Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link 504 firmware upgrade question

• 17-01-2004 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

I have several problems with my D-Link 504 router. I have been suggested a firmware upgrade may solve some of them:

1. Router hangs when I am trying video traffic thru Netmeeting (uPNP is enabled).
    2. Telnet access blocked

My router is ver B1. Current fw version is R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk

Dlink UK ftp site offers the file 504Rgii22100206b14uk.xdsl

Is anybody using this fw version? Is it stable? Any caveat?

Regards,
    Butch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Using it, perfectely fine, no probs, don't get the BETA 1.8 ver that has major probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Thanks for the tip. Another annoyance: By trying to upgrade the fw using the web interface (IE) I got a "Upload Fail" message. Any idea what may be the cause?
    Thanks,
    Butch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Butch,

you cannot upgrade your firmware to the latest firmware in one go. It will fail nomatter what you do. Its like trying to upgrade windows 95 to XP !! You need to upgrade the router to an intermediate firmware version first, then goto the latest

so for you, I think your next upgrade will be Version:

dsl-504upgr22100206b2t18uk

then once that upgrade is complete, you can go to the latest version:

dsl-504_fw_vi22100206b14uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Ando,

Thanks for the tip. I did exactly what you suggested, and once Dlink's tech support sent me the intermediate fw version, I was able to complete the fw upgrade quite easily.

For the record, I don't quite agree with your analogy. I used to support other routers (3 different vendors at least) where you could upgrade fw versions, co-related or not.

Besides, every router must have a way (usually BOOTP+TFTP) to upgrade an image from its own flashed image, in case of a unrecoverable, erased or corrupted fw.

Anyway, Thanks for your help.

Butch.
    Originally posted by ando
    Butch,

you cannot upgrade your firmware to the latest firmware in one go. It will fail nomatter what you do. Its like trying to upgrade windows 95 to XP !! You need to upgrade the router to an intermediate firmware version first, then goto the latest

so for you, I think your next upgrade will be Version:

dsl-504upgr22100206b2t18uk

then once that upgrade is complete, you can go to the latest version:

dsl-504_fw_vi22100206b14uk

Advertisement