Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to be gay?

Options
  • 17-01-2004 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

How do people feel on this issue?

Despite the fact that some of you are gay/bi in here i want to know if you believe it is wrong?

Do you feel a sense of self-loathing at all because you are gay?

This will be used as research for my Masters on

"Research into psyche of Gay,Lesbian and Bisexual people in Irish society"

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Eh I think you'll find the answer is a definitive no here!
    I mean I know there are such folk - and generally it's to do with religion. What about those Christian groups that "cure" you - obviously they feel bad/wrong about being gay.
    I guess the place you'll find it most is those gay men and women who haven't come to terms with themselves yet. Unfortunately they're unlikely to post here!
    I personally never believed it wrong because it never *felt* wrong. Mostly I think you'll find the same ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I spent years trying to convince myself I wasn't, not so much that I thought it was wrong but more so because I thought I "different" enough ;)

But once I accepted it I never looked back and never been happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This will be used as research for my Masters on....

..or as a very big troll...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

being gay isn't wrong, thats like saying, it's wrong to like counterstrike (which it is!!!!:P), right now is the best time to be gay methinks, society has almost fully accepted it.

/me tries to be gay........but fails....I'll try again tommorrow :>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

hmmm I'm gonna go with 'no' on this one too, I've no issues as a gay man, think my bf would agree :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

I'd go with no on this too, like azezil I never thought it was wrong but that it was different. There are people who think that anything different is wrong such as church, rural communities etc. but i suppose ironically they're the ones who are now "different" in todays society! I hope that makes sense:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well im gona go with yes. Thats just the way i feel on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

In what sense do you mean 'wrong'? I one stage I was very uncomfortable with it, in that I wasn't all that keen on being "different", but now it's for the most part okay, but I never thought that it was 'wrong', more 'does it have to be me?'

The fact that homosexuality per se is not congruent with my religious upbringing was neither here nor there, at least not consciously.

Would I be controversial if I suggested that the "gay-community" (whatever that means) was more dysfunctional than the wider community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    ..or as a very big troll...

I would say so ... i don't think any college or IT in the country would accept an internet bulletin board as a valid group when conducting "research" for a masters ... well maybe Sligo :rolleyes:

i'm not gay, but I don't see anything wrong with it ... if it is good enough for Jesus (12 guys alone in the desert! ... come on!!) it is good enough for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I belive that nobody chooses their sexuality we discover it in that at a certain age we suddenly notice that blond down the road we don't choose to - it sort of happens to us and we dont have control over whether the blonde is a guy or a gal thats suddenly very attractive

So on that basis I think sexulity is a neutral thing - so surely sexuality is not a moral thing in itself? Is being tall or having brown hair wrong? People sometimes dont like their height and stoop or buy big heels - is being tall or small wrong? I suppose if at a stage in your life when you hate your height it is ''wrong' at that point for you.

Acting on it is where choice begins. A lot of people for various reasons have difficutly with their sexuality. One poster above refers to being different and its not easy being different no matter how liberal society claims to be.

I was involved in a relationship for a fair while and in the early part of it the other person had really great difficulty with being gay and its hard to understand unless you have experienced it the stress it can cause to people. I am sure for people caught up in that stage being gay is 'wrong' One of the big stages of dealing with it is self acceptance - most people are far too caught up with their own problems to worry about whos gay or not I think so its really the individual who causes themselves the stress (but a lot of that is due to the culture in which we grow up and develop and its not to deny that there can be a very justified fear of rejection by family, friends or workmates on the part of the person concerned)

I am sure lots of so called straight people have fantasies or desires that they may think are 'wrong' and cannot tell their partners or so they imagine. Would that make being straight wrong?

I often wonder is there any such thing as a totally straight person without any hint of a fetish or some slightly unusual taste

Sexuality is a very complex matter and it sure gives plenty of problems in oh so many ways and of course lots of pleasure too!::D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not wrong at all.

The bull**** that falls off the arguments being thrown against gays is enough to fill a slurry pit. Read in the paper today about a woman who killed her lesbian lover in a lover's rage and there was a response by a Christian group - "just goes to show the dangers of female homosexuality" WTF? What if I was to say when a guy murders a wife - "just goes to show the dangers of heterosexual marriage in today's society"? God the **** they spew out. If that's the best they can come up with then it's clear which side is in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Not wrong at all.

The bull**** that falls off the arguments being thrown against gays is enough to fill a slurry pit. Read in the paper today about a woman who killed her lesbian lover in a lover's rage and there was a response by a Christian group - "just goes to show the dangers of female homosexuality" WTF? What if I was to say when a guy murders a wife - "just goes to show the dangers of heterosexual marriage in today's society"? God the **** they spew out. If that's the best they can come up with then it's clear which side is in the wrong.

I'm inclined to agree. Its not the whole gayness thats wrong its heterosexual community that are on the wrong side. Racism can be put in the same category too!

I'm confussed about my sexuality, have been for sometime. I feel that I'm bi, but not yet willing to deal with, to come to terms with, or whatever the case is. At present, I'm happy to live my life in confusion. To hell with society if they believe i'm somewhat different or whatever.

It is up to the individual to decide what is right or wrong in your life, be it, friendship, relationships, marriage, and of course sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm going to be very boring and agree with most people above,

It took me a very long time to come to terms with it but I do not in any way believe it's wrong

Heterosexuality isn't normal it's just common

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement