Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to terminate running lease early?

• 19-01-2004 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

what possibilities are there to get out of a running lease early? My lease is running for a few more months, and I would like to get out of it, as I will probably leave Ireland.

Any legal ways, or how did you do it, or any advice ?

THX,
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

how much notice are you on did you give a month in advance as a deposit? its usually one month notice from either party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

It is a one year lease. No notice agreed in contract. Deposit was one Month Rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

A one year lease binds you for a year.
    You have agreed to rent the place for a year.
    However the landlord may well let you out of this if you are nice to them.
    e.g if they were able to get a new tennant to move in the day you leave or if you paid rent for any time in between that the property is vacant and paid advertising costs and compensation for the time the landlord now has to take to get a new tennant.
    Another option would be to see if the landlord will accept a new tennant that you can provide to take over the lease (friends etc.), although a lot of landlords will not want people they havent vetted themselves in the property.
    No harm in asking though.

At the end of the day the landlord probably has a 1 month deposit from you and if you say that you are moving out but they can keep the deposit this will cover their costs.
    They are unlikely to chase you for the rest of the years rent if you have come to an agreement.

Advertisement