Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

Options
  • 18-01-2004 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Am treating myself to the following set-up;

Pioneer PDP 434 HDE Plasma, Pioneer VSX Ax5i Amp and Pioneer DVD868 Ai. Their all i-linked. and yes it's a fortune !.

My final dillema is the speakers - I had KEF KHT 2005.2's picked but the guy in richersounds said I would not get the best from the amp.

Silver is the ideal colour - any suggestions?

Thks
    Buzz

Ps getting plasma from richer in Belfast and most likely rest from techtronics as they are giving best price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Cant help you, but im wondering where you were looking at the KEF Mark 2's. Was it in Richersounds? Any idea how much they were looking for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I would have to disagree with Richer Sounds and say that the Kef KHT speakers are capable of getting the best out of that particular amp. I've had the opportunity to listen to these speakers with many different amps, and you can hear the difference in the amplifiers right up to amps costing approx €1300 or so, after that you need to match the amp with better speakers.

The KEF speakers are excellent with both music and movies, I have never been disapointed, except when there has been a cheap amp trying to drive them.

Although I haven't heard the particular amp you mention with the KEF speakers, I've heard it's predecessor, and it sounded pretty good with the KEF speakers.

You mention silver is the ideal colour, which leads me to believe you are also probably looking to keep the speakers discrete. As a possible alternative, you may consider the Anthony Gallo micro nucleus series. These speakers are tiny spherical units (barely bigger than a tennis ball) and sound is considerably better than the KEF KHT range. They are priced accordingly too...! With the Gallo speakers you could feed a more expensive amp into them and notice the difference, should the need ever arise.

The only other real alternative is traditional 'box' type speakers. You could pick up something like the Monitor Audio Bronze range of speakers for about the same price of the KEF KHT.

Let us know how you get on!

Good luck,

Robbie

Advertisement