Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Vs. Liverpool

• 17-01-2004 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

The Liverpool team for today's game is:

Jones
    Henchoz
    Biscan
    Hyypia
    Traore
    Murphy
    Hamann
    Cheyrou
    Kewell
    Owen
    Heskey

Subs:

Dudek
    Le Tallec
    Riise
    Finnan
    Carragher

Carra and Finnan on the bench. Welcome back lads. Sorry to see Murphy on the right, would ave preferred to see a Ostemober--Hamman--Cheryou--Kewell midfield.

Prediction: 1-2 away win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay here goes.....

Spurs 2 3 Liverpool*

Mike.

*almost certainly a reckless guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well Keane has scored a peno

Spurs two up. Sheeez....:(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by mike65
    Spurs two up. Sheeez....:(

Mike.

You well on the way to 3 - 2 then, please god!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

2-1, Kewell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Right I'm really disillusioned now. I only heard the commentary on the radio and by all accounts it sounded as though our midfield was very bad and so Owen got no feed at all. I don't understand how GH left it almost 70 min before making a change and when he did he brought on an out of form full back followed by a not fully fit full back. Where does he get off making these decisions. Traore was playing well. The least he could have done was bring Risse into the midfield. And what about Le Tallac, did he do something to GH is a past life to get stranded on the bench all the time.

I have always backed Houllier and will until he leaves but this game was lost at half time and he did nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

and back we go again *sighs* :(

Jones

Otsemobor
    Henchoz--Hyypia
    Carragher

Finnan----Gerrard/Smicer---Hamman----Kewell

Heskey---Owen

For the next game. Please.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

id have...

Jones

Finnan
    Henchoz--Hyypia
    Riise

Murphy/*----Gerrard---Hamman----Kewell
    Smicer

Heskey---Owen

*Murphy/Smicer played brillant on the right during the treble year.. why can GH play them there? instead he'll break up the Gerrard+Hamman partnership :rolleyes: and drop Hamman (when every liverpool supporter know thats the best partnership in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

I agree except meybe put Gerrard on right,finnan RB and play smicer/le tallec in middle

• Advertisement

Gerrard on right,finnan RB and play smicer/le tallec in middle

Finnan at RB is okay of course (though he is an attack minded player hence me putting him RW ahead of Murphy who has lost the plot) but Hamman has to play in the centre with Gerrard if the latter is fit.

Its a pity Bruno Cheyrou is'nt African.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great win for Spurs, looks like my doom and gloom predictions were misplaced thank god. A lot of that is due to the return of Simon Davies I believe.

Liverpool sounded awful judging by the match commentary, if Postiga was anyway confident it could have been a lot more than 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by therecklessone
    , if Postiga was anyway confident it could have been a lot more than 2-1.

Or if Owen/Kewell/Heskey/Keane and whoever else you care to mention took there chances, it would be a different result.. I am soo insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Watched the game in its entirety wish I hadnt! Spurs played mediocre and Liverpool were below awful for most of the match. It was a harshish penalty with not much contact being made but the tackle was clumsy and the right decision one can say was made. Biscan has been doing this for the llast 3 games and getting away with it. The second goal was terrible from a defending point of view. Once again Biscan managed to be 100 miles away from his man and completly on the wrong side of him. Kewell got a great goal but that is about all he did all game. In the last 15 minutes with a scenario of **** or bust Le Tallec should have been introduced with Murphy going off to give us some more attacking options., something that was noticeably missed.

Mr Rennie proved what a great asset he is to the premiership by seemingly finding nothing wrong with Doherty's handball in the final seconds. One could say it was Ball to Hand but how many times does one see there given usually every week. Didnt deserve anything from the game but a point would have been useful :) Gerrard was a big loss as their was no attacking coming from the middle of the pitch. Oh and when Henchoz and Hyppia reunited at Centre Back I find it amazing how all of a sudden balls were being dealt with! Amazing if you play your two best centrebacks injuries willing together what can happen!

