Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aresnal-v-Villa

• 18-01-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal win puts them two points clear of United and six of Chelsea

Villa aregiving out about Henry's freekick saying there was no whistle but the ref said afterwards that he does'nt have to blow the whistle just make a signal

Thought's on the matter???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Villa aregiving out about Henry's freekick saying there was no whistle but the ref said afterwards that he does'nt have to blow the whistle just make a signal

That's fair enought but for the fact that in the second half he made a point of telling Villa to wait for the whistle on a similarly situated free kick.

Dubious pen too IMO some are given some are not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

3 points was a fair result here.
    villa got off to a good start but to be honest they were all huff and puff with no thoughts of how to finish a move
    only one shot on target for all of villa efforts
    however the centre midfield for arsenal had a very poor game
    very surprised how bad vieira played gave away too many balls but made a few important tackles, as regards gilberto well he played to his usual standerd
    pires was magnificent..the best attacking midfielder this season so far imo
    ljundburg was ok unlucky not to get on more of things
    henry looked like he wasnt interested sometimes but still got 2 goals and displayed some magic
    cygan had a shakey start but grew into the game more and more or less had angel in his pocket as the game wore on

and king kolo on as a sub as a forward
    def the best buy for arsenal recently played well as he is just back form injury

o leary can complain all he wants but a similar free kick when he was a leeds manager went his way then and he wasnt complaining then was he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by jank
    o leary can complain all he wants but a similar free kick when he was a leeds manager went his way then and he wasnt complaining then was he!

indeed, poor Dave seems to be suffering from memory loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    indeed, poor Dave seems to be suffering from memory loss

Ian hartes free kick against arsenal has no relvance whatsoever as the referree in that match was not blocking the wall.

Halsey did not step away from henry before he allowed him to take the free.

When Allback came up to block the kick in order to give the wall time to assemble the ref told him to get back however when villa had a free kick ljunberg was allowed to block the kick to give the wall time to assmble and angel was told to wait for the whistle. That was pure too faced refeering

As for the penalty decision Kanu fell on the ground in the box. whilst mellberg happend to be 1 meter away from him.

this referre needs to back to school. he gifted arsenal these 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think there are more bitter Utd fans around here than there is Villa fans :D

Delighted for Arsenal, finally their very, very impressive unbeaten run in the EPL has them in the position they should be in.

And as for the complaining on bad refereeing, if ye have problems with it just don't follow soccer anymore cos the sport is littered with bad referee's. I've just accepted the fact. Hopefully when Sepp 'I'm a Muppet and I like others to know it' Blatter steps down we might see a change in standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by jonno
    I think there are more bitter Utd fans around here than there is Villa fans :D

How true. The whole defeat to Wolves thing is, well, sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

How true. The whole defeat to Wolves thing is, well, sad.

I'm sure thats one the united supporters here will save for WHEN Arsenal get beaten - who knows maybe by Liverpool - ya never know !!

R-N-B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Delighted for Arsenal, finally their very, very impressive unbeaten run in the EPL has them in the position they should be in.

Interesting view on it ! I thought they were there because United, who have won more games than Arsenal, were beaten by Wolves yesterday.

Remember the season is not over yet, there's still plenty of time for Arsenal to be humiliated yet !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

As for the penalty decision Kanu fell on the ground in the box. whilst mellberg happend to be 1 meter away from him

Bad refereeing in an Arsenal game? Hmmm. Perhaps your memory of Alan Shearer's non-penalty has been deselected from your memory.

What is it that they say? "These things have a way of evening themselves out".

[/cliche]

I think there are more bitter Utd fans around here than there is Villa fans

I was just giving an honest opinion on what I saw jonno. I didn,t see any bitterness in the comments.

How did Liverpool fare this weekend?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I can't wait for Arsenal visiting The Bridge in a few weeks time: fingers crossed their unbeaten run will come to and end.
    Angel did not have his shooting boots on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Poor refereeing. The Richard Keys-wannabe on Premiership Plus got info at half-time from one of the Sky crew (The prem plus equivalent of that Claire one :p) that it was actually the referee who suggested a quick free kick to Henry in the first place. he admitted himself.

I mean how **** is that? Fair enough he didn't score the goal but it shouldn't be in his job description to help a team out in any way. Thats like telling a 'keeper that such and such a striker always aims to the left when hes taking a peno. He should be suspended for interfering in my opinion.

