Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which WiFi PDA?

• 17-01-2004 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a WiFi PDa and I'm having touble deciding on which one. The ones I've been looking at are:
    • Palm Tungsten C
    • HP iPAQ h5550 Pocket PC
    • Toshiba e750 Pocket PC
    • ANO
    Philosophically (as well as technically) I would prefer PalmOS but the Tungsten C seems to be very poor for media playing and the screen is smaller than the others.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of these? The reviews I've read on the web give many pros and cons but none seem to be a real star product.

I think what I'd really like is the Palm Tungsten T3 with WiFi. Is this a possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi capistrano

Sony is going to launch a few new Clie PDA's soon

See here.

The TH 55 should suit you down to the groung.

/me is thinking of getting one.

Eóin

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭capistrano

Hmmm! It seems to fit the bill allright. I wonder how much it will cost.

This link suggests it might be £349 in the US. That seems very cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

when i have the spare cash for it, i'll be goig for the palm t3, it's the mutts nuts. especially with all the features it has.

that and a siemens S55 mobile and i can just about ditch my laptop completely. :D

Yes, I have to agree the T3 looks very good. It's just the lack of WiFi that stops me buying it. Otherwise I'd have it already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

If you want a good large, multimedia and Wifi the Sony Clié models are a good option.

I have an "old" NX70V with the CF Wifi card and I am happy with it , mostly used for MP3, small videos, email (through Wifi) and a little of web browsing (the screen is large but still this is small for most websites!)

Raphael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by capistrano
    I want to buy a WiFi PDa and I'm having touble deciding on which one.

one of the nicest PDAs with WiFi integrated I've had a go on so far was the iPAQ 4150 - a very powerful device crammed into a very nice form factor

The Tungsten C - been out for a while now and personally didn't like the form factor - not a big fan of thumb boards anyhow - if i really need to do occasional text entry i'd prefer to go for one that can clip on - and if i really needed to type a lot then a proper 'full size' portable PDA keyboard would be a much better idea

HP iPAQ h5550 - it's not small and really targeted at the enterprise - although you have all the legacy expansion packs available for it - and a good lump of RAM onboard - make sure to take a look at the 4150 though incase that might fit the bill better

Toshiba e750 - not a big Toshiba PDA fan - and the fact that it's WiFi or Bluetooth rather than both integrated may be a factor in your decision - still not a whole lot of WiFi hotspost about - and it's nice to be able to BT to a phone for a data connection when needs be...

I think what I'd really like is the Palm Tungsten T3 with WiFi. Is this a possibility?

the T3 is a nice PDA, and taken over as my current PalmOS device, the landscape/portrait capability of the screen is super

a WiFi SD card should have been able to WiFi enable the device, however it has hit problems since SanDisk press released they would support PalmOS devices (Symbol decided to stay quiet until they could officially support it) - first SanDisk dropped plans to support OS4 devices altogether and have since delayed support for OS5 devices several times - appears to be a problem of powering the card and driver issues

but good news, there was a recent announcedment from SyChip (who actually produce the hardware) that a new lower power SD WiFi card (WLAN6065SD SDIO) is on the way so this should hopefully sort out the problems for PalmOS 5.2+ devices

[The TH 55] seems to fit the bill allright. I wonder how much it will cost.

This link suggests it might be £349 in the US. That seems very cheap!

might be best to wait for the new Clie's to be officially announced when prices and ship dates should be confirmed... it may be even be a while before they hit our shores... if their price is 'cheap' in the US it's likely they won't be as cheap over here :(

BrianG

Originally posted by raphaelS
    If you want a good large, multimedia and Wifi the Sony Clié models are a good option.

I have an "old" NX70V with the CF Wifi card and I am happy with it , mostly used for MP3, small videos, email (through Wifi) and a little of web browsing (the screen is large but still this is small for most websites!)

Raphael

Attached a photo of your post!! :D
    The screen looks better in real...

Raphael

Originally posted by raphaelS
    Attached a photo of your post!!

Pretty cool! The boards site fits nicely.

Thanks everybody for all the adivce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I really like the Sony Clie PEG UX-50 but don't know anyone who enjoys paying EUR 840 for it in Dublin. You can get the little guy in NYC for no more than $400, which would make a short break to the Big Apple worthwhile. I use my Clie over Wi-Fi from the coolest places. Its on-board WLAN scanner seems to be as good as Net Stumbler without the external antennas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Using these machines extensively at work for some prototyping some stuff, i would say dont touch the toshiba's i have a collection of dead e740' and e750's they are crap, and reset to factory state by themselves all the time. The HP's fare better, you get what you pay for in this market it seems, the 5550 is pretty much the business.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by topgold
    I really like the Sony Clie PEG UX-50 but don't know anyone who enjoys paying EUR 840 for it in Dublin. You can get the little guy in NYC for no more than $400, which would make a short break to the Big Apple worthwhile. I use my Clie over Wi-Fi from the coolest places. Its on-board WLAN scanner seems to be as good as Net Stumbler without the external antennas.

I checked your site and you said that there's free Wifi access in Insomina (Grafton Street, Dublin)??

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

30 days free in insomnia, go to www.dell.ie and use the voucher link there to get 30 free days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi

raphaelS I also have a NX70V and i'm think of getting the CF Wifi card second hand.
    Are they any good? Do you have the WL100 or the WL110

And info on them would be good.

I'm just looking for some new toy and My NX70V is very good.
    I had a look at the UX50 last week in the sony shop in Ballsbridge and thought the screen to be very small when put next to my NX.
    I would have to see the new TH-55 before i would buy it.

So now i think i'll just get the wifi card for my NX

Thanks
    Eóin

Hi Eóin,

I have the WL100. I got it with my NX. I am very happy with... never had any trouble with it. It is always in the Clié.

I tried it also in my laptop with a CF adaptor and reception is good (or as good) as the other PCMCIA cards I have (Dlink, SMC,...).

I am using it for email at work with a Netgear router, at home with a Sitecom router. Because my base remain at work, all my hotsync at home are done by Wifi and this is faster than with USB!!

If you can get one... and have the $$, then go head!

The TH55 seems to be good except the issue with bluetoth in US... but that just a rumour at the moment!

Raphael

Something nice to try with Wifi/Palm is VNC... I can use my PC from the Clie and it works very well.

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

Raphael

One con... using the WL100 eats the battery, the way I'm using my Clié I can last roughly 3 days with a fully charged battery, if you're using the wl100 you'll get around 4 hours, maybe less!

Raphael

Advertisement