Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google toolbar

• 17-01-2004 7:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was going to get the toolbar, and as an added thingey it has a pop-up blocker,
    however, i want to know what it wil block. hopefully it would stop all those crapy ads, but would it block pop-ups that are not ads and that are part of the site (such as the one on theisaacbutt.com where you can request a song)?

what else will it block?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it blocks every type of pop up and then it notifies you and u can decide wheter or not to allow that site to show pop-ups.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The ad blocker is class! No more popups anymore - it's wonderful! Certain sites use popups for navigation tools, etc. but the blocker is so great it allows you to unblock it only for that site. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by ixoy
    The ad blocker is class! No more popups anymore - it's wonderful! Certain sites use popups for navigation tools, etc. but the blocker is so great it allows you to unblock it only for that site. Highly recommended.

Ditto.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just got it there, and it is brilliant alright....

cheers for the tips!

Flogen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its dead handy for pop-up blocking alright, I have to use IE at work (arrrggghhh) and the Google Toolbar is the only thing making it anybit usage compared to Mozilla or Firebird.
    :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye firebird is class at pop-up blocking.

but the next installment of IE will have pop-up blocking aswell.

but firebird beats IE hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Latest Nightlies of Firebird plus the adblock extension and you block ALL ads including flash AND it can collapse web pages so as to get rid of the gaps were the ads should be. Firebird: The Way The Net Was Meant To Be:D. A couple of RegExp block 95% of ads for me.
    [Adblock]
    */ads/*
    *resellerratings*
    */theregister.co.uk/pz/*
    */theregister.co.uk/media/*
    *spinbox*
    *.doubleclick.*
    *tribalfusion*
    *googlesyndication*
    *servedby.advertising*
    *rad.msn*
    *bluestreak*