Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom net dropped connections

Options
  • 17-01-2004 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

My modem dial-up connections to Eircom Net used to be rock solid. But in the last 2 months the number of disconnects ("remote side not responding") has increased steadily. Now I get one almost once a day (twice so far today). No hardware/phone line changes at home. Anyone experienced anything similar? Is it a sign of increased dial-up customer numbers?
    FWIW I'm in the 056 are (Sth. Kildare).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I live in Athy and I am also getting problems with eircom these days. my dial up connection speed is just terrible, I a few times now it connected at 2.1, best I ever get is 32. Most of the time I have to connect, disconnect and then connect again until I can get a speed which will open a web page.

I also can't even get broadband, it fails the line from the eircom test. Eircom are just shoddy wasters anyway. There's a bloody exchange in Athy and I still can't get broadband. Terrible.

I find though, that if i use oceanfree, i still get terrible connections, but they don't cut out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

I'm in Athy also - maybe it's just a problem in this locality.

I believe Athy is OK for broadband - my line checked out OK but I still haven't taken the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you considered using UTVip or thier light user service?

www.utvip.com/index.asp?loc=ie

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eircomic

My connection to Eircom is really bad too . Some days i have to try to connect 4 and 5 times before it works

and i'm connected to the castlerea its just awful and eircom are no help they tell me to ring the help line at 74c a min

Bring on some other phone company please

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I an getting this message a lot over the last two days when using Eircomnet Anytime 1893 150150 dialling tru Mullingar

From Modem Log:

CD dropped- Remote Modem Hungup
    Modem Status=00000030

The number is then engaged and it takes several redial attempts to connect,

Anyone know if UTV do an "unrestricted" dialup (similar to oceanfree 1890 923204, or iol free 1890 942042) as I want to check out all the other companies for connection reliability and pick the best then cancel Eircomnet Anytime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

The issue is most likely with your line, modem cable, or modem.

Try adding +MS=V34 to your modem string (in win95/98 control panel/modems/properties/connection/advanced/estra settings - other versions of windows some slight variation of this).

Ring 1901 and get your line tested.

Reduce the length of your modem cable to under 5 foot with no splitters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

most of the time it's down to phoneline problems, not at the server end.

especially if you're out in the country where the lines are generally pretty poor.

the best strings to use in the extra settings of your modem properties, advanced tab (assuming you have a v92 modem of any sort) is:

AT&F&C1&D2+MS=v90,0 (Connection problems, but trying to retain v90 - TRY THIS FIRST) also bring the port speed down to 57600 in modem settings too.

AT&F&C1&D2&K3+MS=v34 (Force v34) if the other one doesn't work try V34, but bring the port speed down to 38400 too.

see how that goes.

btw. strings curtesy of www.modemhelp.net - lots of handy info there, bookmark it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by elvis2002
    I live in Athy and I am also getting problems with eircom these days. my dial up connection speed is just terrible, I a few times now it connected at 2.1, best I ever get is 32.

Ring Biddy on 1901 and ask her if you are on a "Carrier Line" ( = pairgain or splitter ) , Eircom love installing these on peoples lines.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dial into Oceanfree to see if it your line or Eircoms ISP network.

Just download the dialler form their site

http://home.oceanfree.net/index/help-index/help-dailler-download.htm

It will make itself "default" so you mst change back to your old "default" afterwards .

Thats in Internet Explorer. Tools Menu. Internet OPtions . Connections by the way, check the current settings first as a guide. If the speeds are crap its not Eircom.Net but the line itself or your cabling/modem .

M

Originally posted by vibe666
    most of the time it's down to phoneline problems, not at the server end.

especially if you're out in the country where the lines are generally pretty poor.

the best strings to use in the extra settings of your modem properties, advanced tab (assuming you have a v92 modem of any sort) is:

AT&F&C1&D2+MS=v90,0

I have been playing around with modem strings off this site for the last few weeks now and yes, vibe666, this seems to work best (I was not reducing the port speed though so now I am mayby this will be even better)

Eircom reccomended the MS+V34 string also

I had to explain myself about call waithing and witholding id to "the biddy" when I rang up to get my line checked!!!!!!

At least the tecc support staff seem to know what they are talkin about even though the minutes are ticking away on 1570..

All the phone poles in the area are earmarked to be replaced in the coming months, so I hope I can get one of the engineers to ensure the line is in pwo, in exchange for a few beer tokens!!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, next stop iQuon to have a row with them........see other thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    I have been playing around with modem strings off this site for the last few weeks now and yes, vibe666, this seems to work best

what exactly are modem strings and do they improve a connection?

They are extra initiallisation commands you add to your modem (control panel-phones and modems-modems-properties-advanced) that may help the preformance.

Not too well up on the tech side, but as far as I know, they limit higher speed connection attempts by the modem on low speed dial up lines (as opposed to ISDN), force or disable error control and compression on the line, and stabilise lower speed connections.

They seem to make my connection a bit more stable and eliminate some of the diallup issues I have been having

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Reduce the length of your modem cable to under 5 foot with no splitters etc.

Just had a brianwave-think this might work?

Current Setup

Line in to main phone in hall-extention to digibox-double socket (1 line to box,1 line to pc)

Alternative Setup

Line in to pc directly- line out from back of pc to digibox-on to phone in hall

This would leave me with just 12inches of cable from first wall socket to modem instead of the current 5feet and would mean no loss on line as the modem is first appliance on the line and disables everything else when in use. Also the first socket would only be 4ft away from where the line enters the house

I think this should improve things........??

i tried the strings thing and it tells me i am connected at 115.2 kb/s which obviously isnt the case and i still have the same ****ty speed. am i doomed?

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i tried the strings thing and it tells me i am connected at 115.2 kb/s which obviously isnt the case and i still have the same ****ty speed. am i doomed?

I got the same when I first tried them and I thought yahoo!!!!!!!! great, but you have to decrease the max port speed on the modem and the internet connection down to 57,600 also.

Spent the morning rewiring the phone lines in the house, now got just 6 inches of cable into the modem from socket and 5 feet of cable from socket to the main inlet from the line and guess what.........same problem, had to redial twice to get this message typed and sent..............it has to be this bloody aopen modem that is at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

just download iolfree
    exactly the same service but it won't get dropped like eircoNs

Originally posted by egan007
    just download iolfree
    exactly the same service but it won't get dropped like eircoNs

I am leaning very much towards IOL anytime at the moment but I have to wait until 7th of March to give Eircom notice to cancel my current anytime package, as I do not want to be billed for the hours I have already used at normal dialup rates, which can happen if you leave Eircom halfway through a "billing cycle" as they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Oh if you are going for a sign up package then go to utvip
    it's the best by miles anytime means anytime + you get more hours for a cheaper price

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    I got the same when I first tried them and I thought yahoo!!!!!!!! great, but you have to decrease the max port speed on the modem and the internet connection down to 57,600 also

i did and it stays up at 115.2

Phones & modems- Modems- Properties-Modem- Max Port Speed-57,600

and

Internet Connection-General- Modems- Config-Max speed-57,600

• Advertisement
Advertisement