Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

print margins in Word

Options
  • 17-01-2004 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum.
    When i try to print my cv in Word it fails and givesthe error that the margins are outside the printable area of the page. When I go to page setup and click fix, it adjusts the left and right margins to be over 11cm each, which means there are more margins than there is paper. In fact if I open word and try to print a blank document i get the same error. I printed my cv at work without difficulty, and I don;t think I made any changes that should have effected that since then.
    Does anyone know what's wrong? Tried copying and pasting it into another doc which printed ok and that didn;t work either. Tried adjusting the page seup settingst to the same a s the other doc and it still didn;t work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Go to View and select Print layout. When your printing make sure its on portrait and not landscape.

This should do it,

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

It already was on portrait.
    I've redone the whole thing after creating a new template to work from. I copied and pasted the document in sect9ion byu section. The only part that still caused difficulty was the references which were done in two columns, so perhaps it's related to the use of columns.
    Odd. Got around it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Go to

tools\options\view\print and layout options\ turn "text boundaries" on

so you can see what you are doing and see whats happening.

Most people don't realise you can do this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK When you do a print preview in word it takes into account the default printer driver.

A laser printer in work can probably print to within 0.1" of the edge of a page while an inkjet at home might only get to within 3/4" of the bottom of a page due to the way the rollers grip the paper.

Double check the page/printer is still A4 (die letter die) - you should also get the option to "fix" the margins

BTW: just because it looks OK in print preview don't mean it will print out OK esp. if you have HP drivers..

Advertisement