Personally I would go with this line-up Vs. Wolves:

____________Jones______________

Finnan__Carragher__Hyypia__Traore

___________Hamman____________
    Le Tallac_____Gerrard_______Kewell

_____Owen__Pongolle/Heskey_____

Subs:
    Dudek
    Ostemober
    Risse
    Welsh
    Heskey

Le Tallac needs to play, he is much better than Murphy. If he cuts inside a bit and let Finnan attack on the flank then damage could be done. But if Murphy plays we will lack creativity again in midfield.

YNWA forever

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

I shouldn't think Mr Houllier is looking forward to Wednesday night.
    Wolves haven't lost at home since September and will surely see 'Pool as an easier proposition than today's vanquished opponents.

I don't think the second goal eas Biscan's fault entirely. Granted he should have been better positioned than he was but had Hyypia been alert enough he would have and should have got back in time to make an interception. He (Hyypia) was completely out of it for that goal. That aside he was practically our best player. I would like to see what H&H could do if they get paired bak up but it will be a very static defence if it is. I see Babbel is playing as centre half at Blackburn; hows he doing in that role? He would be a nice player to bring back from loan and stick in there. I would also give Carra a shout for the role. He has played there in the past.

As for the penalties, both of them should have been given. Biscan clearly swung his right leg in when he missed the tackle. As for Doccers hand ball, this whole "Ball to hand" is complete sh1te. If a player's hand touches the ball and his body is not behind his hand, then it is an infringment no matter what way you look at it. I feel if that b0ll0x of a ref was quicker on his feet and got into better positions he would have given it. All in all it was the ref's fault.

Another jem from David Pleat, courtesy of football365
    "Our central defenders, Doherty and Anthony Gardner, were fantastic and I told them that when they go to bed tonight they should think of each other.

I imagine away trips for Spurs are interesting...and I thought it was just Sol Campbell.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yeah why do the FA persist in giving that muppet Rennie Premiership games,he cost us this week but every season he's consistent in his inconsistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

As much as I hate to say it - Liverpool were sh*t on Saturday. Spurs deserved the win. We should have had a penalty but we also should have a had even a tiny bit of imagination going forward :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i believe we have now won 5 of our last 6 home matches against liverpool.

which is nice.
    when are you boys going to realise that you should get rid of your manager?
    i mean, there is sticking by someone and having faith, but the liverpool board are having a fúcking bubble bath, know what i mean?

i think its time you dropped these delusions and realised that liverpool are now just as medicore as the rest of the teams below the top 3 (possibly with the exception of newcastle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

I watched the game from start to finish and was to be quite honest Embarassed.

They were mid table and had sych a poor games it untrue.

This current team is simply not good enough. I include the coaching staff in that. They have to shoulder some of the blame also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As a Spurs fan I'll agree that it should have been a penalty to Liverpool in the last few minutes. Regardless of whether it was ball to hand, Owen would have been clean through. Would have been harsh considering how good a game Doherty had, but fair is fair. I think Rennie was behind Doherty and couldn't see it anyway.

Was well pleased with the result, not for the fact that it was Liverpool but because that's the teams 4th win in a row, which hasn't happened since October 2001. Hopefully any relegation threat will continue to disappear as the rest of the season progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i believe we have now won 5 of our last 6 home matches against liverpool.

which is nice.
    when are you boys going to realise that you should get rid of your manager?
    i mean, there is sticking by someone and having faith, but the liverpool board are having a fúcking bubble bath, know what i mean?

i think its time you dropped these delusions and realised that liverpool are now just as medicore as the rest of the teams below the top 3 (possibly with the exception of newcastle).
    I am not a Liverpool fan but I would lay most of the blame on Houllier. If he put out his best team week in week out it would be far superior to any team outside the top 4/5. They will be getting Cisse to partner Owen in the summer, and they maybe need a right winger and a centre half and judging players individually they would be up there with United. If they got a new manager in they would probably get the team spirit back and give the fans something to shout about.

