Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19" CRT or 17" Flatscreen?

• 18-01-2004 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

So for games would you rather have a 17" flatscreen or a 19" crt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

When you say "Flatscreen" if your refering to TFT / LCD screens, then yes a 17" TFT is much better than CRT when it comes to displaying graphics or games the colours are amazing.

Just make sure its a good TFT e.g. 16ms response time & DVI input etc.....

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Ronaldo7,
    If you can try it out first do it. I bought one without research and regretted it.Sold it on but learnt a lesson. I'm now back to my "brighter than before CRT" "thanks joePC etc" :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

19" CRT has same viewable areaas 17" TFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I don't ever plan on going back to CRT. The 17" TFT definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Bear in mind that 1 17" flat-panel will probably only be able to display a maximum resolution of 1280x800. The CRT screen can display much higher resolutions.

Having said that I'd go with the flat panel myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

oh yes, you won't get them annoying reflections on Flatpanels which is a great bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dont know.....the resolutions that Flat Screens display at are very low (I would love a 1600*1200) also the brightness of CRTs is excelent. Flat screens are getting much better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

you'll have to spend a lot on a flat 17" to get anywhere near the brightness, clarity, or especially ACCURACY of colour that you get on a good CRT.
    i got me a 21" crt recently instead of a tft. definitely worth it!

dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by joePC
    When you say "Flatscreen" if your refering to TFT / LCD screens, then yes a 17" TFT is much better than CRT when it comes to displaying graphics or games the colours are amazing.

Just make sure its a good TFT e.g. 16ms response time & DVI input etc.....

Thanks joePC

I have a DVI bit on my gfx card and a 17" TFT screen, if i used this would it make my picture better or something?

at the minute im just using the regular monitor connection

always wondered what the DVI connection does, can i get info on this anywhere or anyone care to explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

TFT's are rubbish for games, and the refresh rates are dire.

Never beat a CRT that costs 1/4 of the price.

My Dell 19 inch kicks the sh*t out of most tft's I've seen.
    Unless you want to spend a few grand or something.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    TFT's are rubbish for games, and the refresh rates are dire.

Never beat a CRT that costs 1/4 of the price.

My Dell 19 inch kicks the sh*t out of most tft's I've seen.
    Unless you want to spend a few grand or something.

my tft has been great for games so far, 75hz refresh rate is fine aswell if you ask me.

after changing from my old CRT i wouldnt go back to them again.. as long as you get a good 16ms response time then gaming on TFT's is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Big Chief
    I have a DVI bit on my gfx card and a 17" TFT screen, if i used this would it make my picture better or something?/B]
    YES use it it's much clearer and there are better colours. If you use a brand name card (Nvidia) they usually come with s/w that can tweak your desktop use DVI and then tweak the desktop, see if you notice any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

The latest generation of flat screen are very suitable for gaming

So if you have the budget go for a good flat screen and check for dead pixels in shop if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

For the same money as your 17" TFT get a decent 21" CRT...

Better colour reproduction, (why do design houses still use them?) higher resolution...

Ohhh the joy of it..Try playing games on a humungous 21"CRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Personally I bought a 22" Cornerstone P1750, You can't really get much better than that in terms of colour reproduction and response rates and all for only 500 bucks in my case. I'm sticking with CRT for the moment and I would advise for you to do the same, unless space is an issue of course, it's not exactly a CRT monitors strong point. This cornerstone is bloody HOOOGE can barely lift it by myself :) Also at the rate TFT technology is accelerating and the prices are dropping it's probably worth your while to hang on for a bit before you go TFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

If your getting a tft make sure its a 20ms one as the 16ms ones ar ****e for gaming

Originally posted by Dman_15
    If your getting a tft make sure its a 20ms one as the 16ms ones ar ****e for gaming

i have a 16ms one and its great for gaming.

as ive said before if your getting a tft for gaming make sure the response time is sub 20 (<20)

what are you basing that opinion on by the way? the people i know with 16ms ones have never had one problem gaming and neither have i..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

the lower the refresh rate the better. surely??:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Henry_14
    the lower the refresh rate the better. surely??:dunno:

The higher the refresh rate (e.g.75Hz, meaning it refreshes 75 times per second) the better. The lower the repsonse time (e.g. 16 milliseconds) the better :)

Have to support the CRT camp here ;) with me old Dell (Sony Trinitron) 21" CRT: refresh rate 100Hz with resolution of 1280*960 and response time of <1 ms

No doubt I will at some point get a good 20" or more LCD. This will probably happen in a year or two when quality has gone up and prices gone down

Edit: BTW 100Hz is about the operating frequency of the human eye. This means that if you look at a picture on a monitor that has a refresh rate of about 100Hz, the picture looks completely still, like on printed paper. Below this and the eye recognises flickering. Hence the headache many people get from working with 60Hz monitors for a long time

think henry_14 was talking about the response time unkel but called it refresh rate :)

i didnt think the human eye could see over 75 fps? or am i wrong?

maybe it is 100 but was sure i read a while back that anything above 75 and it was unviewable to the human eye, either way it dosent really matter i suppose..

i bought the tft to save space on my comp desk and for gaming (and ofcourse eyecandy.. :p), it has done both just fine by me :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Chief
    i didnt think the human eye could see over 75 fps? or am i wrong?

It's different for everyone, but I'll setup a little demo for you:

Go to someone with a very good quality CRT and decent modern graphics card in the PC. Get a full screen picture (still) on the screen that has the same dimensions as the screen is set to (e.g. 1024*768). Switch the resolution between 75Hz and 100Hz and back a few times and notice the difference.

You'll see it everytime ;)

Now switch between 100Hz and 120Hz - probably no difference perceptible

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CRT's..pfttt they suck, I had a 17" then a 21" monster of a CRT and it finally died, so I paid out a CrAzY amount of money for this baby :D

Best bit of money I've spent in ages, less space taken up and it looks sweet!

003.jpg
    Monitor above is a Samsung Syncmaster 172B
    No isses I've ever noticed with games

16ms only display max 65000 colours, i.e 16 bit colour

retract previous, but there is a good review on toms hardware of 16 v 20 ms tfts

Originally posted by Cabaal
    less space taken up

LOL at your picture :)

You do need a TFT alright! My CRT wouldn't even fit on that desk, let alone pc, keyboard, mouse, coffee, etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

I have to say I love my 19" CRT, big beast of a yolk to bring to LAN parties, but otherwise worth every cent of the 300e I paid for it.

As for response times of the human eye, it depends on the coniditions really. Go sit in a dark room and have a 100w light flash at you for a 1/100th of second, will you notice it? Yes. What about 1/200th or 1/500th? Heard somewhere that some Air Force pilots could identify planes in pictures flashed for 1/220th of a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's not really to do with your eyes when it comes to games.

Picture this, you have a beast of a computer, you're playing a game at 1280x960, and getting 120 fps constant

How many hertz do you want. 120hz.

120 fps + 120 hz in VSYNC = no tearing.

(or to a lesser extent, 60fps + 120 hz)

Basically bigger monitors (CRT) with high refresh rates, not only look smoother, but if you get a game in sync, it is smoother.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by unkel
    You do need a TFT alright! My CRT wouldn't even fit on that desk, let alone pc, keyboard, mouse, coffee, etc ;)

My old 21" CRT was CrAzY massive,
    got a nice picture here, http://www.cabaal.org/images/comp/gateway/008.jpg
    It wouldn't even fit sideways on the desk I use for my LCD & Shuttle :D

Advertisement