be taught to the young. Thier stories must be heard. We need to let them know that there is someone there for them, if only for the conversation.

Love is the answer.

how would you feel if this 80 year old women pissed herself in your car,would you still be feeling as great as you try'd to clean the piss stains from your passenger seat....get a grip man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You are aware you've quoted a post from over 5 years ago, yes?

everybody dies

A man hears what he wants to hear
    so tell him something he wants to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbm9dup_IQY

wash, rinse, repeat

NO WAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

popawheely wrote: »
    how would you feel if this 80 year old women pissed herself in your car,would you still be feeling as great as you try'd to clean the piss stains from your passenger seat....get a grip man!

That's fairly calous man.

However, I have a suggestion for the OP. Why not get a job in a nursing home? Sounds like it'd suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Riveam wrote: »
    That's fairly calous man.

However, I have a suggestion for the OP. Why not get a job in a nursing home? Sounds like it'd suit you.

I can not set foot in a nursing home without crying. I am a full-on Empath and the sadness that encompasses a place such as a nursing home takes me over. Any part of me that wants to help them not feel lonely and hopeless is quickley overridden by my emotions.
    I could not bare it if I were to befriend and come to love (as I do) the elderly and watch them die alone and abandoned with heartache for the family that has forgotten them.

I will never send my family off to a "home" where people are neglected and the walls that trap them give them no love or peace of mind. I would and will do everything in my power to have my mum or gran looked after in my home if ever there is a need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

This is pretty good ammo for stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like the rock that lines sections of the new stretch of the N8. Huge tracts of rock, marbled sandstone, streaks of lime like crooked sticks of chalk, pockets of pebble-fed grass.

I get distracted in my stagnation and my resolve dissolves. That is how I fade out and zone back in to quick-bitten nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bluejeans_01

hey beat!
    i am new to boards so i've only seen a few threads but this one is definitly up there with the best. its really inspiring to read all of yer observations and thoughts, so natural, honest and open-minded. i respect that.

my observation that i would like to share is simple. its about this brilliant thread actually. its amazing something as simple as making observations about daily life can get us all so interested. i found this site appealing from the first posts and just kept reading all the little but meaningful stories. it goes to show how something so small can inspire us. why are we all so attracted to this page? i personally think (and yer free to contradict me) that its because this simple yet wonderful process of just pausing to observe and to reflect is missing from real life. how often do you see someone just stop and just...be? i think media has a huge part to play in this. people nowadays just don't think not because the modern human is stupid but because they just don't have to. everything is done for us. like ads tell us which lipstick or new footy boots are the best and they infiltrate our minds, we don't even have to leave our house to find out whats happening world-wide, instead of going out and discovering ourselves! i guess what im trying to say is that its really refreshing to have a bunch of people with a common interest who don't personnally know each other to make staright-forward, uncomplicated and effortless comments.

so thank you beat for a wonderful and inspiring thread!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

I too am only new, just joined this site today. I have not read all the threads on this subject but what I have read is that Beat seems to be a very kind person and that is so rare these days. I haven't figured if Beat is a man or woman yet. Wouldn't it be great if we all started to be kind to people in need, just kind to one another would do. There are so many smart Alecs around. The simple things are the best "Be Kind" and generate pleasant thoughts. I have stopped reading the newspapers and only look at the headlines in the News as there is such badness going on in the world. I often wonder why good things rarely appear in the newspapers. Why do we feast on bad news when the good things that happen are so much more rewarding and make us feel so much better. Thank you Beat for starting this thread and I for one will read it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi Lorna, welcome to the Boards, by clicking the link in Beats signature (under her post) you can find out more about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I try not to think too much these days.
    I'm not scared of thinking.
    Just scared of where my thoughts might lead me to.

An observation made over the past few days:
    People only want to hear good news.
    Maybe it says people aren't willing to give up yet!

Thank you for all of the kind comments, I am sorry I havnt been in for a week or so...have so much going on at the moment...
    never too much going on to stop and smell the roses though ay ;)

It does warm my heart to know that something I started these many years ago continues to inspire, something that I hope my art and books do for future generations to come.

Something that has been on my mind of late,
    a memory of depression in days gone by for something so vain as self image. For so many years growing up I wasted time in the dark, alone because of my low self esteem and horrible self image. I thought I was ugly and fat etc...
    I look back at those photos from years ago and wish I could have seen what everyone else really saw, so much time lost on such misguided beliefs.
    Youth is wasted on the young ;) If only we would have listened to our parents *sigh*
    Thankfully I grew up and now know what it is to love myself and to let someone else love me in return...how long I ran from relationships and my feelings afraid of the unknown, afraid of so many things.