Don't think it was a penalty either and I thought Kanu was offside before it anyway.

Also everytime Villa got a free he made a point of saying "WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!". Bit of consistency maybe?

As regards Harte's goal vs Arsenal a few years back the referee had stepped away from the ball before it and had stopped whereas today Halsey only started backtracking away from the ball as Henry ran up to it.

Very bad form in my opinion.
    Bad refereeing in an Arsenal game? Hmmm. Perhaps your memory of Alan Shearer's non-penalty has been deselected from your memory.

What is it that they say? "These things have a way of evening themselves out".

Not that this should matter much anymore because that game is a bit old now but that didn't even itself out so to speak as a perfectly good Silvestre goal was ruled out too.

All I'll say is its no coincidence Arsenal do terrible in europe when they don't have refs giving them stupid decisions like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Can't you just feel the love tonight?

kanu offside before he was fouled?
    didnt he pass by a player or two before he was fouled
    well isnt obstuction a foul!?
    It is in my book
    so it was a peno
    simple

A lot of bitterness on here
    All I'll say is its no coincidence Arsenal do terrible in europe when they don't have refs giving them stupid decisions like today

so by that reckoning arsenal won(gifted :rolleyes:) the double twice and the fa cup last year solely based on poor refereeing decsions!?

typical red never giving credit where credit is due

but but but....
    arent arsenal the dirtyist bunch of scumbags in the world (well england anyway)?!
    so how come the BETTER european referee's dont book them or send them off as much!?

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/Statistics/Clubs/TypeStat=YC.html
    :confused:

consistent inconsistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I was just giving an honest opinion on what I saw jonno. I didn,t see any bitterness in the comments.

How did Liverpool fare this weekend?:D

Sorry it wasn't aimed at you. I should rephrase and say that when I said 'here' I wasn't just talking about this forum but a few people I was talking to after the game. Sorry you misinterpreted.

BTW Liverpool lost 2-1 to Spurs away at White Heart Lane ;)

No because lets face it you expect Arsenal to beat teams like Villa. Its when they meet tougher opposition they struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Jank, Check the rules regarding the punishment for Obstruction - you will find its an indirect free-kick. there fore you have just admitted it should not have been a penalty.

Originally posted by James R
    No because lets face it you expect Arsenal to beat teams like Villa. Its when they meet tougher opposition they struggle.

theve allready played the "tougher" opposition. Beat chelsea, liverpool, newcastle etc.

United couldnt beat them at home

Fair enought Jonno , My mistake i thought you were talking about this thread.

Check the rules regarding the punishment for Obstruction - you will find its an indirect free-kick. there fore you have just admitted it should not have been a penalty.

I couldn,t have said it better myself. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by kida
    Jank, Check the rules regarding the punishment for Obstruction - you will find its an indirect free-kick. there fore you have just admitted it should not have been a penalty.

I don't know what version of the rules you were reading but there is no punishment for Obstruction, in fact Obstruction is never mentioned in th rules. Impeding the progress of another player is and if that is what you meant, then you would be correct in the punishment.

It is a direct free kick and so a penalty in the box if a player is reckless in charging an opponent (one possible interpretation of what happened). Also, nowhere in the rules does it say that the referee has to signal when the free kick is allowed to be taken, he must keep his hand above his head until it is taken but does not have to blow the whistle or make any other gesture to have the free kick go ahead, he does however have to signal for a penalty.

• Advertisement

I couldn,t have said it better myself. :D:D

maybe because you dont have a clue!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I don't know what version of the rules you were reading but there is no punishment for Obstruction, in fact Obstruction is never mentioned in th rules. Impeding the progress of another player is and if that is what you meant, then you would be correct in the punishment.

It is a direct free kick and so a penalty in the box if a player is reckless in charging an opponent (one possible interpretation of what happened). Also, nowhere in the rules does it say that the referee has to signal when the free kick is allowed to be taken, he must keep his hand above his head until it is taken but does not have to blow the whistle or make any other gesture to have the free kick go ahead, he does however have to signal for a penalty.

How exactly was Mellberg meant to get out of his way??? as for charging he never moved. Kanu also hit the ball well ahead of him and wouldn't of got to it.
    As for the refereee keeping his hand above his head thats for an indirect free kick, the referee is meant to clearly move away from the ball before the free kick is taken, he didn't do that.

If you wanna go by the law of the land, the Arsenal players should have been booked for refusing to move 10 yards when asked repeatedly.

