Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo 64

Options
  • 18-01-2004 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Give your memories/stories/comments etc. about this console here.

Started playing Super Mario 64 today and couldn't stop reminicing about my days with this machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

mmm certainly my favorite game was Zelda - always been my favorite with the Nintendos.

Dropped out of at least buying new consoles after both this and my later Dreamcast never seemed to take off so Ive decieded my money shall remain with my pc from now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ah, goldeneye, so much wasted study time. was 007 mode really worth it? or the novelty of having "all weapons".

i think we all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

One of my most memorable moment was the first time i walked across highrule field in OOT, that was just amazingly huge. The console for me brought a whole lot of hours of fun, my favourite game was probably mario 64, bobomb battlefield is still the best desinged level ever, the game as a whole is one of my favourites too.

I'll probably get killed for saying this, i thought perfect dark was better than golden eye, it overcame its crap storyline with just plain ol' fun gameplay and an excellent multiplayer.

I loved my n64, i still have my n64, i still the odd time take it out for a spin, it's the reason i love nintendo so much. It's a shame that people are idiots and fell for the playstation's advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Goldeneye:p loved it fantastic game, dont know how many hours I "wasted" (as my mom would say) on that game instead of revising for my Junior Cert.......worth it though so much fun. Especially multiplayer on a big 30" screen:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

They always have the N64 out in a mates house and invariably we end up playing Mario Kart 64. Fantastic game. :)

Remember huge battles (bout half hour long) in Super Smash Brothers too. Brilliant fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i in my day,

was the goldeneye king

OoT for me too :)

loved spacestation silicon valley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Loved super smash brothers and zelda ! Got it at christmas time along with Goldeneye and it blew me away , I had never played anything like it . sooooo much fun !

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    I'll probably get killed for saying this, i thought perfect dark was better than golden eye, it overcame its crap storyline with just plain ol' fun gameplay and an excellent multiplayer.

i'd say if you took both games seperatly, yes pd was a better game. but if, like most people, you played goldeneye to death before pd, goldeneye was still supreme in memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I bought both on the day of release, and went out of my way to get EVERYTHING in both games, but I just prefer pd because of the sheer amount of things to do in it. I thought the general design of the weapons and levels was better too. Mainly the amount of fun in multiplayer is what sticks out in my mind as making the game far better to me. But that doesn't mean goldeneye wasn't excellent fun.......just not as good.

Now onto a completely different topic, can anyone remember body harvest? One of the most under rated games of all time in my opinion, classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

First time I saw the 64 in action was when I went over to me brother in Switzerland in February 98, he'd got it for his birthday the previous August. I was absolutely blown away - he'd been trying to explain to me what Mario 64 was like but I was gobsmacked when I saw it in action. We had some serious craic playing Mario Kart 4 player as well. I'd get up each day I was there, walk out to the fridge grab a beer and we'd start playing MK for hours before going out! I came back from Switzerland and bought a 64 straight away with Mario 64 and later MK. I absolutely loved OOT, it was definately my favourite. Preferred Goldeneye to PD and I didn't like Body Harvest at all - thought it was too "playstationy", if that makes sense:dunno:
    Oh and I loved the first and second Turoks (particularly the first one), never played the third and the multiplayer one was great fun too.

Great machine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

whats OOT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    whats OOT?
    legend of zelda - oracina of time.

saw mario 64 on a mates machine, mindblowing at first:)

Originally posted by tman
    saw mario 64 on a mates machine, mindblowing at first:)

oh yes, i remember....

i was walkin through the toy shop in omni in santry, about to leave when i spot some sort of comotion, they are installing an n64 before its even set for release! was the first to play mario 64 in that store. my god, it was mario, but in 3D.

3D! oh, i wish i was that young again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    oh yes, i remember....

i was walkin through the toy shop in omni in santry, about to leave when i spot some sort of comotion, they are installing an n64 before its even set for release! was the first to play mario 64 in that store. my god, it was mario, but in 3D.

3D! oh, i wish i was that young again.

ah, i remember my first time to.

it was in the freshly opened gamesworld on liffey street while looking to pick up a nice un boxed uber cheap game for my ageing snes when out of the corner of my eye i noticed a strange looking curved black thing with 4, yes 4! controller ports and a strange coloured Escher-like N on it. mounted in it was a strange looking cart smaller than a snes one with mario64 and lots of kanji on it. i suddenly heard a voice talking to me from the tv it was hooked up to saying "It'sa me Mario!" my young jaw dropped. mario's head spinning, his eyes following a star as it spun wildly about his head leaving a trail of smaller stars in its wake, it was 3d, it was mario, it didnt have a controller hooked up!

suddenly a smug employee appeared from behind the counter with a strange device in his hands. could this be a controller? could this thing with more buttons than jaguars controller be the device used to save peach from bowser, to steer mario to victory? he plugged it in, and hit the big red button labled start. mario disappeared. and a castle appeared in its place. it was 3d, it was mario, it was a bloody big castle. the git silently played on as a crowd suddenly sprung from nowhere to look on in awe as mario punched, kicked, jumped, swam and crawled his way through many varied and amazing levels. after a few minutes of awe i plucked up the courage to ask the employee for a go. "excuse me, may i have a go?" i meekly whispered. "No this is for display only" the git replied. my young heart was crushed. however i was determind to have one of these technical marvels when the day came for a european release. i scraped and saved and painted and sold pets to save the money and eventually had enough for a release day purchase. i cant really remember exactly how much i handed over to have one but it was not a pretty number but damn i loved it.

