Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Genesis games be played on PAL Megadrive?

Options
  • 18-01-2004 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

As far as I remember, genesis carts had a differnt slot shape to pal ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

Originally posted by smiaras
    Yeah there are lots of differnet shape carts, as far as I know EA for some reason had their own cart shape also, don't think this has any effect on what machine they can be played on though.

I didn't say "differnt shape" , I said "differnt slot shape", ie. dont fit.
    A converter would be hard to find these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

very few mega drive games had region lockouts on them. but near the end of its life companies did begin to add them. but roughly 90% of games are universal though.

• Advertisement

These fellas here seem to have one

and here

You prob know bout this fella

Gens plays them all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most converters are just bridges that link the different shaped cart with the slot. My solution was to cut the plastic out around the slot. Crude but effective.

Bit of trivia but the reason that EA carts are different shapes is that during the early years of Master System and Mega Drive EA made some of the most atrocious games ever for these systems. Sega refused to publish any EA games and EA had to make their own cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cutting the plastic off the sides of the cart did the job for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Originally posted by bus77
    You prob know bout this fella

Gens plays them all

That emulator able to run on XP, bus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gens works on XP and is by far the best megadrive emulator. It runs absolutely every game I've tried. I still haven't come across a game with weird raster effects that this emulator couldn't handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The EA carts bypass the copy protection so they're region free.

The games up until 1992 had no region protection; I had Japanese copies of Wonderboy 3 and Outrun. You just have to nip the plastic off the edges and they work a treat.

Bad news is most of the later carts were protected; Street Fighter 2 is one of the first I remember having trouble with.

A Mega Drive is piss easy to mod though. And the PAL conversions back in the day were rubbish so opting for JAP or US games is a great idea.

Advertisement