Fear is in us all in some form, we must all face it sometime and we WILL all conquer it...having patience is the hardest thing but being confident that your day will come will get you through the darkest of times.

I often reminisce of times gone by but these particular years were brought to mind because I see someone young now going through such unnecessary trials and tribulations when if they would only listen it would be so easy, which made me think that must have been what my own parents thought when I was that age, its a never ending cycle...they always have to learn the hard way...but eventually they will learn.

Peace Love and happiness to you all.

It came to me in the form of an epiphany.
    The inevitable fight between human struggle for power and freedom. First there is freedom which brings responsibility which brings power which competes with freedom and the cycle continues. Its savage, its primitive, its animal like. Humanity is caught in this eternal cycle and the only way it can break out is by becoming more human.
    I call this the gift of being human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 dolmen

an epiphany !
    a gift ,
    or a necessity!
    in the wee small hours ,
    ssssssshhh all very quiet ,
    but on the inside, the search,
    tic-toc-tic-toc

Warm summer days locked inside
    artificial humming lights are my sun
    cursing every customer that draws near
    they could be Jesus; I still hate them.

Guess we have to earn money some how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Like_it

To BEAT,

It was so refreshing to read your words, you seem like a very caring person, in a world where it is cool to be indifferent and often cruel.

I was waiting for a bus in Dublin and I saw a tiny little old lady struggling with her bag, the wheel had broken so she was trying to lift it. So many people looked at her and just kept going. She kept making eye contact with people and smiling, I think as an incentive to get some help.

I went over to her and carried her bag a block to her bus, she was so grateful and happy. She turned around and said "its so nice to see the young caring." what really struck me was all the people that I passed were staring at me, head were turning...............it seems that everyone could not believe that someone was helping her.

I do not care if it sounds trite or corny, we should be nicer to each other.

One day many years ago, I was fired from my part time job, I had no bus money home and knew I had to walk home in the rain, I had enough for a bag of crisps so I decided to treat myself, instead of the crisps I went for a snowball (marshmallow in the red and clear plastic bag) but the shop guy said I didn't have enough money.........I was just so upset, nothing was going my way. Then a nice lady behind me said that she would pay, I was so touched by her kindness that tears welled up in my eyes as I said thanks.

So there are so many nice people out there, lets just start showing it more.

Like_it wrote: »
    To BEAT,

It was so refreshing to read your words, you seem like a very caring person, in a world where it is cool to be indifferent and often cruel.

I was waiting for a bus in Dublin and I saw a tiny little old lady struggling with her bag, the wheel had broken so she was trying to lift it. So many people looked at her and just kept going. She kept making eye contact with people and smiling, I think as an incentive to get some help.

I went over to her and carried her bag a block to her bus, she was so grateful and happy. She turned around and said "its so nice to see the young caring." what really struck me was all the people that I passed were staring at me, head were turning...............it seems that everyone could not believe that someone was helping her.

I do not care if it sounds trite or corny, we should be nicer to each other.

One day many years ago, I was fired from my part time job, I had no bus money home and knew I had to walk home in the rain, I had enough for a bag of crisps so I decided to treat myself, instead of the crisps I went for a snowball (marshmallow in the red and clear plastic bag) but the shop guy said I didn't have enough money.........I was just so upset, nothing was going my way. Then a nice lady behind me said that she would pay, I was so touched by her kindness that tears welled up in my eyes as I said thanks.

So there are so many nice people out there, lets just start showing it more.

Thank you, you see my point exactly and I thank you for helping that woman...caring more about others and showing it is something we should strive to do, the people of the world today care so little for others and are so self involved that sometimes people who need a little help are forgotten or ignored.

Its easy to question,
    what's hard is acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hyperone

Its easy to question,
    what's hard is acceptance.

I agree, because when we do question things we may not like the answer and we have to accept it, or change it.

• Advertisement

Loving for the sole sake of loving is the only form of true love.
    Giving for the sole sake of giving constitutes true giving.
    Asking or wanting back in return is neither love nor giving but rather a trade.

To find true love one must let go of the need and desire to find such love.
    A rather funny paradox of life.
    Only time where desire pays a negative aspect.

hyperone wrote: »
    I agree, because when we do question things we may not like the answer and we have to accept it, or change it.