The ref asked Henry if he wanted to take it quickly, would he have done so if he didn't????

anybody see barry's tackle on ljundburg!?

it should have been straight red card there for a disgracefull tackle

I see that the papers are doing the usual of making themsleves proud:rolleyes:

from the Telegraph
    "Henry had already provoked the Villa fans' fury for clutching his face in the manner of a Greek tragedian following an innocuous brush from Jlloyd Samuel's woolly glove."

an innocuous brush that need 3 stitches!?
    must be very sensitive that chap

anybody see barry's tackle on ljundburg!?

it should have been straight red card there for a disgracefull tackle
    Ya what??? Tackles likle that happen every week, it was from the side and late thats all.

Very simalar to the one Rooney got booked for on Ronaldo. If they were to start giving out red cards for that there been 20 every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Originally posted by irish1
    Ya what??? Tackles likle that happen every week, it was from the side and late thats all.

Very simalar to the one Rooney got booked for on Ronaldo. If they were to start giving out red cards for that there been 20 every week.

Have to disagree with you there mate. The challange was hasty and Barry should have got a straight red. Could have done some serious injury to Ljunberg.

Originally posted by ErinGoBrath
    Have to disagree with you there mate. The challange was hasty and Barry should have got a straight red. Could have done some serious injury to Ljunberg.

Come on lads there are a lot worse tackles than that every saturday, I admit it was late and deserved a yellow card, but anything more would be redicilous. It wasn't from behind and no studs were showing.

he didnt even make an atempt to go for the ball he was so late in the tackle it was beyond comprehension

ljundberg was lucky to get out of it with only a knock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I see that the papers are doing the usual of making themsleves proud:rolleyes:

from the Telegraph
    "Henry had already provoked the Villa fans' fury for clutching his face in the manner of a Greek tragedian following an innocuous brush from Jlloyd Samuel's woolly glove."
    I was actually getting fed up with the papers licking Henry's bloody arse. Henry has signalled gestures in the direction of the away crowd a few times now and he has an excuse for all of them. I didn't see him cluthing his face after brudhing off Samuel's gloves but for once I would tend to agree with the papers on this one.

what kind of innocuous brush would result in someone getting 3 stitches in the mouth!??

just proves how fickle the papers are.
    instead of giving asrenal credit they try an knock them at every attempt
    cant imagine what it would be like if/when they lose a game

the end of arsenal as a football club no doubt

remember in the summer all the papers were prediciting the downfall of arsenal and being the next leeds.
    dont forget the battle of old tralford crap
    4-5 months on and they continue to write ****e like that even though arsenal have been outstanding this season so far

only one player brought in for 1.5 million and their still unbeaten in the league
    how much did chelsea and utd spend over the summer.

even if arsenal win nothing I think it is an achievement in itself for what they have done up to now.

• Advertisement

what kind of innocuous brush would result in someone getting 3 stitches in the mouth!??
    The kind that is accidental.

How exactly was Mellberg meant to get out of his way??? as for charging he never moved. Kanu also hit the ball well ahead of him and wouldn't of got to it.
    As for the refereee keeping his hand above his head thats for an indirect free kick, the referee is meant to clearly move away from the ball before the free kick is taken, he didn't do that.

If you wanna go by the law of the land, the Arsenal players should have been booked for refusing to move 10 yards when asked repeatedly.

The ref asked Henry if he wanted to take it quickly, would he have done so if he didn't????

Exactly. It wasn't a penalty! Also I read today on football365.com that Halsey told the Villa players to wait for his whistle and then suggest to Henry to take it quickly. WTF? I mean come on? Two faced?!

people will bring up Harte's goal vs Arsenal a few seasons back but the difference there was that the referee had stepped back and had stopped moving before Harte struck the ball.

for most of the match villa were just taking down players.
    :o

Originally posted by Henry_14
    for most of the match villa were just taking down players.
    :o
    Thats a bit rich considering Arsenal's disaplinary record!:D

Thats a bit rich considering Arsenal's disaplinary record!:D

Top of the fair play league is it:D

bitter bitter reds i what i see here
    Thats a bit rich considering Arsenal's disaplinary record!

is that the best you can do?!
    The kind that is accidental.
    i know it wasnt done on purpose but henry got a fair old whack of the arm there and the papers are making put that was only a little "brush"

bad form for the villa fans booing him aswell when he went down injured
    well what would you expect from the midlands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I didnt see the game, but I thought the free kick was dubious. Villa could probably feel hard done by with that. The penalty however looked fair. There was definite contact with Kanu, good enough for a peno anyway. From the highlights it didnt seem like villa were in it at all, so moaning about 1 of the goals is slightly irelevant.

