Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and 3.5ghz question

• 17-01-2004 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have the home breeze package, when IBB roll out 3.5ghz how will this affect me? will my connection become more stable, will i need new equipment or will there be different packages available?

rgds
    scary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You will need a new receiver and possibly a new aerial. I suspect that IBB only intend to provide a 3.5Ghz connection to their business customers while the home customers will still have 2.4Ghz kit.

What did they tell you when you asked them about their intentions ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I suspect that IBB only intend to provide a 3.5Ghz connection to their business customers while the home customers will still have 2.4Ghz kit

Oh god no! The business customers already have interference free kit (VL or something similar). The 3.5ghz is for us joe soaps. Its supposed to be a total replace on the 2.4 equip. This is what i gather from my conversations with IBB tech support recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

the VL is the alvarion 5.8Ghz equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Indications from Chaz suggest that the 3.5 gig equipment is going to be used with 'Ripwave' style equipment. Their current Navini Ripwave operates on 2.4 but a variant is also available in 3.5 form. Power output and the dedicated spectrum should give them significant coverage.

They may chose not to go with Navini, but I would imagine that they would still go for some other non-LOS (or semi-LOS) from another manufacturer.

What do IBB say when you call them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

What do they say IN WRITING when you email them......they have licences all over Ireland so I am interested.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Indications from Chaz suggest that the 3.5 gig equipment is going to be used with 'Ripwave' style equipment. Their current Navini Ripwave operates on 2.4 but a variant is also available in 3.5 form. Power output and the dedicated spectrum should give them significant coverage.

They may chose not to go with Navini, but I would imagine that they would still go for some other non-LOS (or semi-LOS) from another manufacturer.
    I heard that the LOS stuff is likely to be upgraded before the RipWave gear. (unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Cant say much, but here goes.

The 3.5Ghz tenders came in this week - will be around another 6-8 weeks before any Fixed Wireless 3.5Ghz is live. There is a test kit due next week for some testing.

The Ripwave (Navini) product will also be available in 3.5Ghz - but with a long lead time on Base Stations.

Originally posted by Chaz
    The Ripwave (Navini) product will also be available in 3.5Ghz - but with a long lead time on Base Stations.
    Are we talking 2 months long or 6 months long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I am assuming you are asking about the Navini.

I'm not sure - I do not have that level of info - but I dont think it will be within the next 2 months.

Originally posted by Chaz
    I am assuming you are asking about the Navini.

I'm not sure - I do not have that level of info - but I dont think it will be within the next 2 months.
    Bummer. You've already missed the Christmas market, and now you're going to miss oreillycoms next big push with "cheap" DSL in March (that will actually work out more expensive than RipWave or UTVIP are today).

• Advertisement
Advertisement