So, judging the players individually I'd go with this:
    Kirkland - Howard (Kirkland is Englands future No.1, Howard has just about proved himself at the top already)

Finnan - G.Neville (Not much in it)

Carragher - O'Shea (Again not much in it but I would tend to go for Carragher)

Hyypia - Ferdinand (IMO Hyypia is more consistant but on their day their inseperable)

Henchoz - Silvestre (I'd go with Silvestre)

MR - MR (who the hell plays in those positions most of the time? :confused:, Anyway Liverpool should buy a MR soon)

Kewell - Giggs (If I had to choose between the two at the start of the season Giggs would have got it but he isn't playing at his best ATM)

Gerrard - Keane (I'd prefer Keane ATM but he hasn't got long to go so Gerrard will probably be on top next season)

Hamann - Neville/Kleberson/D Djemba/etc. (Hamann)

Owen - RVN (RVN)

Cisse - Saha (too difficult to predict)

All in all, I don't see much in the two teams if Liverpool played their best team and got rid of GH. Pool are also starting to get a lot of strenght in dept, ie. Murphy and Risse (if they ever get back to their best), Pongolle, Le Tallec, Biscan, Smicer, Cheyrou, Ostembar (SP?), Diouf, Heskey, Baros, Dudek. There is still more but I can't think of any and they definitely need another centre half in the squad.

I might even start supporting Liverpool if GH goes. ;):D

but thats just it.
    all people ever say is, 'on our day', and 'when we have a fit squad'

all there are is excuses.
    Liverpool are rubbish. they are in the middle of table where they belong. on any day, any one of 10 teams can beat anyone else in the middle of that table.
    they cannot play consitantly, and regardless of if you think they match up against utd, its a simple fact that utd play with more consistancy.
    GH takes the african player of the year (not once but twice folks!) and puts him in.....

a right midfield/winger role.

where did diouf win 2 african player of the year awards for?
    for being a striker.

well done GH, you spend millions on players, and you turn them into crap.

he has to go if you want to be consistant, if you want to win games. the last time liverpool looked good playing football was when mcallister was in the middle of the park. since then you have been dreadful.
    GH record isnt good. for a team that is supposedly massive, he has been decidedly average. and he lost about 18 games out of 25 over the last half lf last season and the first half of this season.

you have some good players, like the rest of the teams in the premiership, but dont delude yourself that liverpool have a good team. they dont. 6 wins on the trot mean nothing. youre still mid table. you'll still be mid table come season end if you dont replace your manager.
    although, personally, im happy to take 4 points of you this season :)
    its still a shame to watch a great team being píssed downthe drain because the board have no balls about them.

but thats just my view on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

welcome back eamo.

WWM, if that was a reply to my comments, I am not a Liverpool fan. When I was replying to your comments I misread it and thought you were backing GH (don't ask me how:confused: ). I didn't say they would match up against United, I said if you judge players individually, they aren't far behind if behind at all. Of course United have probably the best team spirit in the league but you would probably agree if they got rid of Houllier and played their best team every week they would get their fans behind them and regain the old team spirit. Players like Murphy and even Hamann don't seem to be putting as much work in and I would probably think they are fed up with Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    but thats just it.
    all people ever say is, 'on our day', and 'when we have a fit squad'

all there are is excuses.
    Liverpool are rubbish. they are in the middle of table where they belong. on any day, any one of 10 teams can beat anyone else in the middle of that table.
    they cannot play consitantly, and regardless of if you think they match up against utd, its a simple fact that utd play with more consistancy.
    GH takes the african player of the year (not once but twice folks!) and puts him in.....

a right midfield/winger role.

where did diouf win 2 african player of the year awards for?
    for being a striker.

well done GH, you spend millions on players, and you turn them into crap.