Cheers. I could elaborate it a good bit more but that'ld spoil it. Words are most powerful when you've added your own interpretation to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

The poorly-lit sidewalk forces careful steps on cracked and broken paving. This night-time walk from home to pub is free from care and worry. Then suddenly a shadow lurking ahead of me breaks my stride as I brace myself for what threat I do not know. Then I see shoes, legs, coat, stick. Then cardigan, glasses, and white hair. An old man stares at me as if I were a threat. He stands back to let me pass. Just in time, I remember to smile at him and nod. I hope he made it home safe and sound. As I drink my stout I wonder how meeting an older person on a dark sidewalk could scare us both.

The leaves have begun to lose their green,
    the summer wind now with a chill...
    Autumn has arrived, it never follows the calendar...it has its own time plan
    the morning brings with it frosted windows and afternoon thaw
    the nights are cool and beg you to sleep in comfort and bundled in blankets
    the flowers are starting to wilt, the fires are being lit
    Autumn has arrived, its natures time to shine

As I am out walking it is like I have big open eyes
    It feels like I am seeing things for the very first time
    I can see tiny flowers that before I would not have seen
    It feels like I have a new height of awareness
    And everything is opening up to me

I even heard the leaves whistle
    As there was a momentary breeze
    I saw a crow perched on top of a satellite dish
    That was anchored to a chimney

Doors of houses were left open wide
    And the smell of food was just oozing out
    I realised my belly was hungry
    As I was two hours just walking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭weiming

If one is wise, he can but speak and his words will be written into books and read for generations. If one is not wise, he can write a lifetime, and none will attend him.

weiming wrote: »
    If one is wise, he can but speak and his words will be written into books and read for generations. If one is not wise, he can write a lifetime, and none will attend him.

I love this :)

As I am walking down the street
    What is it that I see?
    Some burnt orange leaves
    That have fallen from the trees

Some posters for the Lisbon Treaty
    Mounted high on poles
    Some to vote for yes, and some to vote for no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭weiming

Chinese phonemes don't seem to have unbound consonants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Ladies toilets are much easier to find than the men's, especially when I really need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thomas.cena09

This is good and interesting, felt very nice after reading this. Keep it up buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fanuel

All those choices and actions that brought me here, in this status of uncertainty. I don't understand what went wrong with me.
    I made nothing of this last three years. Sitting on a daily mediocre monotony, as I have never been.
    I used to write and photograph as a natural being. I can't find interest in what were my passions and desperately digging in my past to find an escape path.
    I'm scared of falling into a blood sucking apathy that will annihilate everything I thought I was. Most of all, I'm scared that I'm dragging those people around me in this dark being of mine.
    Cold, I have hated myself, throwing words to those who were not ready to hear their truths and yet, there my inflaming and rational tongue goes.
    I've loved but can't no more, or better, I seem not to understand how. Rationally I know, known and believed that everything is made of love and passion, but this thought doesn't bring the warm and reinvigorating feeling of a December Sun. Hands stay cold.
    My restless mind lies to my heart.
    hours and hours slipping through and yet, there I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I was sitting in a café today enjoying a coffee and musing about how we could do with being more accepting and tolerant towards others. My thoughts were interrupted by two men who sat down at a table next to mine, talking very loudly about their plans for the weekend. I silently cursed them for all their unnecessary shouting before remembering what I had been previously thinking about. I smiled and sipped my coffee......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

robert kingdom has started to write a diary. he gets fired from his job, his best mate is drinking too much, his wife is losing patience and his ten year old son wants a purple candle. "here comes robert kingdom" - enjoyed reading it - espeically the bit about the lyrics game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

My sister put up an awful fight when my mother and father decided to take the Christmas tree down today. The season of good will is over, its remaining vestige being the tormented wail of my older sibling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭nialljf

I am able to do what I want. Today's observation

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Neighbours on both sides of me have frozen water pipes. I am putting our good luck down to the retained heat in the house from the stove burning for 16 hours out of the 24 since the freeze started three weeks ago. This morning before heading to work I went outside to bring in a basket full of chopped wood. I had to use a sledge hammer to chip logs away from the wood pile - it had frozen into a solid block. This made me think about my work with people who are stuck in a conflict. Often they seem so frozen in their opposition against each other and each others' positions, that it takes the emotional and intellectual equivalent of sledge hammer to loosen them, when warmth fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

boil a kettle. less effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Yesterdays history, tomorrows a mystery - todays the present and its all we have, treat it as a gift. Love Deeply, Laugh often, and if somethings bothering you, just let it go. The time we have is short and precious- don't clog it with negativity

I herd the wind say
    if you can travel fast enough
    I'll hold your weight
    teach you to fly
    soar into the sky...

• Advertisement
Advertisement