Villa fans chanting "The referees a w**ker" is something i havnt heard in a while.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I didnt see the game, From the highlights it didnt seem like villa were in it at all, so moaning about 1 of the goals is slightly irelevant.

Watch the game then because apart from the 2 dead ball incidents we were well in it mate, and I don't know how you could think it was a penalty, you obviously don't know the rules of the game.

Did anyone notice that the referee wouldn't comment on the penalty decision after the game, wtf is that all about, I'l talk about the free kick but not the penalty????

Jank I was simply pointing out people that Arsenal fans shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, some tackles were a little tough but nothing over the top, as Wenger siad after the game it was a good Physical contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Villa fans chanting "The referees a w**ker" is something i havnt heard in a while.
    The Chelsea fans chanted that too in their match yeterday.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The Chelsea fans chanted that too in their match yeterday.

Really? What did he do?

Good match though (villa)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Watch the game then because apart from the 2 dead ball incidents we were well in it mate, and I don't know how you could think it was a penalty, you obviously don't know the rules of the game.

Maybe i missed something, but the defender made contact with kanu who was in a goalscoring position?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Maybe i missed something, but the defender made contact with kanu who was in a goalscoring position?

Mellberg never Moved, Kanu lost control of the ball by it hitting well ahead of him and then ran into Mellberg, he had no nope of getting out of the way.

Mellberg never Moved, Kanu lost control of the ball by it hitting well ahead of him and then ran into Mellberg, he had no nope of getting out of the way.

he was blocking his run he would have been clean through and if you were honest about it you would see a peno given for less

lehman only had one save to make
    as i said villa were all huff and puff but to be honest arsenal were in control really
    angel did nothing
    cygan had him in his pocket!

he was blocking his run he would have been clean through and if you were honest about it you would see a peno given for less

lehman only had one save to make
    as i said villa were all huff and puff but to be honest arsenal were in control really
    angel did nothing
    cygan had him in his pocket!

Oh so every defender is meant to jump out of the way now because an attacker decides to run straight at him???:rolleyes:

Allback's strike was on target but the defender got a touch on it, Angel also had a chance, I didn't say Villa deserved to win but we were well in the game it was by no means all one sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How many tomes do you see a defender obstructing a stricker from getting the ball when its about th go dead so whats the difference

Originally posted by kmart6
    How many tomes do you see a defender obstructing a stricker from getting the ball when its about th go dead so whats the difference
    Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I don't know what version of the rules you were reading but there is no punishment for Obstruction, in fact Obstruction is never mentioned in the rules. Impeding the progress of another player is and if that is what you meant, then you would be correct in the punishment.

Ok now I'm getting a little pissed off, listen look at the video and you will see:

Mellberg doesn't move Kanu sees him knocks the ball well past him and runs into him.

Where the Fu.ck did Mellberg get the chance to get out of his way, he couldn't of even if he wanted to. Seriously like how in gods name do you think he fouled him??:mad: :mad:

Mellberg doesn't move Kanu sees him knocks the ball well past him and runs into him.

You're right Irish1. The worst it should have been was an indirect free kick. No wonder the ref refused to comment on it.

He did say he asked Henry if he wanted to take a quick free kick after telling gthe villa players to wait for the whistle according to medai reports on the incident. If that is true his impartialty has to be called into question. No doubt he will be popular with Mr Dien and his friends at the F.A..

I never said any thing about that incident so dont be givein out to me.I was supporting you

I was just stating that defeners are alway's obsructing strickers and getting away with it

If that is true his impartialty has to be called into question. No doubt he will be popular with Mr Dien and his friends at the F.A..

He said in his interview that he gives each player the option of getting the ten yards or a quick free to which Henry took the option of a quick free.He also said he does'nt have to blow his whistle just make a signal indicating that the free was going to be taken.So by his accounts of the rules he has done nothing wrong

Originally posted by kmart6
    I never said any thing about that incident so dont be givein out to me.I was supporting you

I was just stating that defeners are alway's obsructing strickers and getting away with it

Sorry kmart, just getting a little annoyed because I'm being listening to Arsenal fans all day saying how it was a blatent penalty, and it wasn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement