Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you see the next GE going?

Options
  • 19-01-2004 2:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is alot of dis-sadisfaction with the current government, and I personally would be surprised if they dont lose seats in the next GE, however I dont imagine them losing power, as they still have a huge loyal vote and there (IMO) is no party strong enough to pick up on their slack.
    What would make the next election very interesting would be if the voter numbers picked up, and the youth made their choice. In theory a 100% voter turn out could really change the political scene (or it could do nothing).

My predictions are a drop in seats for FF, a slight (very slight) rise for FG, a rise in the more extreme party seats (Lab, SF) and another drop for the PDs.
    I also think that voter numbers will increase (for two reasons, the first being the increased interest in politics following the iraq issue and other topics of great debate such as the smoking ban, and because the next GE will be the first to show the effects of CSPE in the Junior Cert. I missed the last GE by afew months, and my year was the first to be thought it, so by the next GE there will be afew years worth of students eligable to vote. Although the subject has and will not get everyone to vote, i do think it will help even a little).

What do you see happening?

Flogen
    *i do understand that its a while away, but going by the current climate*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I pray every night that those 'loyal voters' will one day see FF for what they really are. How much further into the sh*tter can we allow the current government to drag us?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

We need to see how the locals go first, if Fine Gael have stopped the rot and if Fianna Fail are really going to lose some of their core vote who act all indignant these days. Sinn Fein are on a high from their assembly elections, but a week is a long time in politics and they are being hounded a bit at the moment. Labour have the oldest people in the Dáil so it will be important that some young guns make their way through to local authorities. Greens still need to create a solid base locally. Independents had a great day in last General Election, their day may be replaced by Sinn Féin's day.

Advertisement