it was eventually sold though when final fantasy 7 appeared and i do miss her dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ahh goldeneye was so cool especially when u used a picture divider and had 4 portable tv's set up. i know , alot of effort but well worth it.

it saddens me tho the way perfect dark was overlooked , another great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I remember seeing the Nintendo 64/Super Mario 64 for the first time. It was at America near the time of its release (September 1996), and I played it at one of those console booths you see in video game stores. Rest assured I was simply aw-strucken. This was MARIO IN 3D. It just looked unfreakin' believable. As much as I wanted to own one of these things, I hadn't $250. Nor $60 for a game.

But a month or so after its European release (March 1997), the console was in my hands, and it was like a blessing. I can't even describe how happy I was to experience this.
    That Christmas I got Starfox 64 (aka Lylat Wars) and WOAH. My controller was shaking! Pilotwings 64 was also recieved to great amazement.

1998 was a really good year for the N64. While the beginning was pretty sparse, (although Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon and Snowboard Kids kept me occupied) the tail end of the year was great. F-Zero X and 1080 Snowboarding came out, along with some promising third-party titles like Turok 2 and Body Harvest.

I remember the lead up to Zelda: OOT, a game which, obviously, was my anticipated game at the time. I decided to preorder the game for the hell of it, something which I never did back then.
    Come to my surprise on the day of its release; the only way of getting the game that day was to preorder it (because THE Games are idiots). I remember walking to GAME and seeing people crying. But I walked out of the store, game in hand, in its gold packing. It was like a blessing all over again. And then y'know the rest; it was the greatest experience ever.

1999 was a drought year in terms of games, which lead me into trading in my N64 for a Dreamcast. The only real standout game I got that year was Super Smash Bros.. Mario Party was good at the time.

I love Goldeneye but, as much as I wanted to like RARE like those guys in Nintendo Official Magazine®, I didn't really like most of their games. Blast Corps and Jet Force Genimi were good, not great. And I really disliked the amount of collecting you had to do in Banjo Kazooie, or buying Diddy Kong Racing when you had the likes of Mario Kart 64 and Snowboard Kids was worthless.

So when Perfect Dark was pushed back to 2000, Donkey Kong 64 was set to appear on my list that Christmas. Needless to say, I was really pissed off with this game, the endless collecting was abomidible. The new Kongs were irritating. It just wasn't fun, it was more like a chore.

So, the following year, Sega's cool edge with Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi (kinda like the Mega Drive/SNES days) and their seemingly endless list of future releases won me over, something that I couldn't say the same about for the N64. While I seriously don't regret buying a Dreamcast, I shouldn't have traded in my N64, I should have just gotten a job or something, since now all those cartridges are gone (and I kept all the boxes in mint condition up to that day).

Also, in retrospect, one could say that the last years of the N64 were its best. What with Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, and Zelda: MM released.

So the moral of this story is to never sell a console which has given you great enjoyment, I lost a friend that way.

End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Playing Pilotwings on Christmas Day. Gently floating above Little America in my handglider was one of the most serine and beautiful sights of that console generation. As well as that I'm going to go with the no-brainers like finishing Goldeneye and getting Epona in OOT for the first time. Also F-Zero X was stunning for it's time, especially the random track generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Super Smash Bros... *sighhhhh* When Luigi WASN'T **** and I kicked ass with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    So the moral of this story is to never sell a console which has given you great enjoyment, I lost a friend that way.

End.
    *nods*
    yep, i learnt that valuable lesson with my snes:(

there's no freaking way my gamecube is every going to leave its spot underneath my telly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i threw out my old non working atari st and master system a few days ago. there was no way my snes or gameboy were going into the skip i tells ya.

ah the n64...the memories...

57 multiplayer world title defences in wrestlemania 2000 with Steve Blackman. Them were the days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Whenever I went to my cousins I'd always spend the day playing Goldeneye. I really wanted my own one but my parents wouldn't get one for me.

Eventually I got the n64 + goldeneye combo thing for christmas and it was possibly one of the happiest days of my life. I got so much enjoyment out of that game. No game has ever come close to it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I only got into the N64 when it was obsolete, and i could buy a second hand one for 40 squid or so. By that time id already got my dreamcast...so im sorry to say it didnt impress me at all. I thought goldenye was good but..not great. Sorry..guess the N64 just kinda passed me by :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a PS but a few friends had N64s. The N64 gave me some of the best multiplayer memories I ever had. Smash Brothers, Goldeneye, Mario Kart. If you got bored of one after a few hours you just went to the next one. I think its a far better party machine than the Gamecube. God bless Nintendo for giving us 4 joypad ports (I hope someone in Sony is listening).

I also remember the first time seeing it. I saw some screenshots of the early games at the official showing that were in magazines and remember think 'oh my god theres no blockiness!'. Then I saw one running Mario 64 in Gamesworld and it looked even better. Unfortunately the nazi bastards wouldn't give me a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

getting toasted with big bunch of mates playing golden eye 4 player 'pass the pad upon dying'. Jesus musta been 15/16 back when i did that... feels so long ago now

Advertisement