he has to go if you want to be consistant, if you want to win games. the last time liverpool looked good playing football was when mcallister was in the middle of the park. since then you have been dreadful.
    GH record isnt good. for a team that is supposedly massive, he has been decidedly average. and he lost about 18 games out of 25 over the last half lf last season and the first half of this season.

you have some good players, like the rest of the teams in the premiership, but dont delude yourself that liverpool have a good team. they dont. 6 wins on the trot mean nothing. youre still mid table. you'll still be mid table come season end if you dont replace your manager.
    although, personally, im happy to take 4 points of you this season :)
    its still a shame to watch a great team being píssed downthe drain because the board have no balls about them.

but thats just my view on it :)

excellent post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I think one can take a look at the Liverpool squad and see how many players have developed to their true potential under the current management...

Not many is it... :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

smicer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Unfortunate about the referees input, or lack of same, into the game though, blatant penalty when Gary Doherty handled in the box. When the luck is with you the ref sees that and when it is not, he doesn't.

Well Anthony Le Tallac and Jon Otsemober are starting for the reserves tonight so it is likely they won't be involved on wed night for the 1st team.

So that will probably mean that the only changes we see to the side that played against Spurs will be Finnan at right back and Gerrard replacing Cheryou in midfield with Murphy on the right :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've been holding back from criticising Houllier for a long time, publically at least ;), but at this stage he's got to go. really, they were brutal on sat, and deserved nothing from the game, too many times they've played brutally, created nothing, and been defensively naive.

Inexcusable, they've degenerated under his management. they are going backwards.
    So he's got to go.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Unfortunate about the referees input, or lack of same, into the game though, blatant penalty when Gary Doherty handled in the box. When the luck is with you the ref sees that and when it is not, he doesn't.

it happens.

week in week out.

it will continue to happen.

refs are only human, and will make mistakes.

of course, when it happens in the favour of your team, people smile and say, 'ah, it all equaled out in the end didnt it', but if you are on the wrong side of a game changing decision, then people will only see that.

teams make their onw luck. how many times have utd been 'lucky'?
    scored in the last minute (gosh, i can think of a perticular final a few years ago...)

so i think while people may want to get crap decisions off their chest, the fact is, ive seen so many of those decisions over the years, as have you all, that ive learned to say, next week, it will be in our favour. and you know, it usually is.

eireboy, my remarks were not directed at you as such, i was just expanding on what you had said and addig a my little bit of wisdom ;)

paulie, i was never gone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

thought i would add my 2c. i was at the game (oh yeah seeing my beloved spurs win for a change was brilliant)

Thought it was a stange line up from liverpool with 4 central defenders as the back four against a spurs team who upfront had no height but yet are quick and sometimes!! skillful. I think if dalmat played the way he has been playin for the last few games it could have been a lot worse for liverpool.

It only got better for liverpool when GH had realised his mistake and bought on his 2 wide players and for the last 20 mins liverpool looked more threatening.

No double about the handball, it was right in front of me, it was a defo peno. while the ginger pele! may not have meant it, he stopped a one on one for owen. but spurs were deserved of their win. (an unbiased view)!!

Come on europe!!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sikes
    I think if dalmat played the way he has been playin for the last few games it could have been a lot worse for liverpool.
    I've seen Dalmat playing a few times and I have been really impressed. Did he actually sign for Spurs or is he just on loan?

On loan, but if we know whats good for us we'd be doing our best to ensure he stays at the Lane. The man has the ability and the style to become a Spurs legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Whitewashman you really don't have a clue do you? How is scoring two goals in the last minute lucky? They were both fair and what difference does it make if they were in the 90th minute, the 1st minute or the 37th minute just once they go in,

Originally posted by James R
    blah blah blah

i think you missed my point.

that being that they werent lucky, it was down to team play, and keeping at it.

like i said, teams make their own luck. if you have confidence, you will keep going until the bitter end, like utd did.

would you like me to actually spell it out? i mean, im sure everyone else understood what i meant.

Advertisement