Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[request] Blank DVD's

• 17-01-2004 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any good sources of cheap blank DVD's? + or -, doesn't matter to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maplins in (Jervis Street? Off Parnell Street, in Dublin) do cakes for around 60 or 70 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Luther

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

SVP is definitely the cheapest. Only drawback is you have to buy a lot to recover the fixed shipping charge of £20 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Postage from SVP is something like £4 + VAT.
    A bit excessive, but not £20!

Besides, it still works out a lot cheaper than anywhere else..
    Avoid buying any Discs in Irish retail shops. They're either extremely expensive, or sub-standard quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

The svp site looks a bit amateurish, anyone buy stuff from these before? I was thinking about getting 25 of the DATAWRITE dvd-r's

dwyellow4x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

some of the lads in the office turned me on to that store.
    we buy a few cakes and split the shipping cost

I got 50 DVD-R last week and it worked out at about 40 euro.
    no shop in Dublin (that I know of ) can beat that... or even come close.

I found their compatibility chart useful and was able to check by email whether I would have any problems with the hardware and DVD-R combination I was going to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Lidi had DVD-Rs for sale recently. I though they were 50 for 20 but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Postage from SVP is something like £4 + VAT.
    A bit excessive, but not £20!

My last delivery from them was two weeks ago and a flat rate of £20 applied. Just checking now and they seem to do the delivery via "Royal Mail International" to get it to Ireland with a flat rate of £12 :)

Where do you get the £4 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by unkel
    My last delivery from them was two weeks ago and a flat rate of £20 applied. Just checking now and they seem to do the delivery via "Royal Mail International" to get it to Ireland with a flat rate of £12 :)

Where do you get the £4 :confused:
    My rate was 7stg .. for one tub of dvd-r's

if you buy cases aswell then shipping is mad expensive - if you buy just dvd's then shipping is cheap??

the best place to buy dvd+cases I found was
    www.discount-computing-ni.co.uk Shipping is 10euro flat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I just picked up a spindle of 25 DVD+Rs for 29.95 in Peats... price on the packet says 39.95 (as does the website), but scanned in at the lower price anyway.. get them while they're hot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

39.95 is the price of the +Rs, the -Rs in Peats are 29.95.

If you bought the QP brand then you've bought a bunch of duds that might or might not work.

I was in Peats recently and saw they've restocked the yellow datawrites which are by far better than the QP discs.

The datawrites are 29.95 for 25 which is a good deal, even by internet standards.

Komplett have 50 discs for 25 quid, but of questionable quality.

Discount computers in NI also do a good deal, after shipping it costs 30 euros for 25 discs and you've wider choice than Peats. I've generally found them good to deal with too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by chabsey
    39.95 is the price of the +Rs, the -Rs in Peats are 29.95

whats the difference between + and - ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Take a look at this.

SVP = http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

and whole the following site is prettier the text describing the products is the same?

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/

For a site in € try this one...

http://www.cdrsite.com/

And click on the UK flag for an english version (if you want to that is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

unkel: My last delivery from them was two weeks ago and a flat rate of £20 applied.

As per Hussey's post, I paid £7 for my cake (which works out at about €10).
    Still a damn sight cheaper than your £20 ( €29).

Are you sure your not getting your currency symbols mixed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Anyone try http://www.pricestorm.com/index_home.asp

their prices include P&P to Ireland ... prices are in Sterling but still work out v. good ...

they've got a bundle of 25 for £15 ... that's about €22 ....

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/ don't deliver to ireland

www.bigpockets.co.uk delivery said 15.50stg for 1xcake of dvd-r!!

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/erol.html says delivery (of 1xcake ) is 22.57euro

That pricestorm website does look like the cheapest so far??
    Agree / disagree
    just a word on cases - alot of sites will be expensive if you get cases and the delivery is based on weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by chabsey
    39.95 is the price of the +Rs, the -Rs in Peats are 29.95.

If you bought the QP brand then you've bought a bunch of duds that might or might not work.

I was in Peats recently and saw they've restocked the yellow datawrites which are by far better than the QP discs.

The datawrites are 29.95 for 25 which is a good deal, even by internet standards.

Komplett have 50 discs for 25 quid, but of questionable quality.

Discount computers in NI also do a good deal, after shipping it costs 30 euros for 25 discs and you've wider choice than Peats. I've generally found them good to deal with too.
    A note on the QP discs, they do seem to diagree with some burners entirely. For me they do work, I've only had 1 coaster out of two packs, however they only burn at 2x. The yellow ones are great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by wiped
    Anyone try http://www.pricestorm.com/index_home.asp

their prices include P&P to Ireland ... prices are in Sterling but still work out v. good ...

they've got a bundle of 25 for £15 ... that's about €22 ....

I've bought from Pricestorm before and they've been great, no problems at all. Not bought blank DVDs from them though as I've just had my first batch in from blankdiscshop (I bought them along with the drive and a 100 CDrs and that kept the shipping down).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

do sds or gls couriers deliver for blankdiscshop here. probably is gls as parcel force are their main courier. how many days did stuff take to get here and was stuff ok as ordered nec 2500a today with 75 discs and i hope they are not broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by mayto
    do sds or gls couriers deliver for blankdiscshop here. probably is gls as parcel force are their main courier. how many days did stuff take to get here and was stuff ok as ordered nec 2500a today with 75 discs and i hope they are not broken.

It wasn't SDS for certain but I've thrown the box away so I can't confirm the courier. I ordered the pioneer 106, 75 blank dvds and 100 blank cdrs on Thursday evening, they were sent Monday morning and I got them yesterday afternoon. Not a problem with anything, everything was well packaged and bubble wrapped.

here

good idea if people put up their experience??

Advertisement