Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Insurance Question

Options
  • 19-01-2004 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

My wife currently pays around E1600 per year for her 1997 Punto on a full license. It is rough - primarily as she doesnt have any named driving history.

I have seen somewhere - that some insurance companies - would allow a driver (Me) to add unnamed drivers as long as they were over 25 and had full licenses (Wife). I would assume this to be much cheaper as I have 5 years NCB and have been quoted well even on reasonably powerful cars.

Can anyone point me to an insurance company that could do this - if at all possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My policy with the AA (Axa) turned out to be cheaper by having my wife on board. I believe that this was the same with hers (was cheaper to have me on board)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Odd and Ironic.
    She is currently with AXA. Does the AA have anything to do with AXA?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AA are brokers & AXA is one of the companies they use.
    I have found that going direct to the company is often more expensive than going via a broker (esp. the AA).
    For e.g. last Sept. my cheapest quote [on '89 2L BMW] turned out to be €600 (this was the AA quote from AXA). Axa direct wanted something like €1600 if I remember correctly for a similar policy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thats crazy.
    I cant - for the life of my- understand why the Irish Government allows this - its obviously pretty damn unorganised and bordering on illegal and just damn immoral.

There - Ive kinda vented.

Now I need to figure out how to get to sleep. 1am - isnt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You think that's bad? Try getting a male under the age of 25 insured in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Ask your broker to give Allianz a try. Put yourself down as main driver and your wife as named and see how it works out. They usually give your spouse a reasonable rate.

Advertisement