Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom POP3 Mail

• 19-01-2004 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know of any issues when using an eircom pop3 email on an IBB conection. I am able to receive emails fine (i think) but when i try to send them i get an error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'XXXXX@XXXXX.com'. Subject 'XXXXX', Account: 'mail1.eircom.net', Server: 'mail1.eircom.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Any ideas?

ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Try checking your mail first before sending, if that doesn't work use IBB's SMTP server.
    That's just a relay restriction because you're not connected to Eircom's network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    That's just a relay restriction because you're not connected to Eircom's network.
    yep, hit the nail on the head.

the eircom.net mail server will normally only let people with eircom (or other allowed) IP addresses to send mail through their mail servers. i believe ntl users are still able, but IOL and ESAT have been blocked in response to the aforementioned blocking eircom IP ranges from using their mail servers in a tit for tat styleee.

generally using the outgoing mail server of whoever you are using to connect will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by edcasey15
    Does anyone know of any issues when using an eircom pop3 email on an IBB conection. I am able to receive emails fine (i think) but when i try to send them i get an error message:
    Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)'
    POP is for receiving mail. which works just fine. You're having SMTP problems, not POP problems.

An SMTP server has two "entrances", if you like. The inside entrance is used by customers of the ISP providing the server, and it allows those customers (who are recognized as customers because they are using the ISPs IP addresses) to send e-mail to servers anywhere else on the Internet.

The "outside" entrance is for non-customers, people who don't have an IP address that belongs to that ISP. Any mail arriving at that "outside" entrance will only be delivered to accounts on that server. This is done to prevent spammers using that server to spam people all over the world.

When you're connected with IBB, you're an "outsider" as far as the eircom SMTP server is concerned, so you can only send mail to @eircom.net accounts if you use the eircom SMTP server.

If you want to send SMTP mail from an IBB connected machine, you have to use the IBB SMTP server. (Probably smtp.irishbroadband.ie - I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't confirm that).

Originally posted by vibe666
    ...but IOL and ESAT have been blocked in response to the aforementioned blocking eircom IP ranges from using their mail servers in a tit for tat styleee.
    That's not true, I connect to IOL at home and can send from an eircom account fine (and I'm using mail1.eircom.net).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Id almost bet my life, that you have Spybot Search and Destroy installed. Either way, your "hosts" file has been edited.
    The short answer is that the Hosts file is like an address book. When you type an address like www.yahoo.com into your browser, the Hosts file is consulted to see if you have the IP address, or "telephone number," for that site. If you do, then your computer will "call it" and the site will open. If not, your computer will ask your ISP's (internet service provider) computer for the phone number before it can "call" that site. Most of the time, you do not have addresses in your "address book," because you have not put any there. Therefore, most of the time your computer asks for the IP address from your ISP to find sites.
    from here

Now to sort it out
    Boot into "safe mode", navigate to "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\"
    Here you will find a "hosts" file and probably a backup "hosts.bak", simply delete the "hosts" file and rename the backup one to "hosts"

More info about "hosts" here

• Advertisement

bazH, eh?

Originally posted by bazH
    Id almost bet my life,
    Don't make rash bets like that - someone might call you on it some day.

It doesn't matter what is in his HOSTS file (and you don't have to be in Safe Mode to restore it anyway), he won't be able to send mail to non-eircom addresses if he's trying to use the eircom SMTP server from an IBB machine.

(snip comments about the blind leading the blind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

are you sure you're using mail1.eircom.net to send the mail, and not the iol one?

things may have changed, but it used to be the case that anyone with an IOL IP address would not be allowed access to send mail through the eircom.net mail server.

as has been mentioned it was 'officially' done to stop spammers using eircom's mail relays, but unofficially it was quite widely known that the IOL & ESAT IP range was blocked from using the eircom mail server to send mail in direct response to having the eircom.net ip range blocked from using their mail servers.

maybe it's changed, i don't know, but it's not something i'm making up.

Originally posted by vibe666
    are you sure you're using mail1.eircom.net to send the mail, and not the iol one?
    Yep, sure I'm sure :)
    It works on pop authentication AFAIK, so once you check mail from mail1.eircom.net your IP is allowed for a certain amount of time to send mail via the mail server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭DavidByrne1969

Hi..

Just to add, I am having the same issues but it only does it on the first atempt, the second time I try, it sends the mail...

Its annoying but it works, only started happening since the new year.

:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 HostMan

Eircom will not allow you to access their mail servers unless you are online via eircom.

This is a fact... sorry Frank! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Unless, of course, you use webmail.eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 HostMan

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Unless, of course, you use webmail.eircom.net

Exactly, that will work :D

Originally posted by HostMan
    Eircom will not allow you to access their mail servers unless you are online via eircom.

This is a fact... sorry Frank! :)
    You're wrong, they do.
    Like I said above, I dial in to IOL and use the Eircom mailservers to send/receive on my Eircom email account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Frank's right !

I have IOL dial-up several months, and a few eircom email addresses working through the eircom servers.

No problem whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

eircom newsgroups access?

Originally posted by markyboy
    eircom newsgroups access?
    Nope. Sign up for a free news account on http://news.individual.net/ (formerly known as News.CIS.DFN.DE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by edcasey15
    Does anyone know of any issues when using an eircom pop3 email on an IBB conection.
    When I was connected to Irish Broadband I was told that they had no SMTP server, so I was never able to send emails via any mail program on my computer. I had to use the really crappy webmail program on http://webmail.u.tv

It might have changed now however. Email support@irishbroadband.ie and ask them if they have a SMTP server.

Serb

Advertisement