Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin now DSL enabled

• 18-01-2004 1:03am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dunshaughlin exchange is now DSL enabled completed, not much good to me tho even tho i live 2km from the exchange, my line aint passing the online test:(
    time for me to get on the phone first thing monday morning and bitch to eircom till they make me pass.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My line is now passing, I have ISDN and never noticed the old 56k modem still plugged into the wallISDN box, I unplugged it about a week ago and my line now pass's. Ordered the Broadband today and it past the live test as well. Only thing that worrys me is that the woman I spoke too sed that the day they install it they will downgrade my ISDN to pstn which is fine but she said that they have to rerun the test after the ISDN is off just to make sure and that there has been some cases that the line fails and if so they'll reconnect my isdn there and then. I really hope this doesnt happen, can this happen? She said sometimes ISDN shows false results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Plain and simple, you were lied to. While the guy is in your house decoupling the ISDN he will make sure that he is able to sych a modem to it. This is to stop him walking out the door, leaving a situation whereby you could be without DSL and your ISDN would be gone.

Regards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wont let him out the door without it working:) Becuase I cant avail of the self-install option this same guy is supposed to set up the modem etc also and test it before he leaves I was told making sure that my broadband works. After paying €165 for the enginneer install I wont let him leave till everythings working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

I'd just like to say that Dunshaughlin is now "officially" live :D:D
    I got my modem today and plugged it in and she's working perfectly, strange considering they told me it wouldnt work till Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by monk
    I'd just like to say that Dunshaughlin is now "officially" live :D:D
    I got my modem today and plugged it in and she's working perfectly, strange considering they told me it wouldnt work till Monday.

I guess like most systems there may be a delay between it being functionally operational (allowing time for testint etc) and publically so..

• Advertisement

monk wot part of dunshaughlin are you in? im in lagore road cul de sac and get me braodband up and running next friday:) hope i get the full 512bps speed

i'm about 100-200 yards past kennys shop heading towards dunshaughlin,
    i'm getting 50-60 kb downloads at the mo
    and my ping is great just had a quick 32 player wolf game with a ping of 60 to germany, thats without tweaking any settings so i should be able to get it down a bit more

kool, so thats only about 600mtrs from where i live so i shud get very similar speeds to you. I'll mainly be init for cs and sof2 plus xbox live. 60 to germany thats awesum, shud prolly get between 25 to 50 on local uk servers.

i've been hitting about 40 to the jolt servers, but thats before i've tweaked the connection/settings so it should be fine, the irish servers according to a few mates who already have dsl should be about 35-40

who are you with for broadband? Eircom or Iol?

• Advertisement

i went with eircom, for the better pings, plus i know a couple of ppl that work for eircom that owe me a few favours that i can call in if things go pear shaped.

at the mo i'm just setting up (and locking down) a wireless network :D g of course (54mbps)

im sorta in the same position myself know the odd person in eircom and got my line passed etc, without their help I would have had isdn dialup forever.

Despite that I would have gone with Eircom anyway because for me gaming comes before everything else internetwise and the best ping gets the job done in my book even if its an average of 10ms less, i read the ping tread top of the broadband forum which is pages long and eircom came out the best pings time and time again with the exception of Esat Business DSL which we cant get.

Hope you have lots of good games on ur broadband monk, i know i will:) I sorta know where u live, I pass by your house 3 or 4 times a day lol up and down to Dunshaughlin Village and Kennys is my local store:)

ive finally goten broadband from eircom today, just for the record i live 2.5km from Dunshaughlin which is a 1 street village, looks like the middle of nowhere, greenfields for miles around with a few houses dotted here and there and got a connection rate of 512bps. Its extremely stable with download rates of 48-65k/sec and ingame pings of 28-50 in cs, sof2 and ut2k3 all day long. This is everybit as stable as freeserve dsl in the uk (which i had used before). Im being migrated to their 24:1 service free of charge from 1st march with 8gig limit for the same price im paying now and I feel im getting excellent service its so rock steady stable i recommend it for light to medium downloaders and gamers in particular but for heavy downloaders with little interest in gaming I would stay clear and opt for either netsource or if you have the cash Eircoms uncapped 2mb service for €169 a month. Those who live in NTL cable or ESAT business DSL areas need not apply as those services are the best in Ireland but as far as the Eircom/IOL/Netsource/UTV RADSL services go, Eircom is the most stable by a country mile.

yep, i cant complain with the service i'm getting steady downloads and pings, the only thing I'm worried about is the 8gb cap productis that interleaving may/may not be turned on, if it is expect pings to increase by 20-40 ms.
    You can look at the other thread at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141077
    I'm all confused now :confused:

im confused too but im waiting till the eircom site is updated with all the packages then i'll make my mind up, it shud in theory say if the 8gb service will be adsl or radsl, the 24:1 contention ratio shud make a bit of difference too giving a more pure connection not that the current ratio seems any way bad atm. Ive been on the net all day playing games and surfing the net this my first day of broadband and only used 25megs so I dont think the cap is really gonna cripple me at all since never have much stuff to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by monk
    yep, i cant complain with the service i'm getting steady downloads and pings, the only thing I'm worried about is the 8gb cap productis that interleaving may/may not be turned on, if it is expect pings to increase by 20-40 ms.
    You can look at the other thread at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141077
    I'm all confused now :confused:
    Both of the 512/128 "products" are RADSL (€40 for 4G/48:1 or €54.45 for 8G/24:1). The 1024 and 2048 products are DSL.

Existing RADSL customers will stay on RADSL. You can pay the same price and get a higher cap and lower contention ration, or drop down to €40 with the same upload cap, same contention and new "upload" cap of 1G.

Advertisement