Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Security

• 17-01-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

could you all please give your opinions on what security mode to use.

At the moment i'm using WPA pre-shared key but wondering if i should change to WEP.

Which is more secure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

As far as I understand (from about 5 minutes of reading, just now) WPA still changes the encryption key periodically (and automagically) when using a preshared key. This is one of the ways it beats WEP, and if you have it running fine you shouldn't switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Thanks rob.

anyone else have an opinion on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

For my small network at home (4 laptops, 1 PDA) I am using WEP 128 and fixed IPs given by the router from the MAC address.
    Plus no ping allow to the router and the remote administration is Off...

I don't know if this is really waredriving proof... though but at least this is not free to air!

Raphael

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Use WPA. There is a flaw in the pre shared keystuff but not as serious as the WEP flaws. No to mention there arn't any WPA cracking tools out there just research papers. Also use MAC restrictions on the access point. There are loads of programs for breaking WEP around.

yea MAC restrictions are on, ssid broadcast is off. it should be pretty secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm going to have set up mine properly, once i'm able to configure the router again! It's a linksys wireless acces point with four point switch. You access the config utility by entering in the ip address, which doesn't seem to be working for me right now. Bugger. Ah well, looks like i'll have to reinstall the s/w. Might change to a dual boot while i'm at it. :D

Originally posted by MarkR
    I'm going to have set up mine properly, once i'm able to configure the router again! It's a linksys wireless acces point with four point switch. You access the config utility by entering in the ip address, which doesn't seem to be working for me right now. Bugger. Ah well, looks like i'll have to reinstall the s/w. Might change to a dual boot while i'm at it. :D

sounds like the same one as mine.

is it a WRT54G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

wep is rubbish
    wpa slightly better but needs a good passphrase
    http://www.techworld.com/

if you have a bit of spare time id recommend setting up ipsec

Advertisement