Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting VHS to DVD

• 18-01-2004 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Folks

Any suggestions on what has worked well for you in terms of best cards and software to convert old VHS tapes over to DVD ?

Anyone offer opinions on a budget DVD writer just to copy the young kids DVDs and burn the odd decent one for meself ? Any decent prices in Ireland or do I go the Uk guys on the net ?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

To maintain any sorta quality you'll need a half decent capture card/box...

if money is no option for convenience I'd suggest a dazzle type mpg2 external encoder box - they come in usb2/IEEE 1394 flavours and all you have to do is play the video through the box and a dvd-compatable mpg2 file will appear on your computer which you can easily author & burn without any other conversion necessary.

Other capture card systems - DV, MJPEG, etc - will require you to encode the video to a compatable format after you've captured it which can take some time.... I have seen freeware mpeg/2 encoders on the web - bbmpeg is one that springs to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I amn trying to do this at the moment for my wedding videos.

I plugged in my vcr to a pinncacle tv tuner card and just used some capturing software to capture locallly as avi files.

I now need to edit them (change the audio by dubbing over songs) and then convert to both vcds and dvds so i can distrubute to family members who want copies. looks like its gonna take me aggggesss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I use a combo of a Radeon AIW and Sonic MyDVD..

Sonic MyDVD will capture straight to DVD...Captures in Mpeg2 and builds the disc up for you...

Easy as Pi....

Advertisement