Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD To 700MB File

• 18-01-2004 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭

how do i make a dvd that i legally own to a 700meg file.

my bro got me the fr.ted box set and i want to watch them whilst on my pc without the need for the discs. (i don't want to ruin the discs with use cos they're priceless ):p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What OS?

For virtually everything BUT windows, HandBrake is yer only man... well, its the easiest

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

X11 UNIX, MacOSX and BeOS, though someone with a decent technical knowledge could take the CLI version from the UNIX version and run it in cygwin, or even run the GUI one (Its GTK+).

Windows - wait till someone else responds :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup unfortually it's windows xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i use dvd decrypter to decode the dvd to my hard drive and the DVDx to encode it.

DVDx has options so that you can chose the file size or split it into multiple parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Convert the DVD to VCD or MPEG 1/2 should work.

Thanks joePC...

Originally posted by joePC
    Convert the DVD to VCD or MPEG 1/2 should work.

Thanks joePC...

how i go about doing this??

obiviously i don't mind if the file is like 750megs but i'd like to keep it under a gig

• Advertisement

*cough* *cough*

my post ^

ooppps didn't see that i'll try it out

yea you should do. especially dvdx. has loads of options.

http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

i have to have a VIP Pass to get it?

http://www.labdv.com/notloggedin.php?urlfrom=%2Findex.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

www.doom9.org should have all the guides you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

if you have the hard drive space just dump the whole image file as one big ass 7(?)gig iso file, theres the option in eve decrypter and then mount it with deamon tools, it would keep all the quality, menus extras etc just like the disc

also anydvd, is an invaluable tool for anything do with dvd backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

LIsten to plazz. Go to http://doom9.org . Download DvD Decrypter and a copy of AutoGK and you'll be grand. Alternatively you can use a much more complicated but much more powerful combo of Robot4Rip, BeSweet, Gordian Knot, Virtualdub Mod and Oggmux. If you want to do that, can I recommend checking out http://www.everwicked.com , again it has pretty comprehensive guides, handily put together into PDFs

And the fatehr ted box set is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yep, like Civilian_Target said, the DVD Decrypter / AutoGK combo is very easy, and the quality is excellent for something which needs almost no user input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

I agree with plazz and civilian

Use Gknot from doom9.org

I haven't used the auto GKnot yet, but I use the other, more manual GKnot regularly!
    It gives very high quality rips but its difficult to use at first.

TBH 700 mgs is overkill for an eps of Fr Ted. The eps are < 30mins and having ripped that Fr Ted box set myself, I think 230 megs per episode is fine, then you can fit 3 eps on a cd!

If you want any help with Gordian Knot pm me and I can send you my settings and a quick guide on how to rip, (the doom9 guides are great but are a bit dawnting for first timers)
    BTW I recommend practising with trailers or very short clips to begin with.
    Ya don't want to spend 1/2 an hour encoding an ep only to find it is messed up!

Happy ripping :)

Originally posted by plazz2000
    Yep, like Civilian_Target said, the DVD Decrypter / AutoGK combo is very easy, and the quality is excellent for something which needs almost no user input.

tried and worked perfectly cheers guys!!

i knew i could trust the guys at boards.ie :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

After just completely my own Father Ted backup (all 4 discs). Heres what i recommend.

I wouldn't use Dvd Decrpytor for this job, as each disc contains several episodes of father ted. My advice is to split the disc up into seperate parts, each part an episode.

To do this i recommend "Smart Ripper". Its very easy to use. E.g in smart ripper, on disc four you'll see Title 1 - Title 7 on the disc. Title 2 contains all the 8 episodes, and is automatically opened up (as its the longest title). Inside this title there are 9 program chains, chain 1-8 are the 8 episodes. Just select each chain and rip it to a seperate folder.

When thats done, you can then encode to Divx or Xvid for best quality and small filesize. After testing them both (and i did test em) i decided that XviD 1.0 beta 3 is better in quality to Divx. Hence i used that instead of DivX. I also used Gordian Knot (But i hear auto Gknot is easier to use for new people.)

Basically i resized the episodes to 512x384 and encoded 3 episodes on each 700mb cd. But if you really wanted, you could get 4 on each cd in good quality (except for the 1 hour xmas special, that counts as 2.5 episodes).

Then i encoded the audio to quality 0.7, mono ogg, and made the files into .ogm files.

Hey presto, you have your backup.

if you want a more complete guide, pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

EasyDivX ( http://easydivx.does.it/ ).does the job.simple.

Advertisement