Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the new Toyota Prius Hybrid all its cracked up to be ?

Options
  • 17-01-2004 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Considering changing my car and am interested in the new Prius. Why? better mileage I hope and I'm wary of what the Gov. will do on carbon tax (probably just use it as an excuse to lash more tax onto petrol).

Took it for a test drive today - for the best part of 30 mins - and was generally impressed. The touch screen information panel is cool.

But the trip fuel consumption was approx. 45 mpg - well below the advertised 60+ mpg. And most of the driving was in the open countryside on relatively clear roads with one stint on a motorway.

It seems when you drive on the open road at a reasonable speed it's almost exclusively the petrol engine. The hybrid only comes into its own in urban travel - stop/start motoring. And you have the option of using the electrical motor on its own only at low (urban) speeds <45kph. Despite what the brochure says I'm concerned that fuel economy benefits are available mainly to urban drivers and not to extra-urban drivers (extra-urban driving would amount to 80% of the time I spend behind the wheel).

Any opinions? Anyone out there who has a new Prius? If so, what has been your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Anything I've read of them suggests that unless you live in london (congestion charges) you'd be better off in a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

It's ugly, boring and the MPG aspect is over-rated. End of story as far as I'd be concerned.

In 10 years it'll be considered to have been the birth of a new era, but until then I'd pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

It's ugly, boring and the MPG aspect is over-rated. End of story as far as I'd be concerned.

I think the new Prius looks very nice and its also got very respectable 0 to 62.5mph of 10.9 seconds. That doesn't seem boring to me. I have a test drive in one booked and wouldn't mind getting one myself if the fuel economy was as good as advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

The Laguna that i have (1.9 Diesel) gives me about 45 MPG mixed driving, 55MPG rural and 38 MPG urban, not bad. I was thinking of one of these myself but I would wonder about service costs and (god forbid) replacement part costs. As it is a hybird you couldnt bring it anywhere for a service except a toyota dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

I asked about the servicing aspect. The hybrid system is covered by an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty - whereas the rest of the car is 3 year/60,000 mile. My guess is that most first time owners would have sold on/traded in the car before the hybrid warranty expires. I was told there was no special service for the Prius as the hybrid system 'does not need servicing'.

I was worried by the ELV (end-of-life-vehicle) aspect - would Toyota take responsibility for the disposing of the hybrid parts once the car is scrapped ? I assume they'd have to given the EU legislation.

Note to Sesshomaru:
    Before you do your test drive reset the trip fuel consumption so you can get an accurate reading of the consumption for your test drive. If possible report back on how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement