Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.playerofgames.com

Options
  • 09-04-2000 7:52pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its only just starting but Shadow's Lan was just too good a place to launch it. GB and Ronin and the team are feeding it news, we could do with some articles, columns and we'll eventually have review copy to review (within a few weeks).

There is a lot more to this under the hood (whole engine for sub site about specific games), you can customise the news and the look and feel...

Lots gonna happen over the next 6 weeks but for now its a centre for irish news.

www.playerofgames.com

Enjoy!

Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

So what happens to qamex & quake.ie? Are we in competition or have we been assimilated?

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I think once Ronin left qamex the site hit rock bottom so fast - its good to have him baq in playerofgames.

Lovely site smile.gif

A link to the boards would be nice - for us who are too lazy to type while surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, qamex has been dead for a good while.

We need a good news site for Ireland. Thought it was gonna be challenge-ie, but suppose not now.

We need all (and ****ing better) the ****e and scandal and top class coverage quakenation gives the UK quake community, and every other communitys local site gives !

We need a resource to put and get demos and that ****. Like suds used ot have. That was 100's and 100's of mb's back in the day!

If POG can do that then fair play and more power to you !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Quake.ie got assimulated, Qamex died. frown.gif

Quake.ie has been assimulated as I have said but not as much as you might think...

Here's an example...

Go check www.playerofgames.com and read the news piece marked "CS Beta".

Now go to www.ign.ie/tfc and notice that exactly the same news piece is there.

The TFC guys are using the POG system to publish their news and to recieve our news as well. This is the power of community. We give them what we find on the net relating to their topic and in return they feed their special interest info to us.

I'd like to see specific sites for UT, Q3 and SC put together too. All we need are people who are willing to write regularly.

How is this different to Challenge? Well Challenge is a great idea and I wish Hoony the best with it but it is a different site to POG and I wanted to build this to see if we can make it work... I certainly dont think POG and Challenge are in competition as much of the news we get is attributed to sites like Challenge. I could even see a time when Challenge uses the POG system...

Glad you like the site bubbles but one of the kewl things is that (as you can see with TFC) the site incorporates the idea of "skins" so pretty soon we will have a few skins you can choose to view your data through. In fact we might even have a competition for the best one smile.gif)

One thing I did forget to mention in my post was that we announced the winners of the Boards.ie competition at the lan.

Bubbles gets a (real) CDRW for all the suggestions he made.

Acous gets a colour printer for the work he did with HTML to get us our new (softer) colour scheme.

Congrats lads.
    Tom.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Challenge is more based around community news then just being a general web site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

i left qamex , along with all the others, due to a issue. Once we all left the updates became few and far between, alot don`t release how long it takes to get used to updating on a regular basis, its a novelty that wears off after a while. It takes effort, and sites other then blues are visited for the latest news. the qamex servers are now not even plugged in, well one is i think.

I just noticed on qamex that they are planning a relaunch. fair enough, good luck to the team whoever they are.

Ro

Ronin@playerofgames.com
    http://www.playerofgames.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

El-Pres : its just i have not seen any news of any nature on ch-ie for quite a while, and all the links are waaaaay out of date, I was just wondering, but I see your back this morning

Ro - lets not go into what happened to qamex, or what is going to happen to qamex, let those who with to do whatever, do whetever!

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 10-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

El_Pres - a 'Old News' section would be cool aswell. I've often returned and found the news i wanted gone. I like the site tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Heh I won something ! whoooooo !

Cheers lads, it will come in handy. My moans and rants about boards.ie must have been good! so I'll do it more often from now on.

Thanx again lads.

P.S. If this turns out to be anything that makes fire, I'm going to burn down your houses !! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Vag

Blame Hoony man, the whole Challenge network was just moved to a new host. This meant we couldn't update for a few weeks there.

On the plus side, I am now an admin(!) and can add writers etc. Also the columns should be now working (I'll check it later today)

Expect new stuff soon.

Andy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

Qamex is dead. Closed. Site will redirect to next project on a different domain soon enough.
    Expect something a bit different next.

Good luck to the lads on POG.com, Ireland needs a good news site

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Will the successor of Qamex be providing game servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

GSP is under consideration, as are other technological aspects.

[This message has been edited by Suds (edited 11-04-2000).]

Advertisement