Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting my dogs nails

Options
  • 19-01-2004 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    i want to cut my dogs nails as they are long and she has the habbit of scrapping at doors to get into her desired room. i am moving into a new house which i am renting and htey have wooden floors.
    I just really want to know is it okay to cut your dogs nails, if i do it myself i will get proper dog scissors for her however i probably more than likely bring her to a dog groomers.

so, is it okay to cut trilo's nails.

She is a cocker spaniel X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'd have a chat to a dog groomer/vet first, I think you might need a special clippers, and you have to be careful not to cut the nails too short.

The nails up the dogs leg a bit away from the paw (can't remember the proper name) are especially sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I would agree with Lafortezza.
    Also. If you give the dog plenty of Roadwork it should keep the nails under control!
    That was our Vets advice anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

trilo doesnt get much road exercise as i usually bring her for walks in the forest/woods by my house. However, i have decided to bring her to the dog groomers and get them to do it.
    i know there is a special scissors for cutting their nails, however i would rather not cut her nails myself, she wont even let me trim the hair around her paws anyway so there is no way in hell she would let me cut her nails.
    maybe i will start bringing her for walks along the road instead of the grass, might make some difference.

Thanks a million:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just to add another point in the cutting of nails

If you look at the nail you sill see a very small black line in the nail, from what i have been told that is a vein and if you cut it there could be mass complications, i dont know if that is scare tactics but it stopped me from messing with stuff i dont know.

just thought i would share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I agree with the road walking, keeps the length under control, otherwise the dog groomers do a fab job.
    Zak goes to a place in Bray and just adore sitting under the drier while it blows him dry. One pampered poochy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

tis grand if you dont cut the vein.prob better off getting it professionally done.saves the worry eh!

Advertisement