Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iowa Caucus

Options
  • 17-01-2004 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I would like to know from this group who do you think would win the Iowa Caucus. It does not matter whether you know about the candidate extensively or are a US citizen. I just want your honest opinion. The Iowa Caucus is on Monday night, October 19th.

Who would you vote for in the Iowa Caucus 17 votes

Gen Wesley Clarke
    0% 0 votes
    Gov Howard Dean
    29% 5 votes
    Rep Dick Gephardt
    41% 7 votes
    Sen Joseph Lieberman
    0% 0 votes
    Rep Dennis Kucinich
    5% 1 vote
    Rev Al Sharpton
    11% 2 votes
    Sen John Edwards
    5% 1 vote
    Sen John Kerry
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

I listed the candidates in random order and have left out Sen Graham and former Ambassador Braun because both have dropped out of the race. Also, here is a web site that gives you access to all political candidates, including third party candidates on the US Presidential election. It gives direct links to all candidates and has a wealth of additional information about the unique campaign environment of electing a president.

http://www.politics1.com/p2004.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where is the none of the above / Other button ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Unfortunately, Clark entered the race too late and decided not to compete in Iowa. His first real primary will be New Hampshire. Last I checked, polling is in a statistical 4-way dead heat between Kerry, Gephart, Dean, and Edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I voted for the person I would like to win as the title of the poll says, but your post says 'who do you think will win', so which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Dean should get it...Clarks a bit gray and wont beat Bush. Confrontational politics will beat Bush this time ..not the old Democratic wasington crap.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

I am glad you pointed this out Captn. You have now entered the apethetic voter category in American politics. If you choose none of the above which basically means not choosing at all, you are essentially voting for the other unnamed candidate. You have to choose one candidate or none at all Captn.

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    Unfortunately, Clark entered the race too late and decided not to compete in Iowa. His first real primary will be New Hampshire. Last I checked, polling is in a statistical 4-way dead heat between Kerry, Gephart, Dean, and Edwards.

You are correct with Clark, but I decided to put all the candidates in order to be most fair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Geromino
    I am glad you pointed this out Captn. You have now entered the apethetic voter category in American politics. If you choose none of the above which basically means not choosing at all, you are essentially voting for the other unnamed candidate. You have to choose one candidate or none at all Captn.
    Actually by voting but not choosing a name on the list I would be registering my interest in the process but not in the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A caucus is like a cactus but with the pricks on the inside yeah?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I voted for Al Sharpton.

Would america tolerate a president if his/her skin was non-white and an easy sounding name to go with it(remember dukasis(sp?)) ? :)

• Advertisement

http://www.politics1.com/dems04.htm#vermin (Democrat)
    Someone to believe in ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I think Kerry will win the Iowa Caucus, but Dean will probably win the Democratic candidacy. The last time a candidate won the Iowa caucus and won the Presidency was Jimmy Carter. I don't even think Reagan won the Iowa caucus in 1980 but won the Republican nominee.

I will disagree that Clark will the be the VP. Dean and Clark do not work well with each other and Clark is more of a liability to the Democrats than any other potential VP. Gephardt or Kerry will probably be the VP or it may be a darkhorse that no one has really thought of.

I want Cheney to go. Personally, I thought a Bush/McCain ticket would have won hands down in 2000, but the two do not get along with each other in personality. Ms Rice as VP would give the Democratic party headaches and eliminate any racist/sexist drudge campaign.

Finally, I think you will see a non-white President but it will be a Hispanic, not Black. The Hispanic community now has more voter intergrity than the Black vote. This is not being racist, but you either have a Louis Farrakahn or Al Sharpton who preach the "ppor on me, its the white man's fault" while you have Ms Rice, Powell, or Sowell being given the name of Uncle Tom (a racist remark). The Hispanic community want real progress but typically do not label their own as traitors if voting for the opposite party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Just don't vote!

:)

Looks like only Geronimo and I got this one right. I have to say I was surprised at how well Kerry did, but moreso at how poorly Dean did. But what was worse was his speech in defeat. I think he pretty much did himself in by giving what commentors on msnbc described as, "the worst political speech since Dan Quayle accepted the vice presidency in 1988." I have to say, he looked decidedly unpresidential. In any case, I think either Kerry or Clark, and possibly Edwards, would make a very formidable opponent for shrubya.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    Looks like only Geronimo and I got this one right.

I can see Geromino's prediction about Kerry taking this one, but your only post said it was a statistical tie between the top 4. How did you get it right?

jc

2 votes for Kerry to the original question of who do you think will win the Iowa Caucus. One, I assume, was Geronimo's, the other one was mine. If only I was as good at picking football games... ;)

PS-as a mod you can't see how the votes went?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I can see how they went...same as anyone else. I can't see who voted....same as anyone else.

jc